Instruments of War :: Official site for the Enemy Territory clan Instruments of War

Instruments of WarRandom ShitWhich OS Do You Use? Goto page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
Poll :: Which OS do you use as your main?

Windows XP
43%
 43%  [ 7 ]
Windows Vista
50%
 50%  [ 8 ]
Mac OS(X)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Linux Distribution
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Voted : 16
Total Votes : 16

#16:   Author: Venom Post You have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:02 pm

Well I decided to reformat and install vista ultimate 64bit. So far it's a very appealing to the eye but I do like the old control panel. Other than that, it looks like a solid OS from what I can see so far.

#17:   Author: storm Post You have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:28 pm

xp keys are tied to hardware, change too much then you have a problem, can turn it on as many times as you like, if not a simple call to MS will solve the problem.

Also to clear up, vista stock vs xp stock vista is a slower OS while inside it. Loading maybe faster however vista uses more system resources than XP. Want proof look at the requirements of any new game. They now have XP and Vista, vista always needs more power than xp.

Dual boot is a good idea if you want to play around with vista, you can also look up some DX10 reviews, most state the performance hit vs quality over DX 9, is not worth it.

#18:   Author: PistolPete Post You have posted in this forum: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:23 pm

of course vista would use more resources, its a newer OS

im sure windows 95 used more resources than windows 3.1

and that windows 98 used more resources than windows 95

i find that the weakest argument/point anyone can bring up when comparing the 2 operating systems

#19:  Re: Which OS Do You Use? Author: allagor Post You have posted in this forum: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:54 am

Don't listen to the Vista haters, remember that anything new will always have problems that need to be fixed.

I don't know what my main is, I use different computers about the same amount.

One is a laptop with windows xp on it, which doesn't have enough ram to get me much past 10fps in et, usually 0 though.

The next that I use is Vista. NOTE: Vista is a new OS, so get a comp that can actually handle it! To keep it from dying immediately after we get rid of a virus on it, MAX SECURITY MODE! Well, almost, a little less than that so you don't have to go through a lengthy process to get audio files to play. (We all blame the virus on my sister )

I'm also trying to get dualbooted with Ubuntu on my laptop, but when my brother & I were putting it on, it stopped. The ISO burner must have flailed big time. Eventually going to make another disk.

#20:   Author: Venom Post You have posted in this forum: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:40 pm

Well It's been a couple days with Vista Ultimate 64bit, at first I had a problem with audio drivers and got a blue screen every time i tried to boot up after I installed windows updates. So I I formatted and reinstalled again, let vista install all my drivers automatically, even my video card driver, and it all is working now. Compatibility doesn't seem to be an issue so far. I also had a problem when I would run a game ( wolf et,cod4, spore ) and it would randomly give me a TDR error that nvlddmkm display driver has stopped working but has recovered. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was wrong, so I underclocked my video card and that error has disappeared. I like the vista Aero theme

#21:  Re: Which OS Do You Use? Author: sleepy Post You have posted in this forum: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:29 pm

i got vista!...
u should get it.. hopefully u mess up ur pc like u did mine!! Twisted Evil

#22:   Author: PumpkiN Post You have posted in this forum: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:54 pm

the only thing that i dont like about it is that for some reason i cant use the same bootleg copy of photoshop cs3, vegas 8, etc. for some reason they dont have places to put in acess codes for vista.. donno why. or maybe im looking in the wrong places.

#23:   Author: Venom Post You have posted in this forum: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:56 pm

I've got vegas 8 working in vista ultimate 64bit. I don't know about photoshop tho, gonna try that later.

#24:  Re: Which OS Do You Use? Author: gchip Post You have posted in this forum: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:40 pm

idk...i got both of em working in vista.
but i deleted photoshop. PAINT.NET ftw

#25:  Re: Which OS Do You Use? Author: sum1else Post You have posted in this forum: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:57 pm

Paint.Net is the shiz.

sum1else out.

#26:  Re: Which OS Do You Use? Author: Duckfoot Post You have posted in this forum: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:00 pm

I'm using Mac Os(X) but I'm having a bit of troubles with punkbuster.....
When I try to seta cl_punkbuster "1" it says that the file is a read-only file ?
Anyone have a gun or some weed so I can shoot myself/smoke up ? Either or would me much appreciated ;p

#27:  Re: Which OS Do You Use? Author: schism Post You have posted in this forum: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:41 pm

you need to google pbsetup and pbweb for mac, or if you have them already then run them.
Instruments of WarRandom ShitWhich OS Do You Use? Goto page Previous  1, 2  :| |:

Generated using printer-friendly.