Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,349 Exploit Attempts.

IoW's First Custom Map: <IoW> Doc Race hits OPEN BETA

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:43 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

LOL - you seem like you're trying to convince me to change the spawn times. Laughing

I was planning on doing it already actually. Anything to make the map more enjoyable. Certainly don't want people getting frustrated and have to kill the same guy 6 times in the span of 20 feet.

I think I'm going to put a modified script up on the server now, with 20 second (instead of 10) spawn times. Keep in mind, we have accelerated spawn times that will make it 12/16/20 depending on the amount of players.

@Jayd
I tried doing the "1 pixel" thing on the roof and it didn't matter. You could still walk it. I think at this point, I don't really care that you can walk here. It doesn't give you any unfair advantages or allow you to get to areas of the map I didn't intend.

I think some of this is caused by the GTKRadiant rendering anyway. I mean, those SOLID fuse boxes that you can walk though - guess what? I rebuilt the map and ones you could walk through before you can't now, and ones you couldn't walk through you can now. So WTF? They are all copies of each other, I think the compiler just gets confused with it. I will probably have to just put a redundant clip brush on there and hope it solves the problem.

EDIT:
I've updated the spawn times via a custom script on the server. We'll start at 20 and adjust from there.

Retired
Retired
36465 Points

Puertorico US Florida
Yellow Cards: 1
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:28 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

I agree that the timer needs to be raised but you're talking about doubling it. That seems a bit much. I was thinking maybe raising it by 4 seconds and seeing how that went.

Also you can always trying going the safer route: The vents. Wink

@BECK: Alright well thanks for trying anyway. I certainly like standing on those (as I liked standing on the scoreboard/ladder wall before you raised it Sad ) so I don't mind that it isn't fixed lol

General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:26 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

We'll start with 20 and then can walk it back to 15 if that seems too long. Lets try it with 20 for another weekend, hopefully get some good play testing in with it and see what sort of difference it makes.

I'm working on another project in my free time completely unrelated to this, so map fixes are not my priority. Meaning -- beta 3 is a ways off.

Admin
Admin
30760 Points

USA US California
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:50 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Sin wrote (View Post): › The last 2 times i've played the map i've been only running docs. And I really think the spawn times need to be adjusted. I think to either 10 or 12 secs. It happened a lot where I would kill QT under their spawn, and when I ran down to an already opened door, he would backrage me from the top of his spawn. Consider that it already takes a few seconds for him to get down from his spawn, if he gets killed quick, which I killed him quick multiple times, the 6 secs is not even up yet, and he gets a fresh spawn, and I've essentially earned nothing from my kill but a backrage. There has to be more of a downtime to reward people for securing kills under someones spawn while they have an objective, and to punish people for dying.

Just my two cents.

I am so going panser.

Download Post  No rating  
Sin
Admin
Admin
87019 Points

USA US Michigan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:05 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Didn't mean to diss you QT, you're a better shot than most. Just me complaining Very Happy.

Admin
30760 Points

USA US California
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:18 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Sin wrote (View Post): › Didn't mean to diss you QT, you're a better shot than most. Just me complaining Very Happy.

I didn't really take it as a diss. You are a much better shooter than me. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to make fun of my misfortune during that map.

Download Post  No rating  
allagor
Senior Admin
Senior Admin
44798 Points

USA US Illinois
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:04 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

145mph

General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:30 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

allagor wrote (View Post): › 145mph

PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:04 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

suck it jd

Download Post  No rating  
allagor
Senior Admin
Senior Admin
44798 Points

USA US Illinois
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:46 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Your mountain is mine.

General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:12 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

!play sob

As I said tonight. I put a clip brush on all mountains for beta 3. Was thinking of doing a trigger with instagib, but I think the clip brush is okay for now.

Retired
Retired
36465 Points

Puertorico US Florida
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:40 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Suck it neurosis! O_O

Clip brush is OK but insta-gib is hilarious. Smile

Besides the ladder/hole on top and the notification text for dropoint door open/close, what other changes are you making for b3? I already forgot lol

General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:58 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Fixes in a few areas. More cover on the road area. Fixing the windows so they're more visible. Might put more signs and even something to help noobs learn the map. Some people said it was confusing and they didn't know what they were supposed to do. I have some ideas.

Also I think that 20 for spawns is working much better.

Retired
Retired
36465 Points

Puertorico US Florida
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:05 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Oh right, I forgot about the window tint issue. I'm interested in seeing what idea you have to teach people the map by putting something in the map. It's like Inception or something. O_O

I'm also interested in seeing how more cover on the downhill road will affect gameplay since in my opinion the advantage of that path is how fast you can jump down it. I think actually stopping to hide behind cover might not be such a good idea since even if you pick off whoever is shooting you, there's a chance they'll spawn again and kill you before you get to the drop point. Then again I've seen people who don't jump down the road, but just sprint instead, possibly getting mowed down by the MG lol. What do I know though lol. We'll see what happens I guess. It'll definitely be interesting to see how it develops.

And yeah, the 20-sec spawn is working out great. I'm glad Sin brought that up and really pushed for doubling the timer on it.

General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:57 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

So I had been planning on doing some sort of hole or something in the roof over the control rooms, with a ladder to get up there.

Remember that conversation? Go back a few pages if not....

So - not working out great:

For one, making the holes big enough to be effective as "murder holes" (dropping nades, shooting into the corners) makes them also big enough for players to drop through. I tried putting up obstructions so you could still fire in there but not move in there, and it doesn't doesn't work.

So -- how do people feel about leaving the holes large enough to drop into the room? I think it needed as it gives the attacking team another way in (which is sort of map 101 in my opinion). It also doesn't invalidate the team door. That door would still be useful for the defending team to use to get outside quickly to defend the docs.

Concerns? It's going to be way too easy for defending coverts to drop satchels through the holes and blow up the controls. Right now, you've got a 50-50 chance of dying to a tripmine when you open the door.

I guess my concern is I want to make that room less friendly to campers, but not too easy to exploit either. What do you guys think?

Also - has the change in spawntime somehow made this issue better? Is it not as much of an issue when more people know the map?

Thanks!

EDIT: Another idea: Keep the drop-through "murder holes" on the roof, but remove the ladder. That way you have to go the long way to get on top of the roof - either via the vents or by jumping on the roof of the drop point and the rocky wall? Compromise? I think so, because it doesn't just make it so easy for the defending team to get on the roof quickly, yet still provides another way into the room.

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic