Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,348 Exploit Attempts.

REVIEW: Man of Steel

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:45 pm   Post subject:  REVIEW: Man of Steel Back to top 

I don't get to movies very often. Having kids and no 'free' babysitters (e.g. grandparents) around makes it hard for me and the wife to get out very often.

That being said, was able to see Man of Steel this weekend. If you haven't seen it, or otherwise were skeptical about this new take on the Superman story, I highly encourage you to get out and see it. It is probably the best movie I've seen in quite a while. I grew up on the Christopher Reeve series, so that was "Superman" for me. Now, those movies are classics to me, but laughable a bit and extremely dated. It is certainly time for a new Superman. I think special effects have finally got to the point where the stuff actually looks realistic and believable.

Along with the darker direction that the newer Batman franchise had adopted for the latest trilogy, that same spirit I think has now influenced the style of this movie. There are several things that really stood out for me in this movie. Also - I don't read comics, never read comics and never will. So anything from Superman comics or whatever pisses off the fanboys was not seen by me. This is purely the opinion of a casual Superman fan.

Spoilers: 

- I love the fact that Lois Lane doesn't appear to be a total dip-shit. She already knows who Clark Kent is and there will be none of this 'goofy guy with the glasses and hair parted to the right' clearly is not 'Superman'. That always bothered me about the Superman story, Lois Lane is always a retard. Not anymore. That remains to be seen with the rest of the Daily Planet folks, but at least we can be spared the ruse that is always played on Lois.

- Plus, I luvz me some Amy Adams, but I'm a sucker for redheads Wink

- The way that Superman becomes discovered is brilliant IMO. Clark goes out into the world and tries his hand at various jobs and just a drifter and loner. Inevitably, his super powers are needed to save someone along the lines, and he always ends up disappearing and starting over again somewhere else. Lois tracks him down by doing real journalism and tracing the stories and legends from town to town, person to person until she finally finds the Kent farm in Kansas. At this point, Clark shows up and asks her to not reveal her story because the world isn't ready for him. She complies, which was very surprising.

- The entire Krypton sequence with Jor-El and Zod is great. I love the tech that the Kryptonians have - the weapons, the ships, the armor, everything was great. Again, re-imagined with 21st century concepts in mind by the movie designers and artists.

- When Zod's army first arrives on earth and emerges from the ship, they looked so fuckin badass, it gave me goosebumps.

- The battle scenes were amazing. The effects are great, the fights were thrilling and satisfying.

- Loved the fact that it took Kal as an infant considerable time to acclimate to Earth. Even as a kid, when his powers are starting to emerge, he struggles to control them but learns how to live with them. Brilliant that when the other Kryptonians are exposed to Earth, they too struggle to acclimate to Earth. Very, very cool.

- In every movie like this, why do stupid people stand around and watch the destruction that is on-going just a few blocks away. LOL.

Admin
Admin
87019 Points

USA US Michigan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:34 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

I really like superman and everything, but superman movies will never be as successful as batman or marvel movies nowadays I don't think. Its flawed before it even starts because every movie will always end up the same for superman since he is literally invincible...unless there is kryptonite involved, and usually even if there is kryptonite, he still usually uses his super strength (which is stronger than everybody in DC except doomsday) eventually anyways. There needs to be something else to overcome.
But anyways, that's my problem with superman. I like superman don't get me wrong. But I just think he translates better in the comics. A movie needs more of a villain than a rock.

I heard the fight scenes in Man of Steel were revolutionary though, so I'll probably see it regardless, I trust Nolan, all of his movies he is associated in any way usually end up pretty awesome. I have almost every Superman comic.

I hope DC starts introducing some of the other cool heroes and villains that they have. Marvel has done a good job with that. Most people don't know what else DC has to offer besides Superman,Batman, Joker and Zod. They should start with some good villains like Solomon Grundy and Brainiac. Green Lantern kind of sucked, they ruined a really good chance on having another good super-villain in Sinestro. I always thought DC had the better lineup. Guys like Nightwing, Booster Gold and Green Arrow are really good heroes, can really make some epic movies if they get Marvel like funding, but sadly, I dont think it'll happen unless its Superman or Batman. Maybe a Justice League movie would get it. But it would have to be directed by Nolan to get it. And they would probably have to poop out some of the hero movies first. Guys like Hawk man and Hawk girl would need a movie, The flash, Green Arrow, Cyborg and Wonder Woman all need one still.

Retired
31257 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:42 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

They already are planning The Flash and Wonder Women and Justice League movies.

Man of Steel was great.

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic