Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,348 Exploit Attempts.

IoW Admin Hitbox Testing Results

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun May 18, 2008 9:58 pm   Post subject:  IoW Admin Hitbox Testing Results Back to top 

The admins and a few other members spent about 90 minutes or so testing out hitboxes. Below you can see dozens of screenshots and a few demos if you'd like to see it all for yourself.

Basically what we did here was compare the current hitboxes (g_hitboxes 0) against the so-called improved hitboxes (g_hitboxes 31).

The results are pretty clear.

STANDING

g_hitboxes 0

g_hitboxes 31

Clearly, you can see with our hitboxes the way they have been, a shot at the head that missed would still score a body shot. With improved boxes the body hitbox is lowered to the shoulders. This makes it harder to get headshots.

You can see that hitbox in action here:

I am shooting at shell (you can see my crosshair) plainly outside the frame of his body, yet I was scoring hits.

CROUCH

g_hitboxes 0

g_hitboxes 31

Again, the body hitbox is lowered to the shoulders. We were all lagging pretty hard when we did this, so you can see the trail when the player is moving in the last shot (more on that later)

PRONE

g_hitboxes 0

g_hitboxes 31

This is the most appauling of all. The size of that body box with 0 is huge. Clearly an improvement with 31.

DEAD

g_hitboxes 0

g_hitboxes 31

Again, huge boxes for 0.

PLAYDEAD

g_hitboxes 0

g_hitboxes 31

LAGGING-MOTION

This was an interesting experiment in seeing the server from the eyes of a lagger. With all the extra processing and debugging, we all lagged at around 500 or higher ping. You can see this plainly in the trails left behind players as they moved in the following shots:

me moving backwards

Crazy jumping

ANOMALIES

Some strange stuff happened as well, as you can see:

He is not jumping, he's standing on the axis medic here.

Nort for some reason still had the old hitboxes - lol.

In this shot, you can see how a player who is "hiding" around a corner is exposed to shots:

So, what did we decide.

Everyone there agreed that hitboxes 0 was a joke. So we turned on hitboxes 31 on the server. What does this mean? Expect your accuracy to drop. Now a lot of people are complaining that the boxes already suck for some reason.

THis could be to antilag and antiwarp. Both settings that Nort and Shell tested out, I'll let Nort explain that one, but I believe he did see a difference with antilag turned off. That remains to be seen.

As far as accuracy, it only seems reasonable to me and many others that if you are shooting at the head and you miss, you SHOULD miss and not get a body-shot as a consolation prize. That is going to be the biggest thing you'll notice with the new boxes.

I played for about 3 hours with a pretty full server, and I admit my accuracy did go down. IMO, that is ok, it just takes an adjustment. We'll see how it plays out.

Oh, if you want to sit through some really long and dull demos:

http://www.iowclan.net/iow/images/hittest/hit-test-demos.zip

props to:
shell
nortie
plan9
wolvie
quazi
crazy_rpg
venom
scraebbes

...for helping with the testing.
anyone else?

Last edited by BECK on Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:36 am; edited 2 times in total

IoW Fanboy
14159 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon May 19, 2008 10:49 am   Post subject:  Re: IoW Admin Hitbox Testing Results Back to top 

huge hitboxes lol

El Presidente
El Presidente
102938 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon May 19, 2008 12:15 pm   Post subject:  Re: IoW Admin Hitbox Testing Results Back to top 

Basically we tested the antilag/antiwarp. Shell and myself.

WIth antilag off - shell noticed a HUGE difference in trying to hit me when i was moving side to side. He missed me more often then he shot at me for headshots. Antilag on really made a different to him being able to hit me.

We really couldnt find too much difference for antiwarp on/off.

Realhead comes in to play when a person is moving, or hiding behind corners. With realhead off your headshot hitbox follows slightly behind a player. realhead on the hs hitbox stayed with the player.

Download Post  No rating  
ShellShocked
Retired
Retired
14550 Points

USA US Kentucky
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon May 19, 2008 1:26 pm   Post subject:  Re: IoW Admin Hitbox Testing Results Back to top 

JEWMAN wrote (View Post): › huge hitboxes lol

Well this is ETPUB ...

IoW Regular
10684 Points

USA US New Hampshire
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon May 19, 2008 1:51 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Lol alright, I'll stop bitching about the hit boxes. Thanks for doing a conclusive test on the hit boxes.

But one question, why does it go from hitboxes 0 to hitboxes 31?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Made this one for fun Very Happy
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Download Post  No rating  
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon May 19, 2008 2:06 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

It is a bitmask thing.

0 means no improvements. Then with a combination of turning on bits, you enable other features:

1 - 2 - 4 - 8 - 16

Add those up (turn them all on) and you get 31.

Code: ›
g_hitboxes [integer]
This is a bitflag cvar that currently supports the following flags:

lower the standing player's body hitbox to the shoulders.
lower the crouching player's body hitbox to the shoulders.
lower the wounded player's body hitbox to a reasonable height
lower the prone player's body hitbox to a reasonable height
lower the playdead player's body hitbox to a reasonable height
The default is 31 which means use all of the improved hitboxes. Set it to 0 to use the unmodified hitboxes from etmain.

Retired
Retired
62486 Points

Poland US Illinois
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon May 19, 2008 11:22 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

thank you a ton guys, that much closer to great hitbox and will be more pro-like, acc will drop but gameplay will be lot more fun and challenging

General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue May 20, 2008 7:55 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

I like the challenge, personally. What it shows us is that we weren't all as good as we thought we were. All those times someone said "bs, I had my crosshair on your head the whole time". Well, maybe, but you were scoring body shots with the 'awesome' etmain hitboxes Razz. No more of that, headshots are headshots. Above the shoulder and to the left, is above the shoulder and to the left and a miss, the way it should be.

Retired
Retired
52130 Points

USA US Illinois
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue May 20, 2008 8:34 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

I played again last night and I liked them. But I didnt mind the other ones either so I guess thats not saying much.

11489 Points

Canada European Union
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue May 20, 2008 11:56 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

I enjoy these ones even more since its a greater challenge to get HS's. It will force me to shoot better.

Download Post  No rating  
DarkStrike
IoW Regular
10684 Points

USA US New Hampshire
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed May 21, 2008 6:59 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Yeh im liking these new hitboxes now, once you get a hang of them its nicer. Now I don't die as fast xP

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Made this one for fun Very Happy
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Download Post  No rating  
Quizzle
Retired
Retired
20692 Points

Canada CA Alberta
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu May 22, 2008 8:21 am   Post subject:  Re: IoW Admin Hitbox Testing Results Back to top 

I like the new hitboxes. I think they work well. People just always, always, always have to complain about changes because they can blame their crappy aim or mistakes on something else besides themself. (including myself)

*COUGH* RAIDER/WALMART, etc...*COUGH* Razz

I´m so.... Quizzled.
Download Post  No rating  
Fuzzy Burrito
IoW Fanboy
9964 Points

Canada CA Ontario
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu May 22, 2008 12:38 pm   Post subject:  Re: IoW Admin Hitbox Testing Results Back to top 

Swimming, tug and tank-mounted MG hitboxes? Or too much to ask?

IoW Supporter
3034 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu May 22, 2008 2:15 pm   Post subject:  Re: IoW Admin Hitbox Testing Results Back to top 

Dear Admins,

Thank You. I appreciate all your efforts to make this server a better place to play.

You guys do alot, and it doesnt go unnoticed.

Sincerely,
Chris

Download Post  No rating  
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu May 22, 2008 2:23 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Thanks Tech, nice to hear that anytime Very Happy.

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic