Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,348 Exploit Attempts.

For the Networking Geniuses

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
Sgt. Hobbs
Retired
Retired
32504 Points

USA US New Hampshire
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:46 pm   Post subject:  For the Networking Geniuses Back to top 

Alright so here's my conundrum. I have Metrocast cable on a spur line for my ISP. Service is sketchy and there is no alternative options (not even dial-up any more). I am no networking guru so speak as much English as possible.
this is what I get from magical speedtest.net

we run 2-3 computers playing ET/World of tanks/World of warcraft generally simultaneously. generally not problematic. however whenever I run Bittorrent every computer on the network will be max ping 999 death. not just the machine with Bittorrent on it. now I hear the port forwarding, I hear the cap the upload rate what I don't know is how to go about doing that.

we are currently running a Dlink (I believe DIR-825 by what I find on the router setup page) and the Modem supplied by Metrocast. (where I have no info.) I wish to avoid getting new hardware as I currently am broke, but suggestions for upgrades will be appreciated for future reference.

El Presidente
El Presidente
102912 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:56 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

What bit torrent software do you use. You can set the download/upload limits within the properties (options) of the software. Example: Myself i use uTorrent. I launch the software goto options - Preferences - Bandwith and can set my limits there.

Download Post  No rating  
PumpkiN
Retired
Retired
102492 Points

Estonia
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:39 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

generally speaking, if you are on a network with that little bandwidth, if you are downloading anything and playing et at the same time, you are doing the internet wrong.

the rates you get from speedtest are what your isp allows to go through the wall, meaning that it does not matter, if all that bandwidth is used up by one computer, the other computers on the network have to deal with what-ever little bandwidth is left (hence huge ping values)

as nort, the easiest way to actually game and torrent at the same time, is to limit the download and upload rates. Once you start tweaking these and testing in game, i will venture to guess that the values that you will stop on will be very slow indeed and might not be worth the extra lag.

i for one could not even think about torrenting and playing et at the same time since im on a dsl line and well my speeds are even worse than yours. (mine are around 8 megaBITS per second -- this is about 1000 kiloBYTES or 1 megaBYTE per second. )

Download Post  No rating  
Sir Sux-A-Lot
Admin
Admin
38083 Points

France US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:35 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Or you can check if your router has QoS.

If it does, set it properly and you should be good to go.

How-to's are available on Google

Admin
Admin
87019 Points

USA US Michigan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:05 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

What pumpkin said. Dont be the guy that downloads a bunch of shit when everyone is trying to play games. I believe you get your ass kicked for doing something like that.

General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:08 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

lol nice Office Space reference there Wink intentionally or not, made me lol.

Retired
Retired
32504 Points

USA US New Hampshire
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:11 pm   Post subject:  Re: For the Networking Geniuses Back to top 

I mentioned earlier that I would appreciate Networking equipment guidance for future reference. now I'm asking what would be good since I am clueless to networking stuff. (I also want to be sold on it so tell me the pros, cons, what I'm working with, etc.

Senior Admin
Senior Admin
104308 Points

USA US California
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:57 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

BECK wrote (View Post): › lol nice Office Space reference there Wink intentionally or not, made me lol.

Retired
102492 Points

Estonia
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:21 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

im really confused as to what you are trying to do Sad

Download Post  No rating  
Sgt. Hobbs
Retired
Retired
32504 Points

USA US New Hampshire
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:22 am   Post subject:  Re: For the Networking Geniuses Back to top 

I am trying to improve my quality of network and internet.

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic