Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,348 Exploit Attempts.

Factorio

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:38 pm   Post subject:  Factorio Back to top 

So you've all seen Sin and I discussing this in the Shout Box. I think its time for a thread instead Smile

My Vids (basic resources)

Part 2 (oil tech)

Part 3 (the train)

Now to answer some questions:

Sin wrote: › the scope of that game just seems amazing.

Yes it is. You start out with nothing. There is usually coal, ore, water and copper resources close to where you start. You craft a pickax and start manually mining materials that you use to build more (ala Minecraft, I guess). But what makes it great is the whole point is to automate as much of this as you can. If you are manually doing things, you're not doing it right. The more techs you unlock, the better your equipment gets and you can build assembers that take raw materials (or sometimes refined materials) in and produce something new that you can then use elsewhere. It is the ultimate production-chaining game, I love those kind of games and this really just has me hooked.

As you expand out, you notice the aliens. They usually ignore you until you start building a lot of pollution. Pollution makes them aggressive and causes them to spawn and attack in waves. So you can build turrets and early on, regular bullets. Eventually you get piercing ammo that does more, and at this point I now have lasers defending my bases. But the aliens evolve and get harder and at this point it is a struggle to say ahead of them. You can go on missions and try and wipe out their hives which provides a bit or relief for a while, until they come back or you expand further. At this point, my map shows me red "blotches" on all sides of my base, representing the enemy. They grow, they attack and they destroy. It gets kind of annoying, actually. So you have to stay ahead of them if you can.

As to scale - yes, I have yet to find any end to this map. It just keeps growing. You can put down radars that scan the area and expose more areas, but a lot of it is in the fog of war.

So you start with nothing, progress to basic resource harvesting (ore, copper, coal) and then move on to more advanced things (oil, plastics, steel) and then high tech stuff (circuit boards, engines)....and God knows what else because I'm only probably 2/3 through the game Smile So there is a lot of advanced tech I haven't got to yet.

Sin wrote: › Is it a linear tech tree? or can you really specialize into certain industries? Im wondering because I know the whole point of the game is to make stuff, but is their an "end game" part of the tech tree or is it really just go what whatever path you want to?

Sort of - the tech isn't really a tree, but there are prerequisites. You could conceivably play the whole game and just focus on the required stuff to achieve the "end game". The end game, by the way is to build a rocket to get the hell outta here. I guess not too different than The Martian.

Tech is done by manufacturing 4 different beakers - red, then green, then blue then purple. I have just finished establishing blue science. You would be amazed how much production it takes to build a sustainable blue science system! It is shocking. In fact, I'll make another video just for that.

So you could just build and not worry about "winning" the game. But you have to do the tech if you want more stuff, but you can totally choose what and when you research.

Sin wrote: › Like you said you had to fight the alien race for a particular part of the map that was rich in resources, is that a whole separate part of the game?

Not really. Your player carries weapons - machine guns, pistol, flame thrower, shotguns - there is a bunch of stuff you can have. You have armor, you can build tanks (I haven't researched them yet) and also have bots that help protect you. You just walk up and they start swarming you and you try and kill them off, then blow up their hives so they won't respawn. I've learned that you can plop down gun turrets to help give you a bit of tactical advantage, but it can get hard to do quickly. You can also configure the game to make the aliens peaceful, if you want.

They also leave behind artifacts that you can collect and are required to build purple science, the last bit of the tech.

Admin
Admin
87019 Points

USA US Michigan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:04 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Beck, there is multiplayer to it. I could join and help you fight aliens

General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:21 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Indeed

Admin
Admin
87019 Points

USA US Michigan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:25 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Id probably just end up fucking up your factory

General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:08 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

And.....it's done.

Only took me 57 hours and just a few alien kills!

Retired
Retired
36465 Points

Puertorico US Florida
Yellow Cards: 1
Yellow Cards: 1
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:59 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

:-O!

6007 Points

Brazil
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:20 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

57 hours? Wow.

This production chain thing reminds me of The Settlers.

Download Post  No rating  
Sin
Admin
Admin
87019 Points

USA US Michigan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:56 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Nice job Beck. Can't say im not a little disappointed that there wasnt a follow up on your oil shortage and how you overcame it. And you said the aliens were becoming more aggressive so i was curious how you would of progressed from there. At least you made it off the planet though. Sounds and looks like a fun game.

General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:16 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I'll make another video to show how things progressed. Still a lot of aliens to kill though too.

@vitor that time is bad for real experts. There are speed videos where people do it in like three hours. But I'm a noob. I'm starting again though, I've learned a lot from the first time, so hopefully things won't be so sloppy next time.

IoW Supporter
6007 Points

Brazil
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:15 am   Post subject:  Re: Factorio Back to top 

hahaha, no worries. I'm a noob in all games I play, including ET. I was just surprised by your effort and patience on that.

Download Post  No rating  
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:46 pm   Post subject:  Re: Factorio Back to top 

I put together a few more vids Wink Enjoy.

Part 4 - Oil Shortage

Part 5 - Blue Science

Part 6 - Combat Overview

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic