Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,348 Exploit Attempts.

Mouse acceleration

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
Jayd
Retired
Retired
36465 Points

Puertorico US Florida
Yellow Cards: 1
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:26 am   Post subject:  Mouse acceleration Back to top 

So come to find out, for the entirety of my ET career I've been playing with Windows's mouse acceleration turned on. Yes, I do feel like an idiot. With 3 1080p screens though, using my computer without mouse acceleration is neigh impossible. Too many pixels to traverse. My question to you guys is, is there a way to automate turning mouse accel. off in such a way that when I launch ET it turns it off automatically? That would be great.

Admin
87019 Points

USA US Michigan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:15 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I prefer to keep it on, it's not some magical setting that's instantly going to make you better. If you've been using it all these years, just keep it on.

Last edited by Sin on Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin
38083 Points

France US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:15 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I don't think you can do that unless you want to reboot every time you get on/off ET

You can play with the DPI on your mouse if you can, that should be a workaround, sort of. Maybe even the software for your mouse can bypass it (speculating here)

General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:20 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I agree with sin, why change it now? Do you think your k/d is going to go up because of it? Do you normally have a problem tracking players?

What affect is mouse acceleration supposed to have on the game? I've heard other people complain about it, but I never mess with that stuff myself. I have very high DPI and very high sensitivity on my mouse when I play ET.

PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:04 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I had to turn mouse acceleration off in Windows because I originally learned to play ET on FreeBSD. There was no mouse acceleration. I started using windows because there are no gaming chat clients available for FreeBSD, only servers. On M$hit, With it on, it was a nightmare to try to track people.

If you are used to it.. as others have said.. why change now?

Download Post  No rating  
Jayd
Retired
Retired
36465 Points

Puertorico US Florida
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:16 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

That's the thing though, even though I've been using it for years I do have problems tracking people when I'm strafing back and forth. My mouse movements are too erratic. I always wondered why. I'm pretty sure this was the reason.

We'll see how it goes!!

Sir Sux-A-Lot wrote (View Post): › I don't think you can do that unless you want to reboot every time you get on/off ET

You can play with the DPI on your mouse if you can, that should be a workaround, sort of. Maybe even the software for your mouse can bypass it (speculating here)

Changing mouse accel. on and off in Windows doesn't require a reboot.

Last edited by Jayd on Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:21 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

(code word: Jayd has downloaded new hax and this will explain his sudden "leetness") Razz

Retired
Retired
36465 Points

Puertorico US Florida
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:23 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Oh damn, low blow. Razz

Retired
31257 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:41 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I had it on aswell Jayd, but it was on through my mouse program so i can set it up to automatically turn on or off depending on the game i play (SteelSeries Sensai) but it doesnt make much of a difference, i just dont need it to be on.

1877 Points

Canada
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:44 pm   Post subject:  Re: Mouse acceleration Back to top 

Does your mouse have a dpi toggle?

I strongly beleive in having mouse acceleration off.

No, turning this one setting on or off - used to it one way or another - is not going to completely transform your gameplay. Very few settings or minor techniques are going to make any dramatic results individually. But why not take advantage of something so simple that can give you an extra edge and a bit more consistency? Of course it would be more beneficial the earlier you started as it would take you longer to retrain yourself.

The reason I beleive mouse acceleration to be bad has to do with muscle memory. Don't get me wrong having played for awhile with mouse acceleration on you will be used to the fact that the faster you move your hand/wrist the faster the crosshair will accelerate - thats a given. But your brain only has a general understanding of this. Simply and shortly put theres too many inconsistencies and variables with mouse acceleration for your brain to perform the same task as effeciantly without conscious effort.

TL; DR

Will turning mouse accel off after being used to having it on improve your tracking? Yes... eventually
Will it give you dramatic and instant results? No

Download Post  No rating  
Jayd
Retired
Retired
36465 Points

Puertorico US Florida
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:52 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

My mouse doesn't have a DPI toggle, it's just a regular Dell USB optical mouse.

Yeah I don't expect dramatic and instant results, but I do expect it to be better over time like you said.

399 Points

New Zealand
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:52 pm   Post subject:  Re: Mouse acceleration Back to top 

something you could try: add to your startup line in the shortcut for the game: -noforcemaccel -noforcemspd

used to give a result in cs and mohaa similar to the old mousefix registry file that killed windows mouse accel completely, but would only affect the game itself, in theory it *should* work with all q3 engine based games

edit: in before the grammar nazis Razz

Download Post  No rating  
Jayd
Retired
Retired
36465 Points

Puertorico US Florida
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:54 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Awww...did you sign up on the forums just to help me out? That's so nice Razz

399 Points

New Zealand
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:56 pm   Post subject:  Re: Mouse acceleration Back to top 

nah I signed up because I have a history of spamming forums...figured I may as well add another to the list:p

Download Post  No rating  
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:52 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Welcome Dweeb. Got a long way to go to spam more than me, but be nice to have another active forum visitor!

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic