Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,348 Exploit Attempts.

Great Song

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:45 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Yes last.fm streams music.

Listen to my station here: http://www.last.fm/listen/user/Zunkination/mix

@stev0
You get digital books with album purchases - sure, not quite as good as flipping through them, but you still get them.

Retired
Retired
52130 Points

USA US Illinois
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:57 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Yea I also need to have my music available whenever I want it and in my hard drive. What happens when you step out of your house? You gonna stream it then also?

@Pump
Grooveshark is a good site and I found alot of things I wouldn't normally find. However,If I ONLY used Grooveshark I would be shit out of luck because they don't have the best band in the world..THE BEATLES...or any of their solo work for that matter. So in that sense,to me they fail.

@Beck
I guess the digital book thing is cool. But either way I can't stand Itunes or anything Apple for that matter. I Prefer the Zune also(just got the Zune HD 32GB for xmas from the wife,woot!!!)

Admin
87019 Points

USA US Michigan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:12 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Last.fm got rid of the full track streaming. Now you can only get the radio station thing. Where it randomly gives you songs that are related to what radio station you picked. Kind of gay.

Retired
31257 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:22 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

pshh download FTW

Retired
102492 Points

Estonia
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:56 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

well i guess my situation is special. i dont need the hard copy of a song taking up space on my drive. i dont really travel much and all of my day to day travel is in places with wifi. (we have campus wide wifi and well you can stay connected as long as u stay on campus so u can basically just listen to pandora through you ipod (thats what i do).

as for the beetles .. well they also dont have pink floyd Very Happy but hey thats what i got pandora for!

besides. think a bit into the future. i can see a future with wifi available everywhere and when that day comes. i will have the last laugh!

Download Post  No rating  
miller
Retired
Retired
40315 Points

USA US Massachusetts
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:22 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I use Grooveshark when I am on the computer (90% of my day). It's excellent for listening to music I do not own (yet), and for discovering new music (very important).

However, I also have devices that don't have internet, so I buy songs I want to hear more of from the iTunes store (since it's DRM free now). Then I upload those purchases to MP3tunes and mSpot so I can stream them to my phone and iPad when I'm sick of the songs on my car iPod (I go a long time between syncs).

So I use Grooveshark about 90% of the day, and iTunes on various devices the other 10%. It saves me money, and I get to find new music - but, I'm also supporting the artists I want to hear more from.

--edit--

Also, pumpkin, if you have devices with a cell connection, it's the same as wifi everywhere. My iPad is always with me, so I can stream through mp3tunes or mspot whenever I want, and I also have tethering through my phone so I can download through iTunes to my laptop whenever I want. The future is already here!! It's just really expensive!

And to those who feel they need the songs on their hard disk: what is the difference between that and having a playlist that references streaming media instead of local? If I can upload my iTunes library XML file (only 2mb) to a service and simply reference my media hosted elsewhere, that's a much better use of hard drive space. Bandwidth is cheap.

Last edited by miller on Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sin
Admin
Admin
87019 Points

USA US Michigan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:26 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

miller wrote (View Post): › Also, monkey, if you have devices with a cell connection, it's the same as wifi everywhere. My iPad is always with me, so I can stream through mp3tunes or mspot whenever I want, and I also have tethering through my phone so I can download through iTunes to my laptop whenever I want. The future is already here!! It's just really expensive!
hes not a monkey

Retired
40315 Points

USA US Massachusetts
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:30 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Duly noted and corrected.

JvIasterMind
Retired
Retired
55792 Points

USA US Minnesota
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:21 am   Post subject:  Re: Great Song Back to top 

Pandora is my favorite music streaming service. It has almost every band I can think of and it pays the artists royalties for each time the song is played. Grooveshark has kind of questionable legality since it seems that the songs are uploaded by users (operating more like youtube than Pandora). This explains why some artists are unavailable. Also, I do not think that they pay any royalties.

Anyways, I subscribe to Pandora and love the high quality you get with the subscription. And if you run Pandora on your smartphone, you can listen to the music almost everywhere with a cell phone data plan. I have also tried last.fm but preferred Pandora's music suggestions a bit more.

Download Post  No rating  
PumpkiN
Retired
Retired
102492 Points

Estonia
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:33 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

omg miller !!! how could u mistake me for monkey!?!?!??!?!

i forgive you though. cuz thats what i do. i forgive.

other than that. u got a great system. and i second your question of the need for the hard copy of the actual song.. all it is, is a waste of space and if the song has been downloaded illegally, then also the risk of prosecution.

[rant]
ps. i personally try to keep away from new mobile phones and things of that sort. i have a phone that i have had since i started highschool and it has served me well. (i once took a 30 minute swim with my phone without realizing it and only a short while after draining the phone of the water, it worked just fine. all i use it for is calling. i dont text or none of that bs. all of my friends have these new smartphones and all they do is sit and stare at it. its almost impossible to hang out with some of my friends because they pay more attention to their phone than the situation at hand. i dont want to be apart of that cult.
[/rant]

Download Post  No rating  
miller
Retired
Retired
40315 Points

USA US Massachusetts
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:25 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Quote: › omg miller !!! how could u mistake me for monkey!?!?!??!?!

Your forum avatar is a monkey.

The legality part in pumpkins post is the kicker for me. I live in a country that does't understand even the slightest complexity of copyright law, which means lawsuits surround illegal downloads always go to the highest bidder (most powerful lawyers).

I use a smartphone because I develop software for them, other than that I used to have a "dumb phone" as well. However, it is really nice to be able to stream music to it, instead of screwing around with syncing mobile devices (iPod/Zune).

I like that Pandora gives back to record labels (a bit, tbh that industry is a cash whore anyway), but that's also the only reason their service is not available outside the US. I can use a proxy (VPN actually, much faster), but its a pain and does't work on my phone because I'm not a VPN guru.

PumpkiN
Retired
Retired
102492 Points

Estonia
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:55 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

omg why didnt i think of using vpn to get pandora when i went to estonia last summer?? ugh fail! i was so pissed i couldnt listen to it all fucking summer. but its ok though cuz grooveshark is available everywhere.

Download Post  No rating  
LuneKnight
Retired
Retired
31257 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:11 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

i text sometimes but not to often, but

ipod FTW

Retired
40315 Points

USA US Massachusetts
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:50 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I use it to get Hulu in Canada Very Happy

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic