Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,350 Exploit Attempts.

Sgt. Hobbs
Subject:  For the Networking Geniuses
Alright so here's my conundrum. I have Metrocast cable on a spur line for my ISP. Service is sketchy and there is no alternative options (not even dial-up any more). I am no networking guru so speak as much English as possible.
this is what I get from magical speedtest.net

we run 2-3 computers playing ET/World of tanks/World of warcraft generally simultaneously. generally not problematic. however whenever I run Bittorrent every computer on the network will be max ping 999 death. not just the machine with Bittorrent on it. now I hear the port forwarding, I hear the cap the upload rate what I don't know is how to go about doing that.

we are currently running a Dlink (I believe DIR-825 by what I find on the router setup page) and the Modem supplied by Metrocast. (where I have no info.) I wish to avoid getting new hardware as I currently am broke, but suggestions for upgrades will be appreciated for future reference.

Download Post
Nort
Subject:  
What bit torrent software do you use. You can set the download/upload limits within the properties (options) of the software. Example: Myself i use uTorrent. I launch the software goto options - Preferences - Bandwith and can set my limits there.

Download Post
PumpkiN
Subject:  
generally speaking, if you are on a network with that little bandwidth, if you are downloading anything and playing et at the same time, you are doing the internet wrong.

the rates you get from speedtest are what your isp allows to go through the wall, meaning that it does not matter, if all that bandwidth is used up by one computer, the other computers on the network have to deal with what-ever little bandwidth is left (hence huge ping values)

as nort, the easiest way to actually game and torrent at the same time, is to limit the download and upload rates. Once you start tweaking these and testing in game, i will venture to guess that the values that you will stop on will be very slow indeed and might not be worth the extra lag.

i for one could not even think about torrenting and playing et at the same time since im on a dsl line and well my speeds are even worse than yours. (mine are around 8 megaBITS per second -- this is about 1000 kiloBYTES or 1 megaBYTE per second. )

Download Post
Sir Sux-A-Lot
Subject:  
Or you can check if your router has QoS.

If it does, set it properly and you should be good to go.

How-to's are available on Google

Download Post
Sin
Subject:  
What pumpkin said. Dont be the guy that downloads a bunch of shit when everyone is trying to play games. I believe you get your ass kicked for doing something like that.

Download Post
BECK
Subject:  
lol nice Office Space reference there ;) intentionally or not, made me lol.

Download Post
Sgt. Hobbs
Subject:  Re: For the Networking Geniuses
I mentioned earlier that I would appreciate Networking equipment guidance for future reference. now I'm asking what would be good since I am clueless to networking stuff. (I also want to be sold on it so tell me the pros, cons, what I'm working with, etc.

Download Post
Venom
Subject:  
BECK wrote (View Post): › lol nice Office Space reference there ;) intentionally or not, made me lol.

Download Post
PumpkiN
Subject:  
im really confused as to what you are trying to do :(

Download Post
Sgt. Hobbs
Subject:  Re: For the Networking Geniuses
I am trying to improve my quality of network and internet.

Download Post

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: