Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,349 Exploit Attempts.

Joystick/Gamepad

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:24 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I talked to my friend, and here is his response. Basically, it's theoretically possible to do things with the glove and powerpad, but might be tougher with the gun:

Beck's Buddy wrote: ›
The pistol must work in sync with the game's graphics. I haven't take a look at the nintendo harware, but I'm almost sure it works like the ones in the game rooms at the mall.

Basically, the pistol has a lens that narrows the light coming in the front of it, (ie from the TV set) and send it to a built in optical sensor. Only light comming perfectly straight to the gun's shaft will make it in the built sensor.

The game graphics are made so that the possible tagets in the screen, in this case the fliying ducks, are constantly flickering between two contrasting colors. For example, the flying ducks can be changing from yellow to red and from red back to yellow every other frame, that is at a speed of 30Hz (30 frames per second) thus, it is so fast that to the human eye that what you see is amber color ducks, however, the sensor in the gun, can clearly see if the light coming in through the shaft is changing red, yellow, red, yellow.... So when this happens, the gun knows you are aming at something, if you happen to press the trigger at that time, the pistol sends to the console the "frequency of the flickering detected" through the cable.

Targets in the screen are flashing colors at different frequencies, (all some muiltiple of a frame), thus the console know, base on the readings of the pistol, which object you shot at. Since each object has diffent flashing frequencies, 30hz being the faster, then 28, 26,... etc... as it gets lower, the eye then start perceiving the flickering, so if the game has little targets visible at the time, you might not notice the flickering too much, but ten duck flying, you'll notice ones blinking more than others, so ther is a maximum of targets you can have at any given time which is the limit.

so, unless you write doom, with all enemies on the screen with a given flickering signature, there is nothing the pistol can read from the screen's incoming light.

For the other controllers, everything is happening though the cable. They are buttons (that you press or step over) to produce a signal to be sent to the console, and the game programming makes sense of it.

One thing you might consider is to build any control you like, then connect that to the PC serial port, and based on the input you receive from the external control you made, you push keys scancodes in the windows' messaging buffer, which are sent to the application in the foreground. Basically this is like building a driver (daemon) that press keys in the keyboard for you, but you are causing such events with some other input device.

For something like this, a place to start is the DirectX's Direct Input API.

: )

Quick answer: Yes, it is possible to do something like this....

El Presidente
El Presidente
102938 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:44 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

damn, yer friend sounds like a high end comp geek! my thoughts though, doesnt the glove itself detect movement? if so then you could use the glove to move the crosshair and just use the trigger on the gun to fire with, not actualy aim.

Download Post  No rating  
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:54 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Nort wrote: › damn, yer friend sounds like a high end comp geek! my thoughts though, doesnt the glove itself detect movement? if so then you could use the glove to move the crosshair and just use the trigger on the gun to fire with, not actualy aim.

LOL - now you know why I asked him -- he knows his shit. And I've never used the glove, maybe whoracle knows more about it. But it seems like it could be possible to use the glove for that, and just use the pressing of the gun as if you were left-clicking the mouse.

Retired
Retired
62486 Points

Poland US Illinois
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:08 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

nvm bout my post, guess im kinda slow

and whore, lemme jump that u slut, now after seein ur pic, u really are a slut, u whore

and damn, if u can do that, ill hit up craigslist and find me all those things, and ill be nading away shootin, virtual reality from 80s tech, gotta love it

Last edited by PistolPete on Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Download Post  No rating  
Fuzzy Burrito
IoW Fanboy
9964 Points

Canada CA Ontario
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:49 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

so it looks like you can get a powerpad for about 20+ Canuck dollars. Confused

IoW Regular
1908 Points

Srilanka
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:15 am   Post subject:  it sounds Back to top 

It all sounds cool but wat i am saying is just tell ur brother to play with the freaking mouse. Let him start with easier games. Like counter strike where there ar computer players and u can choose the level of the computer players. After he gets good with cs then let him come to et.

Download Post  No rating  
Quizzle
Retired
Retired
20692 Points

Canada CA Alberta
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:05 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

My brother is too stubborn to use the keyboard and mouse. He tried and gave up in 5 minutes.

@Whor I don't use S as back, thats my secondary fire, I use X as back. Is that wierd? :]

Anyways so is that a no? Can't use a controller for ET?

I´m so.... Quizzled.
Download Post  No rating  

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic