Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,349 Exploit Attempts.

What are you listening to?

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
Venom
Senior Admin
Senior Admin
104308 Points

USA US California
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:15 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Nervous wrote: › Are you young people depressed?

ET--a game--sometimes makes me more aggressive. I can't imagine listening to that kind of music and it not having a negative effect at some level.

What's the obsession with death, mayhem, and darkness? Is that what's "cool" now? All those things will come soon enough. All these little freaks shooting strangers in malls and killing children in schools...to which kind of music did they listen? Betcha they weren't listening to my man Van Morrison or "Slowhand" Eric Clapton. Heck, Clapton was a cocaine addict and he didn't have music that was so disturbing.

I guess I'm trying to ask how do you expect to feel if you surround yourself with such negative feelings and energy all the time? Denying unpleasant or negative emotions is a bad thing, but embracing them to that extent could be even more dangerous.

Arrow Van Halen - Feels So Good - OU812

Arrow Van Morrison - Gloria

Arrow Eric Clapton - Hello Old Friend

Mr. Green P.S. Don't go off. Just wondering. It's a question. I listen to music that describes sadness as well as joy and happiness, all ranges of emotions, even anger. But some of you seem stuck in one emotion constantly and I get a little concerned about you.

I assume you are aiming this at me? Somehow I can't take you seriously lolz. There is no obsession with death, mayhem, and darkness...it's just music. I listen to that type of music because that's what I like to hear...it sounds good so I listen to it. Isn't that why you listen to your music?? I would hope so. Don't be biased towards other music genres.

8082 Points

USA US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:40 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Most people would take someone seriously who is expressing a concern for his fellow man/woman.

It wasn't aimed at YOU. Did I quote your post? Did I type @Venom? I don't know you. It was a general concern. That which people surround themselves affects them, whether consciously or subconsciously. If you don't take that from my post, then so be it.
Like this:
Venom wrote: ›
There is no obsession with death, mayhem, and darkness...it's just music

Signature for you:
Cryptopsy
Black Dahlia Murder
HL2 Deathmatch
Dying Fetus
Grammar Nazi
Death Metal
Bad Religion
Cannibal Corpse
Some might find a recurring theme(s) in there. Laughing

BTW, I've listened to some very dark music (even the Doors were considered "dark" and forboding for their time). I just don't listen to it a lot.

As far as being "biased" towards certain music...It's my right. Just like you have the right to listen to your kind of music.

I was asking the question--which you didn't answer, btw--is this "genre" music considered "cool" in general, by young people today? If so, why does it seem more popular (more mainstream, getting more airplay) now than it once did? Is it because the Internet makes it much more easy to distribute? It's my guess, but I wanted other opinions from younger people.

It wasn't an attack dude. It's concern.

Back to the thread:
Arrow Led Zeppelin - In the Evening

Download Post  No rating  
StEVoNuB420
Retired
Retired
52130 Points

USA US Illinois
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:21 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

120 Days-Keep On Smiling

As for the dark music. IMO some of it is pretty cool.Although, I wouldn't listen to it all day everyday and it's definetly not the only thing I listen to. I love every kind of music out there. But seriously could u imagine Venom listening to something like Air Supply or Simon & Garfunkle? I'll listen to "All out of Love and "El Condor Pasa" any day,then switch it up to Dead Kennedy's. People that listen to one kind of music and only that kind of music should really venture out and open their mind a bit more. Just a generalization from the Nubbers.

8082 Points

USA US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:24 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Thanks for "How Soon is Now?" Alex. Love that song.

It's moving up the list steadily on my iTunes playcount chart. Very Happy Will it catch Beck's contribution to my library (Clap Hands - Beck)? We'll see...

Download Post  No rating  
StEVoNuB420
Retired
Retired
52130 Points

USA US Illinois
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:19 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

No problemo.

Nitzer Ebb-Into The Large Air

9964 Points

Canada CA Ontario
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:06 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Screamer death metal certainly isn't cool around here. EDIT: It isn't mainstream, but there are certainly solid groups of people who appreciate it. It takes a confident individual to flaunt the DM band of their choice freely. That kind of stuff will never play during prime time at MTV or Canada's Much Music. Death/Heavy metal, and even good rock songs will only ever play between 1am and 4am. It is truly a shame.

From what I can see, people interested in this type of music are more appreciative of the guitar riffs and whatnot. Example: Between the Buried and Me. I personally don't listen to DM, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate it. Screaming vocals isn't easy. In fact, without proper vocal training, it is very easy to damage your voice box. Think if you "sang" like that today - tomorrow your throat would be soar. These guys play/practice more than weekly.

As far as the whole connections with emotions and whatnot - irrelevant.

Brigadier General
Brigadier General
67080 Points

USA US Ohio
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:13 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Evanescence - Going Under

Download Post  No rating  
Nervous
IoW Regular
8082 Points

USA US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:47 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Arrow Dave Matthews Band - Out of My Hands - from Stand Up

Thanks for the feedback Fuzzy. The voice thing I can appreciate. There are many examples of screaming-like voices being used in popular music history.

Robert Plant
Roger Daltrey
Rob Halford
Kurt Cobain
BeeGees - yes, Barry Gibb explained that he discovered that he could basically "sing" in tune by screaming in falsetto.

These people still maintained at least a bit of melody even when hitting those scream-like passages. However, the voice damage could still have happened. I think both Plant and Daltrey had voice issues at some point.

Download Post  No rating  
Pave_the_Planet
Noob
57 Points

Afghanistan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:14 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Nervous wrote: › Most people would take someone seriously who is expressing a concern for his fellow man/woman.

It wasn't aimed at YOU. Did I quote your post? Did I type @Venom? I don't know you. It was a general concern. That which people surround themselves affects them, whether consciously or subconsciously. If you don't take that from my post, then so be it.
Like this:
Venom wrote: ›
There is no obsession with death, mayhem, and darkness...it's just music

Signature for you:
Cryptopsy
Black Dahlia Murder
HL2 Deathmatch
Dying Fetus
Grammar Nazi
Death Metal
Bad Religion
Cannibal Corpse
Some might find a recurring theme(s) in there. Laughing

BTW, I've listened to some very dark music (even the Doors were considered "dark" and forboding for their time). I just don't listen to it a lot.

As far as being "biased" towards certain music...It's my right. Just like you have the right to listen to your kind of music.

I was asking the question--which you didn't answer, btw--is this "genre" music considered "cool" in general, by young people today? If so, why does it seem more popular (more mainstream, getting more airplay) now than it once did? Is it because the Internet makes it much more easy to distribute? It's my guess, but I wanted other opinions from younger people.

It wasn't an attack dude. It's concern.

Back to the thread:
Arrow Led Zeppelin - In the Evening

i really enjoy how all older people are the same. youve never listened to death metal or any of the underground heavy music styles, yet you still feel the need to put in your two cents.

this style of music, along with punk and grindcore are not popular with kids these days. thats one of the reasons why we are so attracted to it. we see mainstream youth and are disgusted.

youre concern is misplaced. and i really dont even think its concern, i think its just you trying to look mature or maybe its just a chance for you to criticize us without directly doing it. again youre putting your opinion in on something you have no clue about. you think that because we listen to "dark" music (<---LOL) that we have problems. which is, again, just old people speak for "i dont want to take the time to actually see whats wrong with youth today so im going to blame it on something less abstract."

Download Post  No rating  
StEVoNuB420
Retired
Retired
52130 Points

USA US Illinois
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:44 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

He wasnt blaming anything or anyone for kids acting like jerkoffs and killing people for no reason. He wsa simply asking a reasonable question to get a better understanding. Although u don't see many kids that listen to Jazz music murder 12 people in a HS. It's usually some death metal shit like Rammstein or whatever other band is tortured at the moment. I'm not saying someone that listens to those bands are gonna kill anyone,but it doesn't make the situation any better.

BTW-This is a post for what ur listening to now,no need to make it a flame thread by making a complete new account or even making a account for the reason of flaming. Continue this topic on track or it will be locked.

Maldita Vecindad-El Malasuerte

3177 Points

Canada CA Quebec
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:12 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Arrow Amon Tobin - El Wraith
Arrow Sublime - Legalize
Arrow Taxi Nouveau - Creatine Contine

15244 Points

USA US New York
Currently banned
Currently banned
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:46 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Same shit as the grateful dead groupies back when...

Blaming music is such BS... guess wut... how much death and killing is there in cartoons and shit? Maybe the kids also watched family guy... you know that ep when death hurt himself... everyone went around shooting everyone else... cept no1 died...

etc etc

No reason to bring up anything IMHO...

Just a game happens to make up "aggressive" does not mean music does anything... guess wut ET for me is a stress reliever... so it does the opposite... some people heavy music may let out their tension… what’s bad about that?

as for OnT

Serj Tankian - Empty Walls

Download Post  No rating  
Venom
Senior Admin
Senior Admin
104308 Points

USA US California
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:47 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Cannibal Corpse - Eyes of the Dead
Arrow Nile - Sacrifice Unto Sebek
Arrow Nine Inch Nails - Sin

57 Points

Afghanistan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:56 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Tough Shit Mickey by Conflict

Download Post  No rating  
Bolivar
Noob
1932 Points

Brazil
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:37 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Gentle Giants - Dog´s Life

Download Post  No rating  

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic