Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,349 Exploit Attempts.

Testing this week -- Metered Spawn Times

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
ex6tence
IoW Supporter
1877 Points

Canada
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:15 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

BECK wrote (View Post): › I'm a bit hesitant to put a banner message about defending team getting the extra, because there are circumstances where it doesn't always make sense.

Maps like Goldrush, Special delivery, Beerun for example. But whatever, most people are pretty good about this and usually ask which team they should join. If people are upset enough they can always ask the person to switch and pretty much everyone here is respectful enough that they would.

Download Post  No rating  
trix12
Noob
441 Points

Bahrain AU Tasmania2
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:07 pm   Post subject:  Re: Testing this week -- Metered Spawn Times Back to top 

This is a very interesting idea.

As you guys earlier this week implemented the new 'Metered Spawn Times,' it is honestly a good idea in keeping the games fair. In reference to Beck's data table, Allies drastically have a large advantage in winning all the time. With the new Meter Spawn Timers, I think this would reduce (not vastly) the frequency of Allies rushing a map.

Certainly, there are quite a few downsides to this new implementation. When the server is full, maxing out at the new 40sec spawn times is quite ludicrous. In my opinion, this would slowly kill off the server for having to wait so long during various times.

However, I would encourage the new 'Metered Spawn Times' to remain in effect. Despite being quite annoying waiting to respawn for others, it is only meant to enforce fair gameplay.

If I may also add, I highly suggest that you provide the !howfair command to lvl 1 players (server regulars). The server admins do not usually (at least frequently) check how fair the games are; instead, they only use the !shuffle command. Teams would be less stack if the specs that want to join would simply use the !howfair command, followed up by joining the respective team. This would certainly help out players balance teams.

These are merely only my opinions/suggestions and can be taken into account or neglected. Wish you guys the best,

Trix

Download Post  No rating  
Jayd
Retired
Retired
36465 Points

Puertorico US Florida
Yellow Cards: 1
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:32 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Thank you for your feedback Tr!x, it's much appreciated.

It's my understanding that !howfair is not exactly the most accurate way to see if a team is stacked or not so I don't know how much help it'll be giving lv1 players access to that command. I guess I'll let BECK get back to you on that one.

General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:09 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I don't see why not.

I think this timer script worked well on Friday. People on ts that night seemed to agree.

Admin
Admin
38083 Points

France US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:45 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Axis won Bremen

General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:53 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

YAY! Then it's a stunning success!

General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:09 am   Post subject:  Re: Testing this week -- Metered Spawn Times Back to top 

Here is some new data factoring in this week's maps. I'm not a statistician, so don't flame me on my math or analysis here. It's really too early to tell, there are a few changes in overall win percentage, but this data is not a consistent data set (e.g. same players playing on every map and on the same team everytime would give more accurate data). I suppose what I'm looking for is week-to-week swings, but it is somewhat encouraging to see axis with more wins this week. Not sure if this is related to spawn times or just the players that were on at the time. Do with this what you will Smile

NOTE: Only maps with more than 4 different players are ever tracked in stats - so 1v1s, 2v1s on maps will be ignored.

Week:

MapAllied WinsAxis WinsWin PercentageWinning Team
Adlernest:
90%
Allies

Braundorf:
88%
Allies

Gold Rush:
85%
Axis

Special Delivery:
83%
Allies

Beerrun:
80%
Axis

Bremen:
75%
Allies

Oasis:
75%
Allies

Radar:
75%
Axis

Frostbite:
66%
Allies

Supply Night:
54%
Axis

Overall:

MapAllied WinsAxis WinsWin PercentageWinning TeamChange
Braundorf:
85%
Allies
NO CHANGE

Adlernest:
80%
Allies
- 1%

Frostbite:
79%
Allies
NO CHANGE

Special Delivery:
74%
Allies
NO CHANGE

Oasis:
69%
Allies
+ 2%

Radar:
67%
Allies
NO CHANGE

Fuel Dump:
60%
Allies
NO CHANGE

Supply Night:
56%
Allies
NO CHANGE

Goldrush:
57%
Axis
+ 1%

Beerrun:
54%
Allies
NO CHANGE

Seems like this week, axis got slightly better (with all the stats limits and inconsistent data sets as I stated above). Again, do with this what you will.

Admin
Admin
38083 Points

France US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:15 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I think this is positive in regards to the goal so this was a great idea to implement to see how it affects the results.

A quick question...

Shouldn't 20/30 (or default map ST if it's different) be the max ST in any case? I'm not sure but I think I saw 30/30 in some cases (I only played a few maps so maybe I'm wrong)

General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:23 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

The LUA script doesn't have any limits or map specific stuff in it. It simply takes the number of players on teams (specs don't count) and has two set thresholds for numbers (11 & 16) and then factors to apply to the default map spawn times.

60%, 80%, 100%

Those are all easily changed if need be, but there isn't a concept of a "cap" in there, although that is an interesting idea.

The factors themselves are also individually configurable by team, so if need be, we could do something like:

Allies: 60, 80, 100
Axis: 50, 70, 90

If we determine that allies are still winning too often, this could make it easier for axis to win. But I'm a bit hesitant to do this at this point.

Another idea is to allow admins to run a command that will set those factors to any number we want - say allies cap the flag in the first minute, so we could slow down allies for the rest of the map. I don't like this idea necessarily because it could certainly be abused (although we're not going to abuse ourselves) and could be a very powerful command to dictate the flow of a given map. Most likely, this won't be implemented, but it wouldn't be hard to do if we wanted to Smile

General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:57 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

One last posting of data. There are slight improvements, but to see real change I think we almost have to handicap Axis a bit. I don't think I want to do that.

Week:

MapAllied WinsAxis WinsWin PercentageWinning Team
Special Delivery:
82%
Allies

Adlernest:
70%
Allies

Supply Night:
50%
-

Frostbite:
64%
Allies

Braundorf:
92%
Allies

Oasis:
86%
Allies

Gold Rush:
80%
Axis

Beerrun:
75%
Axis

Radar:
83%
Axis

Fuel Dump:
100%
Axis

Overall:

MapAllied WinsAxis WinsWin PercentageWinning TeamChangeOverall Change
Braundorf:
86%
Allies
+ 1%
+ 1%

Adlernest:
79%
Allies
- 1%
- 2%

Supply Night:
56%
Allies
NO CHANGE
NO CHANGE

Frostbite:
79%
Allies
NO CHANGE
NO CHANGE

Special Delivery:
74%
Allies
NO CHANGE
NO CHANGE

Oasis:
69%
Allies
NO CHANGE
+ 2%

Goldrush:
57%
Axis
NO CHANGE
+ 1%

Beerrun:
54%
Allies
NO CHANGE
NO CHANGE

Radar:
67%
Allies
NO CHANGE
NO CHANGE

Fuel Dump:
60%
Allies
NO CHANGE
NO CHANGE

I feel this has made things a bit more balanced. Does anyone else have anything to say about this, negative or positive?

EDIT:
Actually, if you take our absolutely questionable and unbalanced sample data here (I admit this isn't college statistics Razz), it would appear that this spawntimer has actually made things worse over the past few weeks. An increase in win percentage shows that the team that was winning a lot before is winning more now. The only map that has made a difference is Adlernest.

I think to actually see if spawn times are a factor, we'd need to have them set to defaults for two weeks for all maps and all player numbers, but I think at this point we (I'm) thinking way too much about this :/

Noob
441 Points

Bahrain AU Tasmania2
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:09 pm   Post subject:  Re: Testing this week -- Metered Spawn Times Back to top 

The Metered Spawntimers are only bad when maps such as Special Delivery, Braundorf, and Frostbite are in effect. If the Axis team is spawning every 20-25+ seconds, this is way to long for the team to actually do any defending. Objective rushers have plenty of time to rush a map (specially in Frostbite/Braundorf) if axis has yet to spawn

My suggestion would be to simply decrease the percentage difference for the axis spawn times in comparison to the allies when maps like Sp delivery, Frost, etc.. are playing. This way, skilled objective players like 'Winnie', 'Who' and 'Banana' will not make it as easy for the allied team to win.

Nonetheless, the 'Metered Spawntimes' is still creating a slight improvement over the weeks for other maps such as Bremen, Beerrun, etc... To have a more balanced server, just simply manipulate some of the percentage differences in some of the maps, but not all.

Off topic, but a quick request. Can you integrate a slight change to the field ops recharge time? It is quite annoying when arty is spammed back to back, specially when a 4-Star field ops can call arty twice from a 10-15 second interval. If a majority of the people do not want to make this change, that's fine by me.

Once again, these are only my suggestions and opinions. I'm just simply trying to help out.

Cheers!
Trix

Download Post  No rating  
Jayd
Retired
Retired
36465 Points

Puertorico US Florida
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:35 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I second the arty recharge time, but I feel like this should be split into it's own topic.

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic