Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,348 Exploit Attempts.

CRT vs. LCD

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
Poll :: Which one is better for gaming?

CRT ROX MY SOX!!!!
53%
 53%  [ 7 ]
GET WITH IT MAN,LCD PAWNS ALL!!!!!
46%
 46%  [ 6 ]
Voted : 0
Total Votes : 13

StEVoNuB420
Retired
Retired
52130 Points

USA US Illinois
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue May 22, 2007 12:41 pm   Post subject:  CRT vs. LCD Back to top 

From the topic of Plans comp, I just wanted to find out what the majority of u peeps use, and which one u think is better for gaming.

I myself have 2 monitors.Both CRT's. One is a Dell 21 or 22 Inch,this one is my main one that I use for gaming.Works great and I get good picture with it.The second is a 19 Inch Samsung Flat Panel. I use this for whatever other thing im doing at the moment. I could upgrade to a 19 Inch LCD since they are cheaper now than before,but I see no point in doing so,especially if im not gonna use it for gaming. I also remember seeing the LCD with fast movements and to me it seems like it was tracing alot and very blurry. So I still think CRT's are the way to go for gaming.IMO

Retired
108 Points

PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue May 22, 2007 1:50 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

From my experience I think StevO is right on with the tracing on a LCD, if they are lower grade monitors. I play on a 22 inch wide screen ViewSonic VG2230wm flat panel, and I have no tracing.

I always preferred CRTs until I got this one. I can see much clearer and farther than I could on my older CRT.

Download Post  No rating  
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue May 22, 2007 2:25 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

CRT == Boat Anchor IMHO.

I had a 21" CRT at work a few years ago. Love it, never thought I'd get rid of it. However, we got offered smaller LCDs, and the picture and resolution put the 21" CRT to shame.

I have a CRT at home. I also have a 37" HDTV with monitor inputs. One of these days, I'm gonna drag my PC upstairs and hook it up to that thing and play ET on the big screen. Cool

IoW Regular
6971 Points

Ukraine
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue May 22, 2007 2:31 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Beck I wanna vote too!

Download Post  No rating  
Quizzle
Retired
Retired
20692 Points

Canada CA Alberta
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue May 22, 2007 3:08 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

CRT monitors are better for gaming due to the refresh rates. LCDs refresh less and slower than CRTs.

I´m so.... Quizzled.
Download Post  No rating  
Nervous
IoW Regular
8082 Points

USA US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue May 22, 2007 3:51 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Evidently "IoW Regular" status will not let one vote. Laughing

Download Post  No rating  
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue May 22, 2007 3:57 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Hey, in my defense I didn't set up most of the permissions on these forums, I inherited them. At any rate, try now...

IoW Supporter
3048 Points

USA US Indiana
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue May 22, 2007 4:29 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I call Bullshit!

I prefer LCD. If you have a high end one. Designed specifically for gaming. I just can's stand those huge CRT's taking up all that space. It drives me nuts. But if you buy one of those cheap LCD monitors, then consider yourself fucked. I hooked up one some cheap LCD monitor from work up to my old desktop and I could barely even tell that i was actually playing ET. It was one big blur. So be carefull when you buy a LCD. Make sure your not buying a piece of shit.

Download Post  No rating  
mayol
IoW Regular
6971 Points

Ukraine
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue May 22, 2007 4:37 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

The only reason I see for CRT monitors these days - colors. Professional high-end monitors still provide better colors that their LCD competitors. But realistically amount of people who need that kind of color precision is very small.

As to speed, just avoid $200 junk LCD monitors (usually TN type matrix) and your gaming experience will not suffer. Indeed back in the days TN monitors were reasonably fast but provided very shitty picture quality. PVA/MVA/IPS displays were opposite: nice picture quality but way slower. These days all these tecnologoes provide reasonable compromise between picture quality and speed.

By the way a new technology will hit the market soon - SED (Surface-conduction Electron-emitter Display). I dont know much about it other than that SED monitors combine (and try to improve) all nice things from both LCD and CRT technologoies.

Download Post  No rating  
Clanless
IoW Supporter
3034 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue May 22, 2007 7:21 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Theres really no comparison, CRTs are way better. In every possible way with the exception of space used. Theyre even a 1/3 of the price.

Download Post  No rating  
Gimli
IoW Supporter
2038 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue May 22, 2007 8:41 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I bought an lcd and now I can no longer play et........ not sure why, even upgraded my video card (which was a pain in the ass)

but I can play bf2 way better than et.........it's wierd.

et is now choppy on my lcd, and it's also choppy on my brand new fast laptop.... so i think i'm getting close to the end of my et days.

1037 Points

USA US Minnesota
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue May 22, 2007 9:19 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Gimli wrote: › i think i'm getting close to the end of my et days.

LIES!!!!!

You just wait. If I have to send you a 10 year old 15" crt just so you can rock some goldrush you will play on brotha! YOU WILL PLAY ON BRUTHA!!!!!

Ice

Download Post  No rating  
Gimli
IoW Supporter
2038 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue May 22, 2007 9:23 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

lol I still have a crt, but don't wanna plug it in because I love my lcd.... just can't play et on it.... tired playing et on my fast laptop, but to no avail, it was worse then my desktop and lcd monitor

1696 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue May 22, 2007 11:41 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

i hit a plateau gamingwise with my 4 year old laptop lcd a while back due to all the tearing and blurring... when i switched to my 9 year old 19" CRT i definitely improved my game. i can't say anything about newer lcds but crt's are definitely better gamingwise at least for me

Download Post  No rating  
jjDYNOmight
IoW Supporter
607 Points

USA US Indiana
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed May 23, 2007 12:18 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Hey GIMLI!!!

Why not hook both of them up?

If you have a pretty good video card you can have the benifits of both worlds.

On my primary PC-('til my test is done)--i have a 6600GT AGP card with both a Samsung 19" CRT and a 19" LG LCD---the card has 2 outputs and I have them setup as dual monitors--(in nvidia setup).

You can use 1 to play ET-(CRT) and the other for any other game you have.

I am able to start ET in either one so long as monitor setup (primary or secondary) is setup.

I've played ET on my LG---but I like the CRT way better---maybe just use to it????---colors and FPS nothing lower than 96...

FYI---I got a 17" CRT for $20---any takers?---lol

AND YOU PAY SHIPPING!!!

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic