Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,349 Exploit Attempts.

Server Scrim idea

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
Poll :: public server scrims?

no dumb idea
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
yes sounds fun
66%
 66%  [ 8 ]
maybe, but it sounds like alot of work.
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Voted : 0
Total Votes : 12

raider35
Noob
2973 Points

USA US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:16 pm   Post subject:  Server Scrim idea Back to top 

-This is just an idea that i think would be alot of fun, but its completly up to IOW.

I propose that IOW host a Public Scrim sessions weekly. As in lock the server down with a password that is posted on the forums, availible to those who check, and have IOW + Pugs connect and scrim. This is similiar to a practice session i guess but pugs would be allowed to participate. People who are out of control get the boot, other than that people connect to ts/vent and have a good time scrimming.

I also think this is a chance for experience players to help less experienced players see a whole new aspect of playing the game. Trust me pugging is fun, but a laid back scrim with friends is even more fun. Teamwork would be enforced as the goal for these scrims would be for your team to win as a whole and not a players stats. I know i tend to get my stats high while pugging, but during a scrim ill be a whole diff style of player most havent seen.

Strats are good but not always neccassary as long as players play as a team it will be pretty competitive fighting for the objectives.

Teams can be determined by like IOW vs public, or like captains pick their team 1 by 1. So no one feels like their a last pick , captains can just drop a channel on ts/vent and choose. If teams are uneven then just re pick, no biggie.

The only problems i see doing sumthing like this is having to much of an attendance and having people left out, or not enough showing which u can always re unlock the server which isnt that big of a deal.

I hope u like this idea and decide to do sumthing of this fashion but all that would be needed for sumthing like this is a simple forum post including:
Day:
Time:
Server IP:
Server Pass:
Ts/vent IP:
Ts/vent Pass:
Sign up sheet-------Those that sign up should have priority over those who dont in the case of a full server.

And admins to lock/unlock the server

Download Post  No rating  
PistolPete
Retired
Retired
62486 Points

Poland US Illinois
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:24 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

cool idea but thing is, server attendance has bene low recently and i doubt beck or stevo would wanna lock down the pub server in case peeps that dunno about the pwd cant sign on

HOWEVER, while nort still aint fuckin around with the other server, the scrim can be made on the other server sinceits never in use, and even if nort is fucking around with it, its pretty ez(i think) to reset it back to standard pub, that iow reg iow pub is open and the other one can be used for scrims

Download Post  No rating  
HEROINMAN
Retired
Retired
18529 Points

USA US Maryland
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:35 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I agree that could be good for the better people to help the new/not so good people out but yeah not on the regular server but definetlly should think about it for the private server.

Retired
Retired
52130 Points

USA US Illinois
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:53 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Yeah i wouldnt mess with the pub server and lock it down. We have a godd amount of people showing up during afternoons.Once it becomes later everyone starts elaving until at night it actually ends up empty. As stated above,we can use the private server,but Nort will be doing server config testing starting Monday. (different thread on this topic for anyone intesrested in helping Nort with the testing) Another problem would be getting alot of pubs on the private. Most of them dont come on the forums very often,so we can prolly only PM them the pass and IP. Other than that it might work. If/when it does,I call dibs on Raider. Wink

8082 Points

USA US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:55 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

This is pretty much what is happening by default whenever I'm on, anyway. I only see IoW or regs and it's never that many folks after 8:30 or so.

Thing about the idea is:
Regs that are not selected will most likely get their feelings hurt. I know everyone wants to think they don't care, but they probably do...just a bit.

I see it as a way to further divide what's left of the community. People already regard some as elitest frag-happy selfish players. While a good-hearted attempt to rectify that situation, the people that are most-likely to think that way probably won't be on the server to see you and others play "competitively" instead of "for fun"/"selfishly"/whatever.

Play the way you want all the time and if people don't like it, then tough.

They play how they want to play, but think it's cool to berate others for the same. You shoot them in the back because they weren't paying attention, and you are a backrager. They shoot you in the back and they give you a "Hello!" in global like they just roasted you face to face with 3 hs. People are hypocritical and the "Internets" just add fuel to to fire.

In short, good idea in theory, but it will probably have results far from intended ones.

Sorry Raider,
J

Download Post  No rating  
sum1else
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
67080 Points

USA US Ohio
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:58 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I had suggested something like this in another thread, the basketball thread possibly?, but it was just an interclan thing. I think it's a good idea to open it up to pubbers as well, and will put a big emphasis on teamwork which might get people to understand the concept a little better. Rolling Eyes I think it's a good idea, and can be done on the private server with the stock maps. If the people who sign up want, we could even switch it over to etpro to see if they like it, and prefer it for these scrims. Scrimming for fun is a good idea, especially for people like me, who want to compete, but are not available all the time for practices and things. Another great way to get the pubs, regs, and even members to mingle some. I know I don't know a lot of the people in the clan very well, and it can bring us closer together, learn each others strong points, and just have a great time.

Two Cents

sum1else out.

Download Post  No rating  
Quazi
Retired
Retired
16243 Points

Poland
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:08 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

@Raider

Good idea, I'm in.

@Nerv

It won't divide people if:

1) They first sign up for a scrim on forums
2) When we have them signed up we make teams trying to make them as even as possible. So we can take a guy who isn't that good and a killer guy who will counterbalance the 'noob'. And for the next scrim we chose people who haven't taken part yet so nobody would be harmed.

The biggest prob would be to gather everyone at one time.

Download Post  No rating  
DrEvil
IoW Supporter
195 Points

USA US Michigan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:08 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Great Idea!!! I love competitive play and more importantly teamwork. So, if it happens I am in, oh and you can pick me last I don't care.

I would love to see this come togethor somehow but it probably won't happen unless one of the admins wants to take the time and effort. Which I am sure they will if there is enough people that respond. We certainly have enough clan members and regulars to make it happen.

Download Post  No rating  
Quazi
Retired
Retired
16243 Points

Poland
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:11 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

DrEvil wrote: › unless one of the admins wants to take the time and effort.

I will do that with pleasure. Hell, I can even do that in your USA play hours unless i've got work at school. As you said, it's just a matter of how many people will be interested.

Download Post  No rating  
DarkShadow
IoW Supporter
213 Points

PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:06 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

im in 2

Download Post  No rating  
Wal-Mart
IoW Regular
15244 Points

USA US New York
Currently banned
Currently banned
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:59 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Decent idea,

Could be big probs if the teams are "uneven"... you said repick... cool... How do we decide uneven?

Could also lower current/future server people...

If someone sees the server locked for the first time they may not check again...

pupers not on the forum may not come back as they dont know what is going on...

Perhaps do this with the pro server?!

Download Post  No rating  
Quazi
Retired
Retired
16243 Points

Poland
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:12 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

@Wal

Read carefuly prev posts. I thought it was obvious we wouldn't have done it on our reg pub server.

Download Post  No rating  
Wal-Mart
IoW Regular
15244 Points

USA US New York
Currently banned
Currently banned
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:46 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Quazi wrote: › @Wal

Read carefuly prev posts. I thought it was obvious we wouldn't have done it on our reg pub server.

Indeed skimed more then read after raiders post... o well see it now...

Will take more then norts testing time to set this stuff up...

your going to need to wait a few weeks to get people to know its going on...

Download Post  No rating  
raider35
Noob
2973 Points

USA US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:38 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

to the thing about redoing teams if their uneven etc, its not really hard to see whos on their game or not, everyone has their good and bad days, wont be too hard to see who should trade over to teams or not. i do PUG scrims all the time with wats left of the et competition community. Teams tend to get stacked but next round we easily swap the players around and it gets really close and interesting.

To the thing about people getting their feelings hurt etc if their not in or neglected, like i put in that post, a sign up sheet might be ideal, then after those players get their spot, first come first serve i guess, However TS/Vent would be mandatory because of the process of picking and team communication. it simply takes way too long to type it all out from what ive seen. Also theirs so many ways of picking teams silently and then saying u, u, u ,u and u on axis, him, him him her on allies. no one exept captians no who was picked first or last.

I think the biggest thing would be to find a simple time everyone would be able to show up at. Im sure people would make more of an effort to show but it was always hard to get people to show each time for pracs back in cw, but i think it would be easier since the target group is beyond a clan size and theirs so many consistant puggers that show.

Download Post  No rating  
Wal-Mart
IoW Regular
15244 Points

USA US New York
Currently banned
Currently banned
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:34 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

still does not define even... is even no one wins? Wins at the last min...

See I could see me and jew playing allies and wining a decent amount because we play as a team. Is that unfair? Just as an example

Could be a cool thing.

Whos gona orginize this? (if i missed that, i will read everything again lol)

Download Post  No rating  

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic