Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,349 Exploit Attempts.

custom command window

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
Sir Sux-A-Lot
Admin
Admin
38083 Points

France US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:06 am   Post subject:  custom command window Back to top 

So I was wondering if it would be possible to have an input window in order to type the IOW !play command parameter

so that instead of typing "!play yeahbaby" in the console or via the public chat you would press X (bound key) to open a window (like the chat pop up window) and type "yeahbaby" and it plays the sound?

It would be like public chat, team chat, fireteam chat or even private chat except that the command is !play instead of vsay

Thoughts?

General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:40 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I think something like this would require an enhancement in the mod. It would basically take whatever you type and pass it as a parameter to a LUA script (which is what we do now anyway) but would require some hooks and binding to connect the keyboard command with a new type of chat window.

There are ways of creating custom menus and then you can simply use a few keyboard commands to play the sounds. Just like you do now with the standard game voices. One issue with that is, you cannot control who can play what. Everyone can play anything. Not really a problem, we just organize things by rank to have some incentive (how ever small) to gain promotion. Also, do we want every 0 level pubber to be able to come on and spam RAGE over and over? I don't. Smile The other problem, there would obviously be limits on the number of sounds we could have. Again, not a problem per-say and some would argue we have way too many to begin with.

So - for these reasons I've never seriously considered using the custom menu system.

I'm not sure of a way to create a custom prompt. There are also limits to the number of custom commands available (remember we used to be able to type !hax and it would play the sound?).

But........what seems like it could be a compromise -- given the limit of 63 custom commands (we're using maybe 10 of them at the moment), we could create other custom commands for the more frequently used sounds, !howyadoin, !bullshit, !hacker, !rage or whatever. That might make it a bit easier to execute the command without the overhead of typing "!play xxx". But this gives us the flexibility of being able to run all the commands using !play if we choose.

General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:44 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

...on a side note, I'm preparing a new sound pak soon, so there will be more sounds....yes, more....I might get rid of a few that don't see much use, but I've got some hilarious ones and some other people sent me (sin) a few months ago lined up.

I'm also working on creating a way to page through the list of sounds, and also even a way to view them by category - so like "!listsounds rage" or something just shows you all the sounds tagged for rage. But my LUA scripting needs some work and I've got a billion other things going on, but I want to get this done before I add more sounds.

Admin
Admin
38083 Points

France US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:10 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Beck,

I had in mind that we are limited in custom commands so that's why this idea requires a bit flexibility that is probably not built-in (yet)

But in the end it's just an interface that use a constant (!play) and a parameter from user input and type them in the console. If the current user has sufficient permission and then type a valid sound keyword, then cool, otherwise nothing happens like if I type "!play dafuq"

Does LUA have something for I/O? I looked at some tuts but found nothing related and I'm still confused if it's server only or we can do stuff client side with that.

edit: probably this would have to be baked into Silent but is Silent open source? doesn't look like it...

General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:48 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

silent is not open source, if I'm thinking correctly something like this would definitely require a change to the mod. I suppose I could post and see if anyone has any ideas how it could be done or if it would require a fix.

General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:53 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

heh - neks beat me to it Wink

Admin
Admin
38083 Points

France US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:58 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I wonder who that is Wink

srsly though, I think the messagemode approach, which occured to me after posting here will make the request a little more relevant to their goal (sort of). We'll see...

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic