Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,349 Exploit Attempts.

Stupid Lawsuits

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
Quizzle
Retired
Retired
20692 Points

Canada CA Alberta
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue May 01, 2007 3:28 am   Post subject:  Stupid Lawsuits Back to top 

I got bored, found some funny dumb lawsuits, decided to share.

-A woman is suing Sony Online Entertainment for the death of her son after playing the popular game "EverQuest". Her son shot himself to death after he discovered a long-time online friend depleted his account of all his possessions in the online fictional game. She blames the company who created the game, claiming it is more addictive and deadly than the most potent drugs in America

-Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas, was awarded $780,000 by a jury of
her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The owners of the store were understandably surprised at the verdict, considering the misbehaving little toddler was Ms. Robertson's son.

-A 19-year-old Carl Truman of Los Angeles won $74,000 and medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Mr. Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal his neighbor's hubcaps.

-Terrence Dickson of Bristol, Pennsylvania, was leaving a house he had just finished robbing by way of the garage. He was not able to get the garage door to go up since the automatic door opener was malfunctioning. He couldn't re-enter the house because the door connecting the house and garage locked when he pulled it shut. The family was on vacation, and Mr. Dickson found himself locked in the garage for eight days. He subsisted on a case of Pepsi he found, and a large bag of dry dog food. He sued the homeowner's insurance claiming the situation had caused him undue mental anguish. The jury agreed to the tune of $500,000.

-Jerry Williams of Little Rock, Arkansas, was awarded $14,500 and medical expenses after being bitten on the buttocks by his next door neighbor's beagle.
The beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. The award was less than sought because the jury felt the dog might have been just a little provoked at the time by Mr. Williams who was shooting it repeatedly with a pellet gun.

-A Philadelphia restaurant was ordered to pay Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, $113,500 after she slipped on a soft drink and broke her coccyx (tailbone). The beverage was on the floor because Ms. Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument.

-Kara Walton of Claymont, Delaware, successfully sued the owner of a night club in a neighboring city when she fell from the bathroom window to the floor and knocked out her two front teeth. This occurred while Ms. Walton was trying to sneak through the window in the ladies room to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge. She was awarded $12,000 and dental expenses.

-Mr. Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Mr. Grazinski purchased a brand new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On his first trip home (from an OU football game), having driven onto the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the drivers seat to go into the back and make himself a cup of coffee. Not surprisingly, the R.V. left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising him in the owner's manual that he couldn't actually do this. The jury awarded him $1,750,000 plus a new motor home.
The company actually changed their manuals on the basis of this suit, just in case there were any other complete morons buying their recreation vehicles.

-A man sues a New York coffee shop after suffering what he calls “damage to his manhood”. His penis somehow got pinched between the toilet seat and bowl while he was reaching forward for toilet paper. He is asking for $1 million to compensate for his "dire and permanent" injuries. His wife is also suing for $500,000, claiming her husband cannot perform his marital duties.

-A man riding his bike home from work at night with no lights, only reflectors, was hit by a Jeep after the driver ran a stop sign. The bicyclist sued the bike manufacturer because he was not warned that reflectors might not be enough to prevent an accident. The man was awarded $6 million.

-An inmate in a Virginia penitentiary has filed a lawsuit against himself, claiming that he violated his own civil rights by getting arrested. He is suing for $5 million and is asking the state to pay, since he can't
have an income in prison.

-A man is suing a strip club for $200,000. He claims that one of the strippers caused him "emotional distress, mental anguish, and indignity" when she bashed her breasts against his head. Carson also claimed to have been "bruised, confused, lacerated and made sore." The stripper's breasts are rumored to weigh up to 40 pounds each.

-A 27-year-old man was killed while rocking a vending machine that tipped over on him. The man was attempting to steal a drink out of the machine. Relatives in New York are suing for $400,000 in damages.

-A woman is suing a guide-dog school for $150,000 after a blind man allegedly stepped on her foot. A dog trained at the school was leading the man at the time.

-A Northeast Portland man is suing basketball superstar Michael Jordan and Nike founder Phil Knight for a combined $832 million. Allen Heckard filed the suit himself, June 29th in Washington County Court. Heckard says he’s been mistaken as Michael Jordan nearly every day over the past 15 years and he’s tired of it. Heckard is suing Jordan for defamation and permanent injury and emotional pain and suffering. He’s suing Knight for defamation and permanent injury for promoting Jordan and making him one of the most recognized men in the world.

-An old lady from Massachusets was riding in a car with her family when they crashed into a river. The rescue team got their in a matter of minutes and saved her out. She did though suffer some brain damage, which may explain why she sued both the driver and the rescue divers that saved her life.

-A guy from Florida overdraw his bank account and thus got a (ordinary) service fee from the bank. He got so upset over this small fee that he couldn't sleep at night, so he sued the bank for 2 million dollars.

-A lady from Madison County sued Mazda for 150k for not providing instructions on the use of seatbelts. She had been passanger in a Mazda and suffered severe damages when the Mazda got wrecked. She didn't use seatbelts.

-A guy from Indiana got hit by lightning at Paramount's Kings Island amusement park, He sued the amusemant park for not warning the visitors not to be outisde during a thunderstorm.

Guess that's it for now.

Last edited by Quizzle on Tue May 01, 2007 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

I´m so.... Quizzled.
Download Post  No rating  
Fuzzy Burrito
IoW Fanboy
9964 Points

Canada CA Ontario
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue May 01, 2007 5:51 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Quizzly Bear wrote: › subsisted on a case of Pepsi...caused him undue mental anguish.

^^No shit, I'd be distressed too if I were forced to consume that CRAP.
EDIT: Note my userbar below.

IoW Regular
4692 Points

Finland
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue May 01, 2007 7:11 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

HAHA, funny shit Razz

General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue May 01, 2007 7:40 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

OMG, I had to stop reading those. They were funny for a bit, but then I started to just get mad that people could be so FUCKING stupid. Especially the jurys that give them those judgements. They must've had some damned good lawyers.

IoW Supporter
1696 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue May 01, 2007 10:53 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

wtf, how the hell can the jury be awarding money like that???? this is one of those things only seen in america...

Download Post  No rating  
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue May 01, 2007 11:00 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

razi wrote: › only seen in america...

No lie man. It's fricken ridiculous around here. It's the victim mentality around here, it's pathetic that no one can take personal responsibility for anything anymore. It's always some one else's fault (even if you're committing a crime at the time - the one about Pepsi almost made me blow my lid). You were always 'abused as a child' or whatever it was that made you do the things you did. Bullshit - personal responsibilty!

[/rant]

OMFG wrote: ›
-Mr. Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Mr. Grazinski purchased a brand new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On his first trip home (from an OU football game), having driven onto the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the drivers seat to go into the back and make himself a cup of coffee. Not surprisingly, the R.V. left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising him in the owner's manual that he couldn't actually do this. The jury awarded him $1,750,000 plus a new motor home.
The company actually changed their manuals on the basis of this suit, just in case there were any other complete morons buying their recreation vehicles.

OMFG PEOPLE ARE SO STUPID!!!!

IoW Regular
12129 Points

USSR
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue May 01, 2007 11:52 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Trust me it's not only in the States.

Summer of 2002. I'm in Greece. Saturday night 5am. I've just finished work & spent an hour or so with my then girlfriend at a bar nearby. We decide to go to her place. I have to stop by my place (which was in the opposite direction) to pick up a soundcard I had fixed for a barowner in her village a couple of days before as to not do the trip twice....

So I take my scooter and tell her to wait for me with the car in town since it will only take 10 minutes to go & come back & I'm not in the mood to drive a scooter for 30 minutes to get to her place.

I go, pick up the soundcard and I'm on my way back to town... Just before you get to the centre of town there is a left turn into a one-way street. Since there is noone coming in the opposite direction and the one-way street has 2 lanes, I dont really slow down to take the turn, I just cut it.

Just as I'm rounding the corner I see a single headlight right in front of me... Next thing I remember I'm in a hospitalbed in Crete with every bone in my left hand crushed, a 'broken' (lovely story for another time) leg and I forget what the english word for a specific kind of headtrauma is... Confused ... Apparently the guy on the motorcycle I crashed with, the american girl sitting on the back of his bike & myself had been flown in by rescue-helicopter since the medical facilities on the island we crashed on were not able to cope with our damages.

So ... we all recover and I never spoke to the guy on the other bike... 2 years later I get a summation for a criminal court over this.. He & the girl had found out there were no witnesses to the accident and they both pressed charges stating to the poilce that I was the one coming from the 1-way street.

2 weeks later, I get another summation for a civil case where they want € 106.758,42 (I can never forget that number) for damages...

Some other facts that were presented in the court: Bloodtests for alcohol... I was measured at 0,23 (Limit is 0,25) immediately after they got us to the medical center. The other guy: 0,56 (0,60 will land you in jail for 2 months), and that was measured 2 hours after because of the severity of his injuries... And the both of them were not wearing helmets, I was....

Anyway... I lost the 1st criminal case and appealed.. Just barely got out of spending a year in a greek prison (Midnight Express anyone? It's only the neighboring country). Same thing happened in the civil suit... Since the criminal court had placed guilt the verdict was based on that... Fortunately the red tape in Greece is so long it will take at least another 10 years before this is over Rolling Eyes

-P9 (Fugitive)

General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue May 01, 2007 12:14 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Plan9 wrote: › Trust me it's not only in the States.

Summer of 2002. I'm in Greece. Saturday night 5am. I've just finished work & spent an hour or so with my then girlfriend at a bar nearby. We decide to go to her place. I have to stop by my place (which was in the opposite direction) to pick up a soundcard I had fixed for a barowner in her village a couple of days before as to not do the trip twice....

So I take my scooter and tell her to wait for me with the car in town since it will only take 10 minutes to go & come back & I'm not in the mood to drive a scooter for 30 minutes to get to her place.

I go, pick up the soundcard and I'm on my way back to town... Just before you get to the centre of town there is a left turn into a one-way street. Since there is noone coming in the opposite direction and the one-way street has 2 lanes, I dont really slow down to take the turn, I just cut it.

Just as I'm rounding the corner I see a single headlight right in front of me... Next thing I remember I'm in a hospitalbed in Crete with every bone in my left hand crushed, a 'broken' (lovely story for another time) leg and I forget what the english word for a specific kind of headtrauma is... Confused ... Apparently the guy on the motorcycle I crashed with, the american girl sitting on the back of his bike & myself had been flown in by rescue-helicopter since the medical facilities on the island we crashed on were not able to cope with our damages.

So ... we all recover and I never spoke to the guy on the other bike... 2 years later I get a summation for a criminal court over this.. He & the girl had found out there were no witnesses to the accident and they both pressed charges stating to the poilce that I was the one coming from the 1-way street.

2 weeks later, I get another summation for a civil case where they want € 106.758,42 (I can never forget that number) for damages...

Some other facts that were presented in the court: Bloodtests for alcohol... I was measured at 0,23 (Limit is 0,25) immediately after they got us to the medical center. The other guy: 0,56 (0,60 will land you in jail for 2 months), and that was measured 2 hours after because of the severity of his injuries... And the both of them were not wearing helmets, I was....

Anyway... I lost the 1st criminal case and appealed.. Just barely got out of spending a year in a greek prison (Midnight Express anyone? It's only the neighboring country). Same thing happened in the civil suit... Since the criminal court had placed guilt the verdict was based on that... Fortunately the red tape in Greece is so long it will take at least another 10 years before this is over Rolling Eyes

-P9 (Fugitive)

Holy shit man! Sorry to hear that. Best of luck with all these problems.

IoW Supporter
749 Points

India US Florida
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue May 01, 2007 3:08 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I hate dickfaces who sue for no reason. The judicial systems are pretty fucked up.

Download Post  No rating  
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed May 02, 2007 12:36 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic