Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,346 Exploit Attempts.

Which OS Do You Use?

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
Poll :: Which OS do you use as your main?

Windows XP
43%
 43%  [ 7 ]
Windows Vista
50%
 50%  [ 8 ]
Mac OS(X)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Linux Distribution
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Voted : 16
Total Votes : 16

Venom
Senior Admin
Senior Admin
104308 Points

USA US California
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:02 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Well I decided to reformat and install vista ultimate 64bit. So far it's a very appealing to the eye but I do like the old control panel. Other than that, it looks like a solid OS from what I can see so far.

251 Points

USA
Currently banned
Currently banned
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:28 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

xp keys are tied to hardware, change too much then you have a problem, can turn it on as many times as you like, if not a simple call to MS will solve the problem.

Also to clear up, vista stock vs xp stock vista is a slower OS while inside it. Loading maybe faster however vista uses more system resources than XP. Want proof look at the requirements of any new game. They now have XP and Vista, vista always needs more power than xp.

Dual boot is a good idea if you want to play around with vista, you can also look up some DX10 reviews, most state the performance hit vs quality over DX 9, is not worth it.

Download Post  No rating  
PistolPete
Retired
Retired
62486 Points

Poland US Illinois
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:23 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

of course vista would use more resources, its a newer OS

im sure windows 95 used more resources than windows 3.1

and that windows 98 used more resources than windows 95

i find that the weakest argument/point anyone can bring up when comparing the 2 operating systems

Senior Admin
44798 Points

USA US Illinois
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:54 am   Post subject:  Re: Which OS Do You Use? Back to top 

Don't listen to the Vista haters, remember that anything new will always have problems that need to be fixed.

I don't know what my main is, I use different computers about the same amount.

One is a laptop with windows xp on it, which doesn't have enough ram to get me much past 10fps in et, usually 0 though.

The next that I use is Vista. NOTE: Vista is a new OS, so get a comp that can actually handle it! To keep it from dying immediately after we get rid of a virus on it, MAX SECURITY MODE! Well, almost, a little less than that so you don't have to go through a lengthy process to get audio files to play. (We all blame the virus on my sister )

I'm also trying to get dualbooted with Ubuntu on my laptop, but when my brother & I were putting it on, it stopped. The ISO burner must have flailed big time. Eventually going to make another disk.

Senior Admin
Senior Admin
104308 Points

USA US California
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:40 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Well It's been a couple days with Vista Ultimate 64bit, at first I had a problem with audio drivers and got a blue screen every time i tried to boot up after I installed windows updates. So I I formatted and reinstalled again, let vista install all my drivers automatically, even my video card driver, and it all is working now. Compatibility doesn't seem to be an issue so far. I also had a problem when I would run a game ( wolf et,cod4, spore ) and it would randomly give me a TDR error that nvlddmkm display driver has stopped working but has recovered. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was wrong, so I underclocked my video card and that error has disappeared. I like the vista Aero theme

300 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:29 pm   Post subject:  Re: Which OS Do You Use? Back to top 

i got vista!...
u should get it.. hopefully u mess up ur pc like u did mine!! Twisted Evil

Download Post  No rating  
PumpkiN
Retired
Retired
102492 Points

Estonia
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:54 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

the only thing that i dont like about it is that for some reason i cant use the same bootleg copy of photoshop cs3, vegas 8, etc. for some reason they dont have places to put in acess codes for vista.. donno why. or maybe im looking in the wrong places.

Download Post  No rating  
Venom
Senior Admin
Senior Admin
104308 Points

USA US California
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:56 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I've got vegas 8 working in vista ultimate 64bit. I don't know about photoshop tho, gonna try that later.

10203 Points

USSR US Hawaii
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:40 pm   Post subject:  Re: Which OS Do You Use? Back to top 

idk...i got both of em working in vista.
but i deleted photoshop. PAINT.NET ftw

Brigadier General
67080 Points

USA US Ohio
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:57 pm   Post subject:  Re: Which OS Do You Use? Back to top 

Paint.Net is the shiz.

sum1else out.

Download Post  No rating  
Duckfoot
Noob
1639 Points

Canada
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:00 pm   Post subject:  Re: Which OS Do You Use? Back to top 

I'm using Mac Os(X) but I'm having a bit of troubles with punkbuster.....
When I try to seta cl_punkbuster "1" it says that the file is a read-only file ?
Anyone have a gun or some weed so I can shoot myself/smoke up ? Either or would me much appreciated ;p

Download Post  No rating  
schism
IoW Regular
11631 Points

USA US Hawaii
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:41 pm   Post subject:  Re: Which OS Do You Use? Back to top 

you need to google pbsetup and pbweb for mac, or if you have them already then run them.

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic