Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,348 Exploit Attempts.

Custom maps on the XP->Save Pub Server

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
Poll :: Do you support the idea of expanding past stock maps?

Yes
52%
 52%  [ 11 ]
No
47%
 47%  [ 10 ]
Voted : 1
Total Votes : 21

BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:29 pm   Post subject:  Custom maps on the XP->Save Pub Server Back to top 

There's been discussion amongst the admins as to whether we want to reintroduce some custom maps into the XP->Save ET-Pub server.

There are strong feelings on both sides.

For one - customs tend to drive away players. Newer players don't like to download maps, and perhaps even playing on maps they're not familiar with.

On the other hand, adding customs brings some freshness to the server, especially with regard to playing the same stocks maps over and over again.

We've had an interesting history with adding customs. Last year, we added baserace_3 to the pub server, which appears to have dwindled our visitors down to a trickle. Maybe it was the map, maybe it was just the fact that the server wasn't 100% stock, maybe it was school/finals, whatever the reason, the fact that a non-stock map was in the rotation took the blame for smaller numbers and a drop in popularity of the server.

Even bringing this up will certainly cause some harsh feelings from our beloved leader Nort - he's willing to give customs one more try, but if the numbers start to go down, they're gone forever.

I'm just trying to get a feeling from members and the community abroad - what is the feeling about adding one or two customs? We're not talking about removing any stock maps (in fact, adding Railgun back) but in addition perhaps et_beach and supplydepot2. These are both custom maps that rank high in popularity (according to SL), and most seasoned players already have these maps downloaded.

My feelings are - I'd love to see some freshness on our pub server. Lets see how the rest of the community feels. I'm really looking for help from the non-members here, as you regulars represent the rest of the non-clan members who play on our server. Only a small percentage of pubs on our server frequent our boards (damn shame too...).

The question is simple, LETS KEEP THIS THREAD CLEAN. Would you continue to frequent the pub server if customs are added?

DO NOT use this thread to suggest maps. I WILL DELETE ALL SUCH POSTS!!!!. This is a simple yes or no question. You may respond with your feelings about customs vs stock in general, but please do not turn this into a "which custom/that map sucks/this map is cool" type of flame wars. Read the warning above....

General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:56 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Whoa - not trying to discourage replies here. I'm interested in hearing peoples thoughts on customs vs stock.

I just don't want this to turn into a thread about which custom is better. But please, especially those who voted 'No', I'd like to know why. Thanks.

Retired
Retired
20692 Points

Canada CA Alberta
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:16 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Yes, we need something new in the servers. The two custom maps you suggested are perfect too :].

I´m so.... Quizzled.
Download Post  No rating  
Karnivore
IoW Fanboy
974 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:21 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

No. I've given all the reasons before so i won't reverberate them. Having 2 empty pub servs will REALLY do us no good.

Download Post  No rating  
Nort
El Presidente
El Presidente
102912 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:38 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Ill go along with the trying to add 2 customs as i mentioned. BUT if it is unsuccessful this matter will not be brought up anymore.

To cite specifics for you:
we have tried adding a custom map to the server upon 3 seperate occasions using 3 seperate maps.
Before adding the customs the statistics would show we would average 12-14 players per day. After customs at the end of a 4 week period that would drop to an average of 6 players per day. Now of that average of six you can guess that a percentage of that 6 average were clan members that were staying faithful to the clan server.
Statistically speaking that the numbers are very bad to drop so much. As less people come to the server and it sits empty. others become less likely to join. Thus i had to start a full blown campaign to repopulate the server using different tricks and methods that did prove to be successful.
As we are going to roll over to a new host provider I will see if all three servers can be made public so that we may run the test on one of the others (we can alway spassword lock the pro server when needed for matches during this test) and then those that "want custom maps" can go sit on a empty server by themselves.

Download Post  No rating  
Quazi
Retired
Retired
16243 Points

Poland
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:26 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I dunno. I really don't like most of the customs instead of SupplyDepot2 and I think I'm not the only one (or maybe I'm wrong).

Delete that if it's not proper.

Download Post  No rating  
Karnivore
IoW Fanboy
974 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:19 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

So your gonna turn the match server to public pro and the other to custom pub?

Download Post  No rating  
Fuzzy Burrito
IoW Fanboy
9964 Points

Canada CA Ontario
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:24 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

@BECK - First off, During this post, I will be suggesting and flushing some possible maps. Not because I like or do not like them, but because they all do something different to the server. Delete at your will, but small edits would be much appreciated.

Sure as hell I do want some customs in the rotation. Servers I have become regulars on, have always been the original 6. It's far easier for someone to become a regular on a server with 6 (original) maps, rather than a server with 40 customs. It's just generally easier for one to cope with (6) maps, rather than a few dozen.

CASE #1 -- IF OUR SERVER GETS CUSTOMS
##############################################
If we get customs, they will obviously have to be the more well known ones. You can't jump from original 6, to orig. 6 + some maps a semi-noob has never heard of. It just doesn't work. The only way would be orginal 6 + well known customs. I think everyone already knows the boundaries on that. So, we do that, the server attendance WILL DROP! Honestly, our server is 1/3 n00bs, 1/3 experienced players, and 1/3 beta+. We'd probably lose all the noob population, and maybe a 1/4 the "experienced player" population. That would be a big blow. So can customs work for IoW? Of course, but theres two things we need. Loyal members/regulars, and LOTS OF ALIASING.

CASE #2 -- IF OUR SERVER STAYS WITH ORIGINALS
##############################################
If we stay with the originals, people will play here. Things will go as well as they have been. Hardly a day goes by when the server doesn't have 18+ people on it. Sure, one in 10 people or members will bitch and moan "ugh, originals are boring", but you know what? They still play here. And if they leave, someone will always fill their slot.

So, in conclusion. HELL YES I personally want customs. But I'd rather the server be filled with people. So don't so shit to nothin'.

IoW Regular
803 Points

Columbia
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:50 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I say we get Saberpeak....(jk Beck Wink )

as many of you know...I used to be a reg at a certain server..lets just call it...KoG... Wink

I played my first custom maps at KoG when I started playing ET (when I was a noob), and I loved the maps. I also noticed that the popularity of the server didn't go down [then], and KoG had a group of regulars just like IoW does. The maps were Supply Depot and SaberPeak. I say we should give it a try...and yes, the current rotation is kinda boring...

x.

Download Post  No rating  
StEVoNuB420
Retired
Retired
52130 Points

USA US Illinois
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:19 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I voted no cuz to put it simply,id rather play reg maps in a populated server than play custom maps with 3 v 3. But if we do addd customs make sure they are small maps so the beginners can learn them easy and download them fast.S Depot 2 is small and easy to learn,aside from that map there arent really any others I would suggest. Not Beach,too big and confusing.Edit what u will.

2722 Points

USA US New Hampshire
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:25 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I'd say put a couple of map rotations where some have Custom maps and just let the people playing just vote in the new maps if they want to. It would show us if they really want new maps. Back when I was in the ETF clan (I regret joining them) they had a system like that with a 30 slot server I never saw it full but they were never empty and there were always new people comming in. I say we just give the people the choice while they are gaming and macke a decion from there.

1361 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:49 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

The problem with these maps is it's hard to play on a pure pub. You can't just randomly frag and get away with it.

And if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

6971 Points

Ukraine
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:28 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Hm.. and I'm not even given an opportunity to vote. What is this world coming to!

EDIT #1: I would vote no, and swap Radar with Railgun.

EDIT #2: After Mr. BECK fixed the vote I have officially chosen "NO".

Last edited by mayol on Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Download Post  No rating  
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:25 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

mayol wrote: › Hm.. and I'm not even given an opportunity to vote. What is this world coming to!

EDIT: I would vote no, and swap Radar with Railgun.

You can't vote? Hmmmm....that kinda sucks. Let me check security.

EDIT: Try it now.

Retired
Retired
16243 Points

Poland
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:44 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

1 - As Mayol said. Changing radar for railgun would be a good move. It will give some freshness and exclude that shit map radar.

2 - I agree with Stev. It can't be a big custom map for beggining. I can say from my own experiance that big maps like beach or others, names I can't remember, are detterenting ppl that don't play very well or just those who want to have a good fight (it's easier to frag on a small map). I hate big maps thats why I usually don't play on our pro server.

3 - Damn, I will suggest 3 maps.

- Supply Depot 2 (it's a great map, sizes of a stock one)
- Caen (same)
- Venice (this one is a bit bigger but it's damn cool too)

The other fact I proposed those 3 is that they are best known from all customs IMO.

4 - FOR GOD SAKE don't put baserace on the server. I know many ppl hate that shit. So am I and I will surely stop playing on that fuckin bitchy map.

Download Post  No rating  

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic