Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,349 Exploit Attempts.

Testing this week -- Metered Spawn Times

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:27 pm   Post subject:  Testing this week -- Metered Spawn Times Back to top 

As you aware (or maybe not), our server runs with accelerated spawn times. What this means is, every map has hard-coded spawn times that the map designer felt best balanced the map. In some cases (horrible as it seems) those spawn times are upwords of 40 seconds. Can you imagine sitting for 40 seconds waiting to respawn? Who the hell wants to do that?

So therefore, it has always been an "IoW thing" to add more speed and action to the game by augmenting these times as appropriate for our server. In the early days, we just had mapscripts that would do it, where each map was literally discussed in admin threads for the best spawn times. A few years ago JvI added the limbotimes LUA script, which not only displays the current spawn times for each team, but would alter any map by reducing spawntimes by a factor of 60%. This helps to keep the ratios the original map designer intended, but eliminates the wait, there-by making the game feel a bit faster and add more action and less sitting around. So a map default of 30/20 would be 18/12. Using a LUA script is also meant that we didn't need to modify mapscripts, but that any map would automatically be adjusted.

This is NOT changing. This is one of those things that makes our server unique.

HOWEVER: One of the things we've been discussing this past few weeks deals with a lot of problems with even teams and games ending too fast, and some maps just flat out stacked statistically for one team or another. It could be bad map design, or it could be the delicate balance of spawn times that effect things.

We've had an idea of what I'm calling "Metered Spawn Times". What this means is, utilize LUA scripts we can actually change the spawn times as needed DURING a map. I know that sounds scary, and it may well be and may well be a big disaster. But what the basic premise is this:

- With a low number of players (5v5 max), our accelerated 60% spawn times works out fine and will remain.
- Medium number of players (8v8 max), spawn times would be slowed down to 80%.
- Full server, (9v8 or higher), spawn times would be map default (which means 40 second wait times on some maps, unfortunately).

Nort has also suggested that we max out at 80% for full server, so the ratios may be 60%, 70% and 80% respectively.

The thinking is, with so many players on smaller maps with really short spawn times, it can be extremely difficult for a team to regroup and adjust to make it necessary to defend or attack properly.

I hope you understand what this means. One week night this week, I'm going to hop on the server and we'll try this out. The server will scan the number of players (not counting specs) every 60 seconds and make global chat announcements about spawn times changing, so it won't be a surprise. We'll see how it goes and if it sucks, adds too much confusion and unpredictability, then we can scrap the idea.

Oh, and I don't give two shits about spawntimer scripts, so don't complain about that. Get one that can adjust if you absolutely have to have one. We're interested in creating a more fair and balanced experience for our players during extremely busy times. I'm tired of losing the same maps in 2 or 3 minutes because the sheer number of constant players makes it impossible to defend effectively.

So, any one have anything to say about this?

Admin
Admin
38083 Points

France US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:53 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Sounds like a good idea to try.

(which map has a 40s ST?)

Senior Admin
Senior Admin
104308 Points

USA US California
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:57 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Goldrush has 40 seconds I believe.

Hopefully this works. Good job beck

General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:59 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Might also help to show some data to back this up. Of the 10 most played maps on our server allies just dominates almost all of them. In order from highest win percentage to lowest:

MapAllied WinsAxis WinsWin PercentageWinning Team
Braundorf:
85%
Allies

Adlernest:
81%
Allies

Frostbite:
79%
Allies

Special Delivery:
74%
Allies

Oasis:
67%
Allies

Radar:
67%
Allies

Fuel Dump:
60%
Allies

Supply Night:
56%
Allies

Goldrush:
56%
Axis

Beerrun:
54%
Allies

Axis only has the edge on one map? And honestly, I think is related to the second tank barrier on the map. This is always where allies stall -- and its a few steps away from axis spawn.

Factors here: Either our teams always suck and allies are always stronger. Or....the maps are tilted towards allies winning (e.g. a true Stopwatch map). Or.....different spawn times actually do affect who wins the maps.

We'll never get 50/50 on these maps, and that is not the goal - but getting maps down into the 60/70% range for wins would be a start.

Brigadier General
Brigadier General
17505 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:05 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

+1 for this idea getting rolled through. 10v10 seemed like 30v30 chaos. I think this will help with the "allied team is up one even though allied team wins 80% of the maps". Harder to bum rush objective without the Stalin-istic waves of Ruskies behind you.

Download Post  No rating  
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:21 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I don't recall specifically what map had 40 second spawn times. But I almost shit myself when I saw it, but it might have also been something on another server (FA maybe)?

Retired
Retired
36465 Points

Puertorico US Florida
Yellow Cards: 1
Yellow Cards: 1
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:15 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

This sounds like a really good idea. I hope it works as intended. Let's see how it goes! Smile

P.S. I commend our admins for thinking about stuff like this to keep our server fun.

General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:20 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Pushing this to public forums as we're in an on-going test of this this week.

Last night saw it working, when enough players joined the spawn times changed accordingly. As to whether it made things better, that remains to be seen. I'm worried that in some cases it might have the opposite effect.

Retired
Retired
31257 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:43 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I think this could work out well. Maps can end to fast which is no fun at all.

Senior Admin
104308 Points

USA US California
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:55 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

309 Points

New Zealand
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:16 pm   Post subject:  Re: Testing this week -- Metered Spawn Times Back to top 

those 4 maps allies win the most braundorf adler frosty and special D perhaps they could have lengthened allied spawntimes or faster for axis maybe 18 18 or 20 20 even 18 20 might be times to start with and adjust from there

i know thats different from all the other maps but these are competition maps designed to set times even with default spawns and i think closer to equal spawntimes will suit the iow pub style

i think ET Beach has a 35 second default spawn

Download Post  No rating  
Krocsyldiphithic
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin
4010 Points

USA US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:24 pm   Post subject:  Re: Testing this week -- Metered Spawn Times Back to top 

This could either be HUGE success or a HUGE disaster. Either way it's worth a shot and is a really neat idea.

Download Post  No rating  
V2A2V2A2M
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
17505 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:57 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

I think we should really stress the "New Spawn Times are being tested, Join axis if Uneven teams." Maybe we can add something akin to the rolling messages?

Anyone else have thoughts on allies being up one with reduced spawn times? I'm not saying they don't need it now and again, but we're trying something here.

Download Post  No rating  
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:27 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Absolutely, the rule should be that at the beginning of a map, defending team should ALWAYS have the extra player. When someone joins mid map, they should join the team that needs the help more, even if it means allies go up 1. Say axis are camping the hell outta the allies then no reason axis should stay up one, but I think this is just common sense. Apparently some people think allies have to win every map for some reason.

I'm a bit hesitant to put a banner message about defending team getting the extra, because there are circumstances where it doesn't always make sense. But we're all adults, and we all care (hopefully) about keeping the server a fair and fun place, so lets all be grown-ups about it and take one in the chin now and then so that games are fair. Twice last week I switched to axis AFTER planting a dyno for allies. Yeah, it sucks to be your own worst enemy, but at least the map didn't end in 5 minutes. If I'm stuck playing axis all night, I'd rather lose every map in the last minute than lose any in the first 5. It just sucks the life out of you to constantly get beat down all night.

IoW Supporter
1877 Points

Canada
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:10 pm   Post subject:  Re: Testing this week -- Metered Spawn Times Back to top 

I couldn't be more for this idea. With higher numbers its way too insane sometimes with the 12-18 ST's, its usually just a steady onslaught without a chance to even reload. Likewise with smaller numbers you don't want to spend half your time in limbo. Being able to adjust it as more or fewer players are active.. it sounds wonderful...

GOOD WORK BECK AND JVI 10 for 10

Download Post  No rating  

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic