Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,349 Exploit Attempts.

Poll :: Which one is better for gaming?

CRT ROX MY SOX!!!!
53%
 53%  [ 7 ]
GET WITH IT MAN,LCD PAWNS ALL!!!!!
46%
 46%  [ 6 ]
Voted : 0
Total Votes : 13

StEVoNuB420
Subject:  CRT vs. LCD
From the topic of Plans comp, I just wanted to find out what the majority of u peeps use, and which one u think is better for gaming.

I myself have 2 monitors.Both CRT's. One is a Dell 21 or 22 Inch,this one is my main one that I use for gaming.Works great and I get good picture with it.The second is a 19 Inch Samsung Flat Panel. I use this for whatever other thing im doing at the moment. I could upgrade to a 19 Inch LCD since they are cheaper now than before,but I see no point in doing so,especially if im not gonna use it for gaming. I also remember seeing the LCD with fast movements and to me it seems like it was tracing alot and very blurry. So I still think CRT's are the way to go for gaming.IMO

Download Post
HalfBaked
Subject:  
From my experience I think StevO is right on with the tracing on a LCD, if they are lower grade monitors. I play on a 22 inch wide screen ViewSonic VG2230wm flat panel, and I have no tracing.

I always preferred CRTs until I got this one. I can see much clearer and farther than I could on my older CRT.

Download Post
BECK
Subject:  
CRT == Boat Anchor IMHO.

I had a 21" CRT at work a few years ago. Love it, never thought I'd get rid of it. However, we got offered smaller LCDs, and the picture and resolution put the 21" CRT to shame.

I have a CRT at home. I also have a 37" HDTV with monitor inputs. One of these days, I'm gonna drag my PC upstairs and hook it up to that thing and play ET on the big screen. 8)

Download Post
mayol
Subject:  
Beck I wanna vote too!

Download Post
Quizzle
Subject:  
CRT monitors are better for gaming due to the refresh rates. LCDs refresh less and slower than CRTs.

Download Post
Nervous
Subject:  
Evidently "IoW Regular" status will not let one vote. :lol:

Download Post
BECK
Subject:  
Hey, in my defense I didn't set up most of the permissions on these forums, I inherited them. At any rate, try now...

Download Post
Alkaline
Subject:  
I call Bullshit!

I prefer LCD. If you have a high end one. Designed specifically for gaming. I just can's stand those huge CRT's taking up all that space. It drives me nuts. But if you buy one of those cheap LCD monitors, then consider yourself fucked. I hooked up one some cheap LCD monitor from work up to my old desktop and I could barely even tell that i was actually playing ET. It was one big blur. So be carefull when you buy a LCD. Make sure your not buying a piece of shit.

Download Post
mayol
Subject:  
The only reason I see for CRT monitors these days - colors. Professional high-end monitors still provide better colors that their LCD competitors. But realistically amount of people who need that kind of color precision is very small.

As to speed, just avoid $200 junk LCD monitors (usually TN type matrix) and your gaming experience will not suffer. Indeed back in the days TN monitors were reasonably fast but provided very shitty picture quality. PVA/MVA/IPS displays were opposite: nice picture quality but way slower. These days all these tecnologoes provide reasonable compromise between picture quality and speed.

By the way a new technology will hit the market soon - SED (Surface-conduction Electron-emitter Display). I dont know much about it other than that SED monitors combine (and try to improve) all nice things from both LCD and CRT technologoies.

Download Post
Clanless
Subject:  
Theres really no comparison, CRTs are way better. In every possible way with the exception of space used. Theyre even a 1/3 of the price.

Download Post
Gimli
Subject:  
I bought an lcd and now I can no longer play et........ not sure why, even upgraded my video card (which was a pain in the ass)

but I can play bf2 way better than et.........it's wierd.

et is now choppy on my lcd, and it's also choppy on my brand new fast laptop.... so i think i'm getting close to the end of my et days.

Download Post
Nilla
Subject:  
Gimli wrote: › i think i'm getting close to the end of my et days.

LIES!!!!!

You just wait. If I have to send you a 10 year old 15" crt just so you can rock some goldrush you will play on brotha! YOU WILL PLAY ON BRUTHA!!!!!

Ice

Download Post
Gimli
Subject:  
lol I still have a crt, but don't wanna plug it in because I love my lcd.... just can't play et on it.... tired playing et on my fast laptop, but to no avail, it was worse then my desktop and lcd monitor

Download Post
razi
Subject:  
i hit a plateau gamingwise with my 4 year old laptop lcd a while back due to all the tearing and blurring... when i switched to my 9 year old 19" CRT i definitely improved my game. i can't say anything about newer lcds but crt's are definitely better gamingwise at least for me

Download Post
jjDYNOmight
Subject:  
Hey GIMLI!!!

Why not hook both of them up?

If you have a pretty good video card you can have the benifits of both worlds.

On my primary PC-('til my test is done)--i have a 6600GT AGP card with both a Samsung 19" CRT and a 19" LG LCD---the card has 2 outputs and I have them setup as dual monitors--(in nvidia setup).

You can use 1 to play ET-(CRT) and the other for any other game you have.

I am able to start ET in either one so long as monitor setup (primary or secondary) is setup.

I've played ET on my LG---but I like the CRT way better---maybe just use to it????---colors and FPS nothing lower than 96...

FYI---I got a 17" CRT for $20---any takers?---lol

AND YOU PAY SHIPPING!!!

Download Post

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: