Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,348 Exploit Attempts.

Request: Increase the FOV limit on the server

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
Jayd
Retired
Retired
36440 Points

Puertorico US Florida
Yellow Cards: 1
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:54 pm   Post subject:  Request: Increase the FOV limit on the server Back to top 

I now have an ultrawide (21:9) monitor and would like to have the FOV limit increased from 140 to something higher...maybe 160, not sure of the number yet. The reason for this is that ET, in order to give you an ultrawide resolution without stretching the image, actually cuts the top and bottom of the image (a scaling method known as vert-) which is obviously undesirable. In order for me to achieve an FOV that allows me to see about the same amount of visual data in the vertical axis as everyone else, I will need a higher FOV. There's an impression out there that this higher FOV combined with my wider than normal resolution will provide me with an advantage over everyone else. This is incorrect. As you will see in the screenshots I will be providing below, at any given FOV, I will always have less visual data on the vertical axis (while seeing the same amount on the horizontal axis) than everyone else using that FOV.

Here's some screenshots to showcase what I mean (shout out to Taukima for "featuring" in all these screenshots lol):

105 FOV at 1920x1080: https://i.imgur.com/Har8iYt.png
105 FOV at 2560x1080: https://i.imgur.com/RgNnQqM.png

140 FOV at 1920x1080: https://i.imgur.com/TacJtrp.png
140 FOV at 2560x1080: https://i.imgur.com/IoD9bzT.png

Bonus picture of a rare Taukima not being a medic: https://i.imgur.com/m4RVrNA.png

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Jayd on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Admin
87019 Points

USA US Michigan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:53 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

We should also get rid of the gay 125 fps cap for those of using 144hz monitors.

Retired
36440 Points

Puertorico US Florida
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:37 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

I think that's an engine limitation actually. I might be wrong but I seem to remember looking it up once.

General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:42 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

This is what we can change:

Code: ›
forcecvar snaps 20
sv_cvar cg_fov IN 90 140
forcecvar r_ambientScale 0.5
forcecvar r_colorMipLevels 0
forcecvar r_lightmap 0
sv_cvar r_depthbits IN 24 32
forcecvar cl_freelook 1
forcecvar cl_pitchspeed 0
sv_cvar cl_yawspeed IN 0 140
forcecvar cl_timenudge 0
forcecvar r_zfar 0
sv_cvar cl_maxpackets IN 60 100
sv_cvar com_maxfps IN 43 125
sv_cvar rate IN 25000 45000
sv_cvar r_rmse EQ 0
forcecvar r_softwareGL 0
sv_cvar r_clamptoedge EQ 1
sv_cvar cl_nodelta EQ 0
sv_cvar cl_packetdup IN 0 1

So we might be able to up FPS.

The main thing is that these settings are done to prevent "cheats" or else stretching the engine to a point where graphical glitches give a user an advantage over others. Granted, anyone can configure these settings. I just want to be sure what we're doing here before making any sort of change. Overall, I'm fine with bumping it up, but we need more feedback from others on this.

IoW Supporter
2531 Points

USA SE Fishing Flag
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:49 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Jayd wrote (View Post): › I think that's an engine limitation actually. I might be wrong but I seem to remember looking it up once.

I had a friend that was testing out 200hz or so in his et server, I think its something extra you have to download. not entirely sure, but I know its possible to get passed 125.

Download Post  No rating  
ontheqt
Admin
Admin
30729 Points

USA US California
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:50 am   Post subject:  Re: Request: Increase the FOV limit on the server Back to top 

I have no issue with changing FOV.

Download Post  No rating  
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:55 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

To clarify - yes we can change both FPS and FOV ranges. The question is if anyone has any reason not to at this point.

Retired
Retired
36440 Points

Puertorico US Florida
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:57 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

tAukima wrote (View Post): › I had a friend that was testing out 200hz or so in his et server, I think its something extra you have to download. not entirely sure, but I know its possible to get passed 125.

Oh man, I had given up on ever seeing 144 FPS in ET. I'm excited now lol. if the difference is not too big though I might come back down to 125 for the extra jump distance it provides.

BECK wrote (View Post): ›
The main thing is that these settings are done to prevent "cheats" or else stretching the engine to a point where graphical glitches give a user an advantage over others.

In my opinion, we're not providing any one user an advantage over another. Even if it turns out that a higher FOV causes a graphical glitch of some sort that provides an advantage, these are server-wide settings we're talking about here; all users will have access to this same glitch. It's like FPS. We allow a range from 43 to 125. A lot of people know that certain FPS values offer an advantage over others (the so-called "magic numbers") and we still allow them. I don't see why we couldn't do the same for FOV.

Admin
38083 Points

France US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:21 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

If there was a hack that would take advantage of higher fov, it's probably long gone

Admin
Admin
87019 Points

USA US Michigan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:46 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

And that's even if a rudimentary hack like that somehow gets by silents cheat detection. Those types of hacks were back in unreal 2004, where map control was way more important than aiming, I never saw one in ET.

General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:39 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Okay, so propose some numbers here Smile

Retired
Retired
36440 Points

Puertorico US Florida
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:42 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

360, for the full fisheye effect. O_O

Definitely 144 on the framerate if it's possible.

Admin
87019 Points

USA US Michigan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:54 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

160 for fov and at least 144 for maxfps.

Senior Admin
44798 Points

USA US Illinois
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:57 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

360 fov, so it's possible to see everything & hit nothing.

333 fps I remember that was another magic fps number years ago

Admin
Admin
30729 Points

USA US California
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:51 pm   Post subject:  Re: Request: Increase the FOV limit on the server Back to top 

140 FoV max

I really don't know about a FPS increase. Does that give players with a more powerful computer an edge? But whatever you do, I'll live with it.

Download Post  No rating  

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic