Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,348 Exploit Attempts.

Power Network Adapter - Anyone have experience with these?

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
neurosis
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:33 pm   Post subject:  Power Network Adapter - Anyone have experience with these? Back to top 

I'm moving my desk in to another room and dont want to run CAT cable through the house. Right now I am going to be stuck with WIFI until I can come up with another solution.

Has anyone used these things?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y3QPG1A/ref=s9_top_hd_bw_b50jE_g147_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=FGXE5YXM628RGT1C98X8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=0ca68705-435b-435c-94fb-a6803edcf6fc&pf_rd_i=1194444

Do they work worth a crap? Better than wifi?

Download Post  No rating  
Sin
Admin
Admin
87019 Points

USA US Michigan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:35 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

They work great if they're on the same circuit. Other wise they can really suck. Ive had an older set that pooped out everytime the microwave got turned on, and another, newer set that was totally flawless.

PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:50 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I may be shit out of luck there. The outlet that is near my router/cable model is on a different circuit than the outlets in the room im moving the desk to. I may be stuck with wifi.

I got a pretty decent card (asus PCE-AC68) but noticed some lag while I was playing last night. It would be fine for a while and then randomly start to lag on me.

Maybe I'll get used to it. I don't play enough to have it affect my game play I dont think.

Download Post  No rating  
Sin
Admin
Admin
87019 Points

USA US Michigan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:00 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I dont have any experience with them in the last couple years. Maybe the technology is better now and being on the same circuit doesn't mean shit anymore. I'd still look into it. I think JayD has been using them recently with some success? Talk to that faget and see what he says.

Admin
38083 Points

France US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:38 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

I used to have a pair of netgear ones years ago and the circuit situation was very important back then because the potential bandwidth were not great to start with, so any interference could alter your signal significantly.

I think nowadays they offer GB units where you still end up with a decent bandwidth even if there is interference or if you jump to a different circuit but don't take my words for it.

PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:55 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

I just noticed that in the description it states that it

"Works over circuits on the same panel"

So maybe being on a different circuit isn't as important with these.

Download Post  No rating  
Jayd
Retired
Retired
36465 Points

Puertorico US Florida
Yellow Cards: 1
Yellow Cards: 1
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:17 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I've actually never used Powerline adapters. I did read up about them a little while ago as an alternative to Wi-Fi but ended up ghetto-rigging an ethernet drop instead. I'll tell you this though: Anything's better than Wi-Fi. So I'd say give the Powerline adapters a shot. I'd probably buy 'em somewhere local like a Best Buy so if they don't work well, you can return them without being charged for return shipping. Best Buy also price-matches Amazon, too.

Brigadier General
67080 Points

USA US Ohio
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:41 pm   Post subject:  Re: Power Network Adapter - Anyone have experience with thes Back to top 

They don't have to be on the same circuit. I have a pair of Cisco ones that I use currently, and I also used them when I lived with my parents at the complete other end of the house from the router and they worked great. They weren't even on the same breaker box. I would recommend at least trying them. Just do your research and get ones that can handle the kind of traffic you're going to be pumping through them and have good ratings.

Download Post  No rating  

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic