Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,349 Exploit Attempts.

IoW's First Custom Map: <IoW> Doc Race hits OPEN BETA

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
Sir Sux-A-Lot
Admin
Admin
38083 Points

France US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:49 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

I only played it once so maybe I'm getting confused (esp. the cave part) but I was thinking windows on the same side as the door. Is there one door or 2 (on each side?). Or maybe instead of regular doors, you make them sliding doors with switches so that they can stay open until the enemy closes it.

I think a hole in the roof can also help preventing camping.

General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:51 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Hmmm....there is a corridor between the room with the CP in it and the control rooms...not sure how I can put a window there that would be effective. Or maybe I'm not understanding?

(EDIT: That post was in response to JayD)

@Sir
I'm intrigued by the sliding door idea, but not sure where the controls would be. The thing is - I wanted the team doors there so that someone can't just grab the docs, run in and build the controls, open the door then just run out the door and into the drop. That is too easy. WE did have a few times where we had a covie with a uni open that door, but that's great! That means people are playing good team-based play and doing their job.

Retired
Retired
36465 Points

Puertorico US Florida
Yellow Cards: 1
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:04 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Oh sorry, looks like I misunderstood Sir's original statement. The problem I have with camping in those rooms is not trying to go in them from spawn to prevent the other team from building/opening, it's more of trying to go in them from the cave when I'm trying to get into my own controls to build/open and someone from the other team is camping it, since they can get to it so fast from their spawn. My mistake.

I don't think the windows will help too much but the extra hole on the top seems like a really cool idea. That can help both sides even. For example if Sin was camping my controls I could have someone from my team (for example the person in position with the obj or maybe a spawn camper) to climb up and try to momentarily clear the room when I'm on my way there to build/open. I think it would be a good idea to keep the hole small enough so that you can't go into that room through there though because if not, two people from the opposite team can run down with obj and one of them can just climb the ladder and open the objective drop for the other teammate without the need for a uni. That would probably make it too easy.

The sliding door idea also sounds intriguing, but the need for two specialty switches seems like a nightmare for BECK to put together. You'd need one team-only switch on the outside so that the team who owns the door can open/close it when they come down the hill and then you'd need another switch so that the opposing team can close it from the inside (but only close it, not open it) but also make it so that ONLY the team that owns the door can pull that switch to open the door if they need to (or for a covie from the other team to open it as well, of course) so you can keep the original purpose of that door.

Tbh I think it adds more complexity to that door than there needs to be. I can't think of other situations where an area that is easily campable and has a door that can be tripmined causes that much of a problem that it should be fixed.

Admin
38083 Points

France US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:15 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

yea i was just reacting at the possible camping in that room but the same room can be camped from slightly outside so the door/window thing is kinda negated.

However the open roof is likely a better idea (imagine a panzer camping over there now...)

Retired
Retired
36465 Points

Puertorico US Florida
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:21 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Oh God! lol Maybe the hole is not such a good idea? haha

I mean if someone tries to camp that hole though, you can easily pick them off from down at the obj drop if you're waiting for a teammate to build/open. I think it balances itself out.

General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:24 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Let me consider the roof idea a bit more. I was thinking someone could drop in there, but then its still not easy to get out, you'd have to either have a uni or else run all the way around if you dropped in there with objective. BUt it does cause someone who is camping to have three areas to watch now, not to mention the window slit, although it is a bit harder to fire in there.

Als0....

The map broke stats this week. LMFAO. Is that okay? JayD gets 100 f'n kills on it! Maybe it is too frantic?

Retired
Retired
36465 Points

Puertorico US Florida
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:35 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Like I said, I don't think it would be a good idea to have people to drop in. Firstly because like I mentioned earlier if the opposing team runs down there with two people, one of them could drop in and open the door for the other, making it too easy IMO. Another reason would be that it would obviate the need for the team that spawns near there to even use the door and risk tripmines when they can just drop in from above. I do like your point about giving the camper another place to watch out for though. That's a good observation.

100 PPSh kills? WTF? I don't remember that lol. Upon further inspection though, it looks like that was on Tuesday which means it was during the beta best. Maybe I was just trolling an AFK member? I dunno lol

General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:52 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Yeah, I think beta testing it counted all that as 1 map. I had over 100 deaths too which i don't remember LOL.

You're right - I don't want to make the door useless. So maybe some smaller "vents" on the roof that can be opened and exposed to nades and things being dropped in?

Retired
Retired
36465 Points

Puertorico US Florida
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:54 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Yeah I think that's a good idea. I'd also like to be able to shoot in there with a gun though so if you could please don't make the vents so small that they're not useful for shooting as well.

Retired
36465 Points

Puertorico US Florida
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:35 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Not sure if this was intentional or not but there seems to be a clip brush on the bottom edge of the angled roofs of the bases.

And the inside of the glass for the control rooms definitely needs work. Besides looking like there's nothing there (which doesn't bother me), it also doesn't show any damage from knives, bullets or explosions.

General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:34 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I had removed the glass texture from both sides of the brush. I think it got the weathered glass look from it being on both sides. I'll restore that.

I'm aware of the other issue you speak of. Not sure why that happens but its not really a huge deal.

I also can't figure out why you can walk through some of the fuse boxes in the caves but not others. They are all copies of each other. They're solid brushes. I will probably end up having to wrap them in a clip brush, unfortunately.

Retired
Retired
36465 Points

Puertorico US Florida
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:17 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

BECK wrote (View Post): ›
I had removed the glass texture from both sides of the brush. I think it got the weathered glass look from it being on both sides. I'll restore that.

There's also something else that's weird with the glass. For some reason on the Allied drop point, the pane on the right looks like it's not there at certain distances. Could this maybe be a lighting thing? Check it out:
http://imgur.com/a/qgV8h

P.S. That album contains some other issues I saw, mostly with the roads.

BECK wrote (View Post): ›
I'm aware of the other issue you speak of. Not sure why that happens but its not really a huge deal.

Yeah I didn't think it was a huge deal either, I just wanted to point it out just in case you didn't want it that way and hadn't noticed. I was talking to Taukima about it and he said you could make the slanted roof be slightly offset from the floor as to not be perfectly flush and that would do it. I also think if you could just cut out like a 1px line of floor from under the slanted roof (which would result in essentially the same thing Taukima suggested) that could do it. I just don't know if that's something you can do in Radiant. Here's a video of what I think the cause of the issue is:

https://youtu.be/VEi_FXtAnhY

General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:36 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Youtube link doesn't work.

Thanks for the other stuff - the "bump" in the road probably won't be fixed. Some of the other texture things you found I will probably fix. The window thing is weird. All of this started when I was trying to fix the windows based on weird stuff allagor and v2 saw with their gimped graphics.

Retired
Retired
36465 Points

Puertorico US Florida
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:49 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I don't know why the link's not working for you. It was working fine for me. Just had a friend test it and it works. :-\ Let me try the non-shortened link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEi_FXtAnhY

Anyway what the video shows is just that if you keep walking from the edge of the floor to the slanted roof, your character will just keep walking as if the floor was still there. I assume that's because of the way ET floors work where you can stand on the very edge of it and walk around, to the point where you're not even really standing on it, you're kinda just standing in mid-air. Either way, it doesn't look like a clip brush was put at the bottom of the slanted roofs, I was just assuming wrongly there.

Admin
87019 Points

USA US Michigan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:02 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

So usually on this map, I kind of try to horde the controls all map and keep the doors open for my teammates and keep the other doors closed. The last 2 times i've played the map i've been only running docs. And I really think the spawn times need to be adjusted. I think to either 10 or 12 secs. It happened a lot where I would kill QT under their spawn, and when I ran down to an already opened door, he would backrage me from the top of his spawn. Consider that it already takes a few seconds for him to get down from his spawn, if he gets killed quick, which I killed him quick multiple times, the 6 secs is not even up yet, and he gets a fresh spawn, and I've essentially earned nothing from my kill but a backrage. There has to be more of a downtime to reward people for securing kills under someones spawn while they have an objective, and to punish people for dying.

It would also reduce the ludicrous amount of kills that happen in that map. I understand we want it to be chaotic and intense, but it really is pushing the line to frustrating. I shouldn't have to kill a wave of just 1 person over and over again just because the spawn time is too short. He should value his life more but he doesn't because he knows he'll spawn again before I can make a break for it. As it is, there isn't any risk on defense I feel. All of the risk is on offense, where it takes close to 30 seconds to run and get an objective and then run to the drop-off point. You can kill the same person 4 or 5 times in that span, and he's still there to meet you at the end, resulting in him having really no penalty for dying all those times.

Just my two cents.

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic