Instruments of War :: Official site for the Enemy Territory clan Instruments of War

Instruments of WarGeneral ChatPower Network Adapter - Anyone have experience with these?

#1:  Power Network Adapter - Anyone have experience with these? Author: Guest Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:33 pm

I'm moving my desk in to another room and dont want to run CAT cable through the house. Right now I am going to be stuck with WIFI until I can come up with another solution.

Has anyone used these things?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y3QPG1A/ref=s9_top_hd_bw_b50jE_g147_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=FGXE5YXM628RGT1C98X8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=0ca68705-435b-435c-94fb-a6803edcf6fc&pf_rd_i=1194444

Do they work worth a crap? Better than wifi?

#2:   Author: Sin Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:35 pm

They work great if they're on the same circuit. Other wise they can really suck. Ive had an older set that pooped out everytime the microwave got turned on, and another, newer set that was totally flawless.

#3:   Author: Guest Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:50 pm

I may be shit out of luck there. The outlet that is near my router/cable model is on a different circuit than the outlets in the room im moving the desk to. I may be stuck with wifi.

I got a pretty decent card (asus PCE-AC68) but noticed some lag while I was playing last night. It would be fine for a while and then randomly start to lag on me.

Maybe I'll get used to it. I don't play enough to have it affect my game play I dont think.

#4:   Author: Sin Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:00 pm

I dont have any experience with them in the last couple years. Maybe the technology is better now and being on the same circuit doesn't mean shit anymore. I'd still look into it. I think JayD has been using them recently with some success? Talk to that faget and see what he says.

#5:   Author: Sir Sux-A-Lot Post You have posted in this forum: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:38 am

I used to have a pair of netgear ones years ago and the circuit situation was very important back then because the potential bandwidth were not great to start with, so any interference could alter your signal significantly.

I think nowadays they offer GB units where you still end up with a decent bandwidth even if there is interference or if you jump to a different circuit but don't take my words for it.

#6:   Author: Guest Post You have posted in this forum: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:55 am

I just noticed that in the description it states that it

"Works over circuits on the same panel"

So maybe being on a different circuit isn't as important with these.

#7:   Author: Jayd Post You have posted in this forum: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:17 pm

I've actually never used Powerline adapters. I did read up about them a little while ago as an alternative to Wi-Fi but ended up ghetto-rigging an ethernet drop instead. I'll tell you this though: Anything's better than Wi-Fi. So I'd say give the Powerline adapters a shot. I'd probably buy 'em somewhere local like a Best Buy so if they don't work well, you can return them without being charged for return shipping. Best Buy also price-matches Amazon, too.

#8:  Re: Power Network Adapter - Anyone have experience with thes Author: sum1else Post You have posted in this forum: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:41 pm

They don't have to be on the same circuit. I have a pair of Cisco ones that I use currently, and I also used them when I lived with my parents at the complete other end of the house from the router and they worked great. They weren't even on the same breaker box. I would recommend at least trying them. Just do your research and get ones that can handle the kind of traffic you're going to be pumping through them and have good ratings.
Instruments of WarGeneral ChatPower Network Adapter - Anyone have experience with these?

Generated using printer-friendly.