Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,355 Exploit Attempts.

any idea how to get better aim

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
PistolPete
Retired
Retired
62486 Points

Poland US Illinois
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:27 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

i have no mousepad, just uneven desk surface, sometimes cuz of this my quick left and right movements suck during firefights but i just deal with it

6971 Points

Ukraine
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:48 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

miller wrote (View Post): › Also, there was a time when I would have my primary mouse button bound to both fire *and* a command that lowered my horizontal sensitivity.

Thats pretty gay.

Download Post  No rating  
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279871 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:24 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

This thread is a sham. You don't need help with your aim? LMAO

Retired
Retired
40315 Points

USA US Massachusetts
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:13 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

mayol wrote (View Post): ›
miller wrote (View Post): › Also, there was a time when I would have my primary mouse button bound to both fire *and* a command that lowered my horizontal sensitivity.

Thats pretty gay.

Care to explain how?

BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279871 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:58 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

ex, be nice to miller. He's cool beans man.

Retired
Retired
40315 Points

USA US Massachusetts
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:36 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

cool beans.

mayol
IoW Regular
6971 Points

Ukraine
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:45 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

miller wrote (View Post): › Care to explain how?

Are you serious? Do you think you are not getting an advantage over other players by alternating your settings on the fly? You are getting the best of both worlds with zero effort: have you aim stable while shooting yet have nice flexibility when not. Now try keeping your face straight and tell me I'm wrong.

ET devs made a big mistake by allowing certan settings to be changed on the fly.

Download Post  No rating  
Gimli
IoW Supporter
2038 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:48 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Awareness is the best way to be a beast in ET. NOthing better than popping a few hs into somebody that hasn't seen you yet. Also on ETPub aim isn't as important as being able to move well. If somebody else can't hit you then you don't have to worry about much. When I played I always tried to aim at neck level. This way if they player couched you would not have to move very much to continue aiming at their head. (Nilla taught me this)

And I always use high sensitivity so I can turn fastly. You just have to use what you are comfortable with and then get used to it. If you change your settings often then you aren't going to get comfortable with them and your aim will be horrible.

Retired
55792 Points

USA US Minnesota
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:57 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Are you serious? Do you think you are not getting an advantage over other players by alternating your settings on the fly? You are getting the best of both worlds with zero effort: have you aim stable while shooting yet have nice flexibility when not. Now try keeping your face straight and tell me I'm wrong.

ET devs made a big mistake by allowing certan settings to be changed on the fly.

Actually, settings like altering mouse sensitivity help to even out the playing field a bit. Almost every modern gaming mouse has the ability to change sensitivities on the fly, so by having a setting in the software, everyone can have that ability... they just need to add in an appropriate file. I think it is better to give everyone the option instead of only the people with enough money to buy an expensive gaming mouse.

Plus, lowering your vertical sensitivity isn't much of an advantage if someone counters it by proning in the middle of a firefight. Wink

Download Post  No rating  
miller
Retired
Retired
40315 Points

USA US Massachusetts
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:13 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

JvIasterMind wrote: ›

Actually, settings like altering mouse sensitivity help to even out the playing field a bit. Almost every modern gaming mouse has the ability to change sensitivities on the fly, so by having a setting in the software, everyone can have that ability... they just need to add in an appropriate file. I think it is better to give everyone the option instead of only the people with enough money to buy an expensive gaming mouse.

Plus, lowering your vertical sensitivity isn't much of an advantage if someone counters it by proning in the middle of a firefight. Wink

Exactly. Whether you choose to do it within the game or at a lower level, it can almost always be done. And yes, lowering vertical sensitivity ruins your ability to compensate for an opponent's proning/crouching/jumping. Advantageous? No. Different? Sure.

mayol wrote: › Are you serious? Do you think you are not getting an advantage over other players by alternating your settings on the fly? You are getting the best of both worlds with zero effort: have you aim stable while shooting yet have nice flexibility when not. Now try keeping your face straight and tell me I'm wrong.

I can't be sarcastic enough when I have a straight face. If your argument is that "getting an advantage" over other players is wrong even though it is through the use of a feature built into the game, then should we all be running unmodified settings? I don't like playing ET at 800x600.

I finally got a piece of bristol board to replace my tiny mouse pad - is that too much of an advantage, too?

Maybe this stuff would matter if I was good at ET, but I'm not. I'm comfortable taking the steps explicitly allowed by the game and server I'm playing on, and that doesn't put me at an advantage. If you believe it does, then you should modify your settings to make it "even".

mayol
IoW Regular
6971 Points

Ukraine
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:02 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

miller wrote (View Post): ›
I can't be sarcastic enough when I have a straight face. If your argument is that "getting an advantage" over other players is wrong even though it is through the use of a feature built into the game, then should we all be running unmodified settings? I don't like playing ET at 800x600.

I finally got a piece of bristol board to replace my tiny mouse pad - is that too much of an advantage, too?

Maybe this stuff would matter if I was good at ET, but I'm not. I'm comfortable taking the steps explicitly allowed by the game and server I'm playing on, and that doesn't put me at an advantage. If you believe it does, then you should modify your settings to make it "even".

Resolution you use, conditions in the room you play, the way your parrot motivates your game, or whether you are good or not.. all that has nothing to do with an AUTOMATED mechanism that helps your aim while keeping you mobile at the same time. Explicitly allowed by the game? How convenient. Lots of other things are explicitly allowed by the game as well but are not welcome even on this server.

Download Post  No rating  
miller
Retired
Retired
40315 Points

USA US Massachusetts
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:16 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

mayol wrote: ›
miller wrote (View Post): ›

Resolution you use, conditions in the room you play, the way your parrot motivates your game, or whether you are good or not.. all that has nothing to do with an AUTOMATED mechanism that helps your aim while keeping you mobile at the same time. Explicitly allowed by the game? How convenient. Lots of other things are explicitly allowed by the game as well but are not welcome even on this server.
That's great, but I certainly haven't heard anyone say IoW does't allow binds of this nature. Also, a bind is not an automation tool, it's something the game already requires in order to play. I have +crouch bound to MOUSE2, and I'm rather fond of that configuration. Nobody can tell me that gives me an advantage, because I did it through the game's settings GUI. So if things explicitly allowed by the game but not configurable in the options interface are "not welcome", can I still connect to servers through Xfire? What about setting my sensitivity lower than 1.0? Binding /kill to a key?

So, your reasoning is flawed unless you can show me a definitive set of universally accepted rules that ET players are supposed to adhere to in order to give substance to your claims.

All of this is irrelevant anyway because, having read my original post, you are already aware that I was talking about things done when I played ET approximately 2 years ago. I can't remember any of that stuff now, and I don't care enough to bother looking it up.

StEVoNuB420
Retired
Retired
52130 Points

USA US Illinois
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:41 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Ex is a purist(Like myself) of ET. Other than a few binds like /kill and /playdead. Everything else is default. Therefore, no scripts and no changes were doneto my config. It is just his opinion how he feels to people that do change the script to "help" them out. I think we can just agree to disagree here.

Retired
952 Points

USA US California
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:39 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I THINK IT ALL GOT TO DO WITH LUCK:p

Download Post  No rating  
PistolPete
Retired
Retired
62486 Points

Poland US Illinois
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:18 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

StEVoNuB420 wrote (View Post): › Ex is a purist(Like myself) of ET. Other than a few binds like /kill and /playdead. Everything else is default. Therefore, no scripts and no changes were doneto my config. It is just his opinion how he feels to people that do change the script to "help" them out. I think we can just agree to disagree here.

i'm with u on this one stevo, i got no changes in my config either, never bothered to learn to do scripts and edit configs and stuff, i dont even have a 'config' i just make changes via the gui menu, and stuff like maxfps or w/e and thats about it

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic