Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,346 Exploit Attempts.

Which OS Do You Use?

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
Poll :: Which OS do you use as your main?

Windows XP
43%
 43%  [ 7 ]
Windows Vista
50%
 50%  [ 8 ]
Mac OS(X)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Linux Distribution
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Voted : 16
Total Votes : 16

Venom
Senior Admin
Senior Admin
104308 Points

USA US California
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:07 pm   Post subject:  Which OS Do You Use? Back to top 

Since I'm upgrading my video card and adding 2 more gigs of ram, I'm thinking about installing vista to take advantage of DX10 and using all of my memory. I just want to get an idea of which OS is the popular right now ( winxp i'm sure ). Also, If anyone currently is using vista as their main OS, How has it improved since release? I think it should've had enough time by now to get its shit together since it was released almost a year ago. If it's still shit, I think I'll just wait until Windows 7 comes out.

10203 Points

USSR US Hawaii
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:27 am   Post subject:  Re: Which OS Do You Use? Back to top 

dont do it

Brigadier General
67080 Points

USA US Ohio
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:32 am   Post subject:  Re: Which OS Do You Use? Back to top 

I use Vista, although I'd rather have XP, because XP is not a whiny bitch like Vista. Vista seems to be doing alright now, though. I would have to say that it's much better than it was when it first came out, that SP1 seemed to do a lot. I would wait until Window's 7 came out if I were you though, XP is far superior to Vista. It's also not THAT bad once you get used to it, it just randomly tells you that you need permissions to do things that you already have.

sum1else out.

Download Post  No rating  
StEVoNuB420
Retired
Retired
52130 Points

USA US Illinois
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:15 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Vista blows!!! I use XP.

Retired
31257 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:21 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

my laptop failed on me, and needs a new harddrive, so ive been using my mom's laptop which is vista, and it sucks, alawys laggy, but on my laptop i had XP, i miss my laptop >.>

But DO NOT GET VISTA!!!!!!!!!!!

General of the Army
279757 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:39 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Remember Windows ME? Yeah, that was a piece of shit OS too...I'm hanging on to XP as long as I can.

Retired
Retired
52130 Points

USA US Illinois
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:59 am   Post subject:  Re: Which OS Do You Use? Back to top 

Quick question:

I bought a original copy of XP a couple of years back,when I first got my comp. Since then it has been reformatted at least 3 times and each time I have used my XP cd and the key that was given. Now, is there a maximum number of times I can use it? Or is it as many times as I want? I bring this up because when I had the viruses, I was thinking I would have to reformat to get rid of them,but I was afraid that if I did,I wouldnt be able to use my XP CD anymore. Thankfully Pete helped me get rid of them(thanx again) and now its more of a curiosity question,and a what if.

Retired
31257 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:14 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

i think you can reuse them again, but then again any comp problems i asked my friend/non active clan member (DarkStrike) other wise id be screwed

Retired
62486 Points

Poland US Illinois
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:34 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

hold the phone, people be hating on vista and only trying it for short time or jumping on the bandwagon

first of venom, some peeps can account for this, that i'm perty good in workin with comps and shit and so im speaking with some expertise

and so, vista has gotten ALOT BETTER, it runs faster on my 2.4ghz core2duo laptop than xp does (i dual boot) because of Vista's prefetch, the longer u use it the faster it gets, which i found to be opposite for XP

on top of that, Vista 64-bit, blows xp out of the water in anything that i do, i experience faster load times

with alot of updates and fixes, vista is def a smoother OS than XP, hell i read an article that vista ran better and use less battery power on an Asus EEEpc than xp, imagine that, on 1.4 ghz atom processor, vista better than xp

on downside to Vista is that it starts slow from a cold boot, although XP loads faster from startup, Vista overtakes it after it has been loading, imo which is better, rather wait 30 seconds more for startup to experience better performance (plus i usually just have my laptop on standby so i dont experience the slowness)

also, i have majorly tweaked my vista useing Vlite (which i strongly recommend) as well as doing routine cleanups with ccleaner and a disk defrag, vista has been a lot better than XP, and the new drivers for my card (nvidia 8000 series) works very very smoothly

plus it just looks cooler

dont forget that if u get a vista 32bit, ur license is also valid for a 64-bit version, or just get a bootleg,

@beck, my second desktop came with Me, and i must say that is the crappiest POS i've ever tried, so bad, vista is def not like that at all

Retired
62486 Points

Poland US Illinois
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:36 am   Post subject:  Re: Which OS Do You Use? Back to top 

StEVoNuB420 wrote (View Post): › Quick question:

I bought a original copy of XP a couple of years back,when I first got my comp. Since then it has been reformatted at least 3 times and each time I have used my XP cd and the key that was given. Now, is there a maximum number of times I can use it? Or is it as many times as I want? I bring this up because when I had the viruses, I was thinking I would have to reformat to get rid of them,but I was afraid that if I did,I wouldnt be able to use my XP CD anymore. Thankfully Pete helped me get rid of them(thanx again) and now its more of a curiosity question,and a what if.

u can use ur key as much as u want, hell ive been using the same bootleg key for like 5 years

i think macs may limit the key cuz they are teh gay

Retired
62486 Points

Poland US Illinois
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:37 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

as for the permissions thing, its take ONE EASY STEP to turn it off, under control panel and users, just turn it off, not a big damn deal

and people make such a big deal about the UAC (thats the permission thing that pops up each time u want to install) especially mac fucking fan boys, but OS X does that same shit, u need to type in admin password each time u want to make a change or install something, so i dont get where the double standard comes in there

and once again, the UAC, one step to turn it off, dont judge vista based on that

Retired
31257 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:40 am   Post subject:  Re: Which OS Do You Use? Back to top 

what is windows AIK?? i want to get my moms laptop to perforce at its best

Senior Admin
104308 Points

USA US California
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:17 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Well thanks pete for the informative post. I think I'll go ahead and make a dual boot with vista 64-bit. DX10 from DX9 is AMAZING! I've noticed water from DX10 looks SO real, among the overall "betterness" of everything it improves. I can't wait to see what CoD4 looks like.

Brigadier General
67080 Points

USA US Ohio
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:19 pm   Post subject:  Re: Which OS Do You Use? Back to top 

Pete, the UAC is off. It just randomly told me when I tried to move a folder, that I didn't have permissions. I was like wtf? I had to go into the folder's security settings, take ownership of it, which I already had, and then give my personal account all permissions, again which I already had. That did nothing, so I went to the highest directory just under the C drive. I took ownership of that, which I already had, gave myself all permissions, which I already had, and it worked.

Now WTF?! That's Vista for you. And Vista isn't that bad, it just does dumbass things like what I just described that drive me nuts. Oh yeah, and my old Zune software that I liked isn't compatible with Vista so I had to get the new version, which consequently sucks. They fucked up the syncing and the GUI is horrible.

sum1else out.

Download Post  No rating  
gchip
IoW Regular
10203 Points

USSR US Hawaii
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:58 pm   Post subject:  Re: Which OS Do You Use? Back to top 

i want that eeepc 1001
should i wait for another freaking new netbook? or buy sooner than later?

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic