Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,349 Exploit Attempts.

Lag/Ping Compensation

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
Fuzzy Burrito
IoW Fanboy
9964 Points

Canada CA Ontario
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:28 pm   Post subject:  Lag/Ping Compensation Back to top 

this is what has nearly driven me to uninstall this game, as my skill seems to decay each day, it seems.

i am tired of aiming at the head, and not getting a head shot. if my crosshair is aimed at your curlies, i want to see your curlies on the ground, because i shot them off. i am tired of enemies having their back to me, firing, and popping my bucket off. i am tired of being killed around corners. i know this is a reality of online gaming, and will be until the sun is exhausted. but until i can afford a T3 connection, im gonna need to know some things.

i have an average, and for simplicity, say 100 ping. that is a ping of 0.1 seconds. if i am shooting at someone with a ping of 50, do i aim the difference (0.05 seconds), or the total (0.15 seconds) ahead of that player, in order to hit them. the same with 200 pingers, etc.

if that wasnt clear, which i doubt it was, i am asking -- where do i need to aim in relevance to an enemies player model for me to hit them? how does a high or a low ping affect this "zone"? et cetera, et cetera.

can anyone tackle this for me? PWEAAASE.

IoW Regular
803 Points

Columbia
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:01 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Nilla.....do your thing...

x.

Download Post  No rating  
Nilla
IOW Anger Managment
1037 Points

USA US Minnesota
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:36 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

unfortunately the situation you talk about doesn't need much splaining. If they have a higher ping than you, then the situation you just described will happen no matter what. HOWEVER, if thier ping is considerably lower.....blame it on pub hitboxes. I can't count the number of times I have shot at someone with a 250 ping against my 50...only to watch them warp sideways to my bulletspray dismay. Pro boxes seem to even the playing field for pings but pub never had much for consistancy. There still isn't a good explanation yet why some 250 pings can play normally while some can't. It goes against logic, but who knows. Only hitbox probs I have had with pro is when peeps use cl_timenudge

Ice

Download Post  No rating  
Nervous
IoW Regular
8082 Points

USA US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:27 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

I think the natural tendency with anyone who has shot a real gun is to "lead" the person running. With people with pings over 100+ I've found that I actually hit them by shooting slightly BEHIND them. I have no idea why, but it would explain why coming back after such a long time away, I am having slight issues with it.

Download Post  No rating  
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:40 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Geez, now all we need is a tooltip popup on all players on screen that show their ping....so we know how to aim, I guess. Rolling Eyes How the hell are you telling me that you aim ahead of 100 ping players (or behind, whatever) when you have no idea which player on the other team is the one you're shooting at? Sure, maybe you can make an educated guess because the 100 ping guy is the only medic on that team, or whatever, but it just seems silly to me to constantly be looking at the pings of the opposing team and trying to adjust for each individual player.

Man I understand your frustration, but I can count on one hand how many times I've had a guy locked in dead aim and shot nothing but air. But it could just be that you're all better players then me and I just expect to miss more often, IDK...

El Presidente
El Presidente
102938 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:29 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

just aim for a headshot and strafe them,you sure to get a hs then ;O

Download Post  No rating  
Nervous
IoW Regular
8082 Points

USA US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:43 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

I didn't mean to infer that I check everyone's ping Beck. I just look at the list and if there's some players with high accuracy that are 200's then I try to aim a little behind for EVERYONE, figuring I can make it up on the lower accuracy players.

@Nort - I almost never aim away from head level, well not on purpose anyway, unless the first 8 shots missed their head, as is the case here.

Truth is, maybe my free Dell mouse could have something to do with it, a response thing. It seems like the config the guy gave me (again legal), made things different as far as the mouse went.

I don't know all the mouse settings. I just lower m_pitch as low as legal and I'm done. He was setting stuff about acceleration and such. It was nice though. Need to find that guy again. Wink

J

Download Post  No rating  
Nort
El Presidente
El Presidente
102938 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:52 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

check your system settings, i find i do better having smooth mouse on in my settings. with a 3.0 sensitivity

Download Post  No rating  
Nilla
IOW Anger Managment
1037 Points

USA US Minnesota
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:20 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Nervous wrote: › I didn't mean to infer that I check everyone's ping Beck.

I will infer that I do in fact look at peep's pings when I join.....when I can't hit someone in particular.....when they warp 3 body widths .......when my rifle nade launches a med even though it only deals 10 damage....when I die without firing at the med coming around the corner...when I die even though the med HASN'T come around the corner yet....

Ice

Download Post  No rating  
OmegaBlade
IoW Regular
1908 Points

Srilanka
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:19 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Nervous wrote: › Truth is, maybe my free Dell mouse could have something to do with it, a response thing. It seems like the config the guy gave me (again legal), made things different as far as the mouse went.

I don't know all the mouse settings. I just lower m_pitch as low as legal and I'm done. He was setting stuff about acceleration and such. It was nice though. Need to find that guy again. Wink

J

yo nervous if u find the guy can u ask him to give me the settings also he has plz.. Rolling Eyes and wats the lowest value u can give to m_pitch.

Download Post  No rating  
Karnivore
IoW Fanboy
974 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:41 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

on pub .0151

Command, /set m_pitch .0151

Download Post  No rating  
pubstars
IoW Supporter
1361 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:53 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

BECK wrote: › Man I understand your frustration, but I can count on one hand how many times I've had a guy locked in dead aim and shot nothing but air. But it could just be that you're all better players then me and I just expect to miss more often, IDK...

It happened to me alot yesterday. But I don't think it is ping, but just pub hitboxes. Fo example a guy was standing in the open with no movement. I crouched, aimed at his head, and hit him only 1 out of 10 times. mind you I was on top of the ramparts on oasis and he was under those tent things. Just really fricking weird. I alos had an occasion where the guy was a foot away from me and not strafing. I shot at his head and didnt hit ONCE. Meanwhile he 4 hs me. Maybe I'm just used to pro, maybe its pings, I really don't know. Neutral

8082 Points

USA US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:43 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

See my latest post...me and Nilla were having a hard time killing this Error$ guy even though obviously hitting him. I posted my stats from the round. 2.0+ hs per kill 42% on Thompson and 46 on Mp40 and still couldn't hit the guy head or body at point blank with him not moving. The times I did get a HS he dropped 3-4 ft to the left of where I shot, warped almost.

Just beyond strange.

Download Post  No rating  

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic