Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,349 Exploit Attempts.

Situation: Attacking the Fuel Dump with low numbers

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:00 pm   Post subject:  Situation: Attacking the Fuel Dump with low numbers Back to top 

I thought I would start a new series of postings to help spur discussions about ET tactics and strategy. In hopes to get some of the elite players to share some of their tactics with newer players.

This is the first of a series of situations I will post. If people show interest and this picks up, I will do more, and encourage other members to post their own situations.

For the purpose of discussion, these situations may feature unbalanced teams, or perhaps otherwise unrealistic situations. But remember, it's for discussion.

I'm not posting these as help for myself, but mearily to spur discussion. This is not necessarily a 'right' or 'wrong' answer type of discussion, I certainly don't want to encourge flaming here.

- Beck

-----------------------------------

Situation: A small allied team of three players must assult and destroy the fuel dump against an axis team of 4 or even 5 players. All players are assumed 0 XP with similar or equal skill levels

------------------------------------

Beck's Strategy

Dividing the map into phases, phase 1 is before the tank moves across the bridge. Phase 2 is before the door is blown, phase 3 is before the gate is blown, phase 4 is before the side wall is blown, phase 5 is after the side wall is blown.

Phase 1: Allies spawn with 2 engineers and 1 medic. All three players charge the parts, but not in a cluster (to avoid sniper slaughter). Assume the parts are going to be artied and that axis will have a sniper. Wait out of site if arty is hitting the parts, perhaps one player can begin advancing the tank. Once arty stops, all three players converge on the parts, with 2 engies, it will be built much quicker with the medic providing support and revives.

If absolutely impossible to get to the parts, a flank movement over the footbridge may divert attention, and perhaps either surprise snipers and or field ops providing a small window of opportunity to construct the bridge. Further, a sniper on allies can help to provide this window if the axis are well organized. Remember, the tank can be used against you too, so don't fix it unless the bridge is ready.

Phase 2 & Phase 3: Allies spawn 1 engie, 2 medics. Get that tank to the gate as soon as possible. When in the caves, the tank is rarely damaged, so one engineer can keep it going. Personally, I feel covert ops and field ops provide little value to allies at this phase of the map. Once the tank is out of the tunnels, watch for ambushes or flanking axis troops, and certainly be prepared for death from above. Both medics could do well to keep the ambushes to a miniumum, and hang out in the area around the gates, perhaps killing axis in the windows or at the MG position.

Phase 4: It might be worth taking a few shots at just getting in and trying to blow without the side door. Allies spawn 1 med, 1 covert ops (with sten or FG) and 1 engineer. This team should stick together, as with low numbers, a satchel on the gates is much quicker then waiting for dyno. Of course, the random axis uni is handy to do a sneak attack on the roof if full defenses are built. If you're wasting too much time with this tactic, time to move the tank and get yourself a second entrance to spread the axis out a bit.

Phase 5: Covert should take a few seconds to scan for mines before venturing in either the front gate or side wall. But I really feel a group of allies (not too tight, don't want any pussy-sticks wiping out the whole team) will get the job done quickly.

What I don't think provides much help on this map: Allied Field ops - short of thowing a cannister over the wall to clear things out a bit - with arty, you're going to be dropping it in places where your own teammates (ff is on) need to go. Also, snipers. So maybe you shot a few axis while they are running from their spawn, I really think you're better served trying to get uni's or satcheling defenses.

Retired
Retired
52130 Points

USA US Illinois
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:19 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Good strat. Also if u even get a window of oppurtunity to plant West and noone else on ur team can make it to u.Then plant all 15 mines,spread out of course thruout West,before u plant gate.This should buy u enough time to let dyno blow the gate and plant.Done this plenty of times and 75% of the time it works.Depends who ur playing against. I make my own backup. Wink

General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:31 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Yes - using mines on offense is something that a lot of people scoff at or neglect. Just ask ex_mayol about the value of offensive mines!

Also, don't forget covies to use your smoke more - it can help in this situation in two places:

1.) Providing engies cover while building the parts, and also to get through the gates!.

2.) Smoke on a planted dyno in the fuel dump almost always ensures destruction!

IoW Supporter
1361 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:46 pm   Post subject:  Re: Situation: Attacking the Fuel Dump with low numbers Back to top 

BECK wrote: › I thought I would start a new series of postings to help spur discussions about ET tactics and strategy. In hopes to get some of the elite players to share some of their tactics with newer players.

This is the first of a series of situations I will post. If people show interest and this picks up, I will do more, and encourage other members to post their own situations.

For the purpose of discussion, these situations may feature unbalanced teams, or perhaps otherwise unrealistic situations. But remember, it's for discussion.

I'm not posting these as help for myself, but mearily to spur discussion. This is not necessarily a 'right' or 'wrong' answer type of discussion, I certainly don't want to encourge flaming here.

- Beck

-----------------------------------

Situation: A small allied team of three players must assult and destroy the fuel dump against an axis team of 4 or even 5 players. All players are assumed 0 XP with similar or equal skill levels

------------------------------------

Beck's Strategy

Dividing the map into phases, phase 1 is before the tank moves across the bridge. Phase 2 is before the door is blown, phase 3 is before the gate is blown, phase 4 is before the side wall is blown, phase 5 is after the side wall is blown.

Phase 1: Allies spawn with 2 engineers and 1 medic. All three players charge the parts, but not in a cluster (to avoid sniper slaughter). Assume the parts are going to be artied and that axis will have a sniper. Wait out of site if arty is hitting the parts, perhaps one player can begin advancing the tank. Once arty stops, all three players converge on the parts, with 2 engies, it will be built much quicker with the medic providing support and revives.

If absolutely impossible to get to the parts, a flank movement over the footbridge may divert attention, and perhaps either surprise snipers and or field ops providing a small window of opportunity to construct the bridge. Further, a sniper on allies can help to provide this window if the axis are well organized. Remember, the tank can be used against you too, so don't fix it unless the bridge is ready.

Phase 2 & Phase 3: Allies spawn 1 engie, 2 medics. Get that tank to the gate as soon as possible. When in the caves, the tank is rarely damaged, so one engineer can keep it going. Personally, I feel covert ops and field ops provide little value to allies at this phase of the map. Once the tank is out of the tunnels, watch for ambushes or flanking axis troops, and certainly be prepared for death from above. Both medics could do well to keep the ambushes to a miniumum, and hang out in the area around the gates, perhaps killing axis in the windows or at the MG position.

Phase 4: It might be worth taking a few shots at just getting in and trying to blow without the side door. Allies spawn 1 med, 1 covert ops (with sten or FG) and 1 engineer. This team should stick together, as with low numbers, a satchel on the gates is much quicker then waiting for dyno. Of course, the random axis uni is handy to do a sneak attack on the roof if full defenses are built. If you're wasting too much time with this tactic, time to move the tank and get yourself a second entrance to spread the axis out a bit.

Phase 5: Covert should take a few seconds to scan for mines before venturing in either the front gate or side wall. But I really feel a group of allies (not too tight, don't want any pussy-sticks wiping out the whole team) will get the job done quickly.

What I don't think provides much help on this map: Allied Field ops - short of thowing a cannister over the wall to clear things out a bit - with arty, you're going to be dropping it in places where your own teammates (ff is on) need to go. Also, snipers. So maybe yshotou a few axis while they are running from their spawn, I really think you're better served trying to get uni's or satcheling defenses.

I'm glad you are doing this. Your strategies and participation is what is holding you back. Not your shooting ability. I'll provide the help I've learned since I left the clan. I'm going to give you the strats as I see them in a twl type situation. 3v3, 6v6, etc.

A little about fdops and arty. In twl you can't get away with throwing the canister over the wall and hoping it hits someone. You need to hide it so they cant see it before it hits them, and by throwing it in a place where they can see it they know exactly where you are. In a 3v3 matchup one of the worst things you can do is to let the other team know your position without knowing theirs. That's why camping like you have a fucking tent with you can win games.

As axis in fuel dump in 3v3, you can rape allies till they get the 2nd wall blown. There are too many places to camp without the allies being able to spot you before entering. On top of the first wall on the slant, behind the boxes, behind the tower, too many to list.

Once the 2nd wall is blown, you want to make them think you are going one way and siderape them from the other.

In phase 1 never charge the parts. You are telling them where you are going, and letting them rape you at their whim. You need to find someway to kill them and not let them know where you are coming from. If you have to let them know where you are coming from let a guy stick his head out, get to shot to crap, and get a revive. The med then stands behinds him till spawn protection wears out then the 3 jump out to different positions while keeping the medic under a minimum of fire.

just a few thoughts for now.

1361 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:50 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

BECK wrote: › Yes - using mines on offense is something that a lot of people scoff at or neglect. Just ask ex_mayol about the value of offensive mines!

Also, don't forget covies to use your smoke more - it can help in this situation in two places:

1.) Providing engies cover while building the parts, and also to get through the gates!.

2.) Smoke on a planted dyno in the fuel dump almost always ensures destruction!

Smoke is better in pub but twl area you want to use satchel. I can find the dyno by just looking at the light reflection and waiting for the "Defusing Dynomite" text

General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:55 pm   Post subject:  Re: Situation: Attacking the Fuel Dump with low numbers Back to top 

Keep um coming all, and don't neglect the other two similar posts.

pubstars wrote: › Your strategies and participation is what is holding you back. Not your shooting ability.

I assume you're talking about the clan as a whole, right? Not me directly, cause I'm not personally asking for ideas, just wanted to spur some strategy discussions. Even though you do make some good points - you're right about hiding your location. Any good player isn't gonna get wiped out by a smoke cannister in plain view - which is why I really stated that fops are of little value to the allies in this particular situation.

For all my stats, it goes without saying that you're not stomping through the middle of the map in full view (and hearing range) of the other team. I am constantly moving in a cautions manner myself, even if it takes longer to get anywhere.

IoW Supporter
1361 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:08 pm   Post subject:  Re: Situation: Attacking the Fuel Dump with low numbers Back to top 

BECK wrote: › Keep um coming all, and don't neglect the other two similar posts.

pubstars wrote: › Your strategies and participation is what is holding you back. Not your shooting ability.

I assume you're talking about the clan as a whole, right? Not me directly, cause I'm not personally asking for ideas, just wanted to spur some strategy discussions. Even though you do make some good points - you're right about hiding your location. Any good player isn't gonna get wiped out by a smoke cannister in plain view - which is why I really stated that fops are of little value to the allies in this particular situation.

For all my stats, it goes without saying that you're not stomping through the middle of the map in full view (and hearing range) of the other team. I am constantly moving in a cautions manner myself, even if it takes longer to get anywhere.

correct. I may be wrong, and I shouldn't have posted it. Lets talk about strats :>

El Presidente
102938 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:36 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

I say on attacking it is always best to get a guy up on that axis hill ASAP, a good medic up there (that knows to pick up enemy guns) can keep the sniper pits clear, the fo in hiding, and the axis occupied long enough for the allied to get the bridge up and tank moving. If you dont run someone up that axis hill the damn snipers have a easy time keeping your team down and supressed, while you are dealing with a art barrage also.

Download Post  No rating  
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:17 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Nort wrote: › I say on attacking it is always best to get a guy up on that axis hill ASAP, a good medic up there (that knows to pick up enemy guns) can keep the sniper pits clear, the fo in hiding, and the axis occupied long enough for the allied to get the bridge up and tank moving. If you dont run someone up that axis hill the damn snipers have a easy time keeping your team down and supressed, while you are dealing with a art barrage also.

Yes, good tactic. As an Axis engineer, I like to plant mines by the fenced areas where the allied players like to climb up the wall -- then a barbed wire fence and a mine in their face and they're lucky if they survive. But you're right, keeping that ridge suppressed is the key to getting the damned bridge built.

Come on peops -- I've got two other strategy threads for discussion! I'm sick of looking at 15 people logged in and no one is posting shit all day. So here's some stuff to talk about already! Smile Razz

El Presidente
El Presidente
102938 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:45 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

plant all yer mines there ya want buddy, once i hit one mine and know that the area is "hot" i do know where the 2nd fence jump spot it, that I have seen noone use but me Wink
oh yes, the noober nort does have some tricks. I just keep them in reserve. if anyone wants to know the 2nd fence jump spot let me know.

Download Post  No rating  
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:06 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Nort wrote: › plant all yer mines there ya want buddy, once i hit one mine and know that the area is "hot" i do know where the 2nd fence jump spot it, that I have seen noone use but me Wink
oh yes, the noober nort does have some tricks. I just keep them in reserve. if anyone wants to know the 2nd fence jump spot let me know.

LOL - it's not really a secret. I plant there too. Twisted Evil

El Presidente
El Presidente
102938 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:40 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

really? then i will have to fall back to the third fence jump

Download Post  No rating  
PistolPete
Retired
Retired
62486 Points

Poland US Illinois
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:18 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Nort wrote: › really? then i will have to fall back to the third fence jump

aint a secret either, the fourth one may be a secret

Download Post  No rating  
pubstars
IoW Supporter
1361 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:33 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

PistolPete wrote: ›
Nort wrote: › really? then i will have to fall back to the third fence jump

aint a secret either, the fourth one may be a secret

Only I know the 20th.

El Presidente
102938 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:43 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

there are more spots to jump the fence? i only found 3 myself. seriously

Download Post  No rating  

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic