Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,349 Exploit Attempts.

Battery is awesome

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:15 am   Post subject:  Battery is awesome Back to top 

This thread was split from another (Scopey's member thread) because I can sense a FRIENDLY discussion of Battery Very Happy

ShellShocked wrote (View Post): ›
Yay I'm not alone in my hate for Battery.

Irrational hatred - I love Battery, its one of the most fun maps IMO. But yeah, I forgot that Shell hated Battery and usually goes spec LOL.

Last edited by BECK on Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:22 am; edited 2 times in total

Retired
Retired
102492 Points

Estonia
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:12 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

battery is only playable if you are axis or if you are allies and the bunker has been captured.

playing as allies on the beach is probably the lamest thing in the whole game of ET.

Download Post  No rating  
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:20 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

I will say this in the spirit of friendly discussion Smile......

Bunch of pussies around here, grow a sack, drop your needle and pick up some plyers and get up that damn beach head. ON THE CONTRARY! It can be very rewarding to break through Axis defenses and capture that forward spawn.

....ALSO.....I can't remember the last time I played this map where there wasn't a blowable back door. This gives allies a huge advantage if axis are spamming the beach with fire.

Yes, I'm sure if you're on FA and its 15v15, Battery is a suck fest of death for allies - but on the typical 5v5 we play it on our server, it is a fantastic map and not insurmountable for allies to advance and win that map.

splitting this off into a new topic because it has nothing to do with Scopey Smile

General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:26 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

...oh, I will concede that I probably have more fun as Axis on this map, but that's just because I love camping the back path in that bunker and mining the living shit outta that path

BUT --- I will be the first to switch to allies if they are being camped and people aren't having fun. This is one of the best maps for riflenades, so I guess if you're not one of those "engineer people" you probably don't like battery that much Wink

Retired
Retired
102492 Points

Estonia
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:33 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

the back door way makes sense if axis cant spawn at the friggin cp.

if axis can spawn cp and have a spawn time of like 10 seconds, it id damn near impossible to win the map.

Download Post  No rating  
ShellShocked
Retired
Retired
14550 Points

USA US Kentucky
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:42 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Well my "irrational hatred" was born before we had the blowable back door. A lot of allies would snipe or mortar which did very little to help. At the same time for axis it's just a turkey shoot... arty, sniper, panzers, mgs ect. As a eng or med trying to help him it's just annoying. Make it through the fire to blown to pieces by the arty spam...... The thing I hated the most is how it would almost always clear the allied team after it was over.

General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:45 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Haha, I guess that is why we all have opinions Razz I'm sure I'm in the minority with my "suck it up and run through the arty" attitude Razz

Admin
Admin
38083 Points

France US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:28 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Pump has a good point about the spawn times.

I like Battery a lot if it has:
blowable back door
default spawn times
I don't mind that Axis can spawn at CP when it's built (except for the very 1st spawn)

General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:36 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Yes, but the very same people who complain about default spawn times are the same people who complain that they hate sitting in spawn for 30 seconds. These people know who they are Wink

I realize that some maps were designed with a specific spawn time to make things more even. But there are a few things to consider --- how many players are on the server for these teams? If ET can support 64 player servers, then a default spawn time of 30 seconds is reasonable when you probably still have 20% of your team alive to be effective at something. But when there are 4v4, which lets face it, is typical on IoW server --- a 30 second respawn is instant death on most maps for the defending team. So you have to consider that the "default" isn't always the best thing here. We want a fast server with lots of action, so yeah, spawntimes have been lowered proportionately for BOTH sides so that the action is fast and frequent. I shouldn't be able to take a piss and get a drink waiting to respawn like some defaults have it. I mean jeez, you guys make it seem like allies never win Battery, and I would totally disagree with that. Ignore other servers, because that is not what we're talking about here. We're talking about our server, our numbers, our maps and scripts, and our settings.

I'm in the middle of a data crunching project for our server right now, and maybe I'll see what I can do about determining winning and losing teams on our maps to get some sort of perspective here. And I know it depends on the numbers and teams and ringers and all that, but those things average out over time. If I have 18 months worth of logs to crunch through, we can get some real numbers of who wins Battery on THIS server.

EDIT:
BTW - our server has:

wm_axis_respawntime 18
wm_allied_respawntime 15

Which means the default spawn times for that map are 30/25 - this is a proportionate shift in the times to get things lower than 20 seconds.

Retired
Retired
14550 Points

USA US Kentucky
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:41 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Don't think it has anything to do with what team wins... It's the overwhelming advantage axis has to start with. Sure you can fight through with the right team of obj focused players but ...thatsnot the case a lot of the time.

Edit: even when I'm axis I feel umm bored by how easy it is. I stay in the base and wait till allies have flag!

El Presidente
El Presidente
102938 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:47 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

i like battery. Yeah it sucks figthing your way up. but almost everytime the allies win if they do get past the initial beach stage.

Download Post  No rating  
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:57 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

And then there are the people (can't remember who, but I remember almost having a coronary debating them) that think that axis should NEVER win a map that all the maps are skewed for allies to win and if axis win its only because teams are stacked Rolling Eyes But i digress.... Razz

I guess I tend to like most maps, there are very few in the ET universe that I don't like playing. Some people are very finicky about maps, and that is their right, but I just don't get it Razz

Admin
Admin
87019 Points

USA US Michigan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:25 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

With everything default in ET, spawn times, and damage, and both teams are identical, lets say each team has 6 IoW Sin on them. Allies will win every map but battery and railgun(of the stocks).

I'm not saying I don't like battery, but shell is right, clear advantage for axis. It's great to have a map that is geared for axis to win, but its crap, the first half of the map is basically allies getting loose butthole'd until they get flag. The blowable back door is a nice addition, but a good engy can basically single handedly hold it. He can spawn right there. He can mine the holy fucking shit out of the little trail making it impossible to get through without taking damage, all the while he can just sit on one of the TWO MGs that are placed there.

But seriously, I love Battery on either axis or allies. If allies can manage to get the flag, the rest of the map is basically like every other map in the sense axis usually starts getting bulldozed.

And in modern ET. Axis can really only win if its stacked, or everyone has headsets on talking to eachother.

*disclaimer* this is my opinion and everything here was said with absolute even teams in mind.

General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:35 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Not denying that Axis have the tactical advantage in the first part of the map, but for me it is generally a fun challenge to try and overcome that advantage. I usually play engineer, so running into fire and building an objective when you know you're going to die is part of the job. Very Happy But I freely admit that most people don't enjoy that. And don't' get me wrong, 15 minutes of constant arty and I can't get one foot up the hill would be annoying and I'd probably be a bit pissed. But this is a rare occurrence in the hundreds of times I've personally played Battery for me to assume that I'm automatically fucked as soon as the map starts.

Go to a 20v20 server, all bets are off - this map is too small and no way allies are going to do shit with that many people.

Retired
Retired
4032 Points

New Zealand
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:26 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

I skimmed most stuff here but I agree with shell that my hatred (strong word - more like slight dislike) of the map spawns from the default settings, no blowable back door/cp spawn and all that. I also think the front entrance after allies get the flag is a bit bottle-necked too.

I remember back in the old old days everyone on axis would spam "DON'T GO ON THE BEACH!" so that the allies wouldn't be able to get a Uni. Literally the only way to win.

But yeah, like with most maps, it depends on the mood whether I like it or not. I totally forgot I mentioned that I didn't like it in my member post tbh, probably just trying to answer the question. For instance, I like baserace, but the other day I just couldn't play without getting frustrated.

So yeah... Bit of a ramble but it's late... Sheesh.

I like to crema all over myself.

Download Post  No rating  

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic