Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,348 Exploit Attempts.

I want my old IoW server back

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
Poll :: Should we go back to our old pub version?

Hell yes we should
44%
 44%  [ 15 ]
No,I actually like this gay ass mod
55%
 55%  [ 19 ]
Voted : 2
Total Votes : 34

Nilla
IOW Anger Managment
1037 Points

USA US Minnesota
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:36 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Honestly, the new one is worse....SORT OF. It took me a good hour to figure out the difference. Here is my checklist:

Hitboxes: Same shitty pub boxes as ever. THOUGH it appears the prone boxes may be slightly less retarded. prior versions of pub put the head hitbox behind the body....despite what TJW's snapshots show. (anyone remember SHRUB prone hitboxes?) Overall....NO CHANGE.

Static Ping: Same. Not any excess functionally pulled in by this mod that cause connection issues.....statically.

Overall connection: This is the tricky part. Why do people with 25-30 pings get connectous interruptous? I think it boils down to my general problem with pub(explained later). After unleashing my framerate, I found my fps was about 15-20 frames slower than the prior server setup. (looking at the same wall on goldrush). This leads me to believe there are extra processes running serverside enducing lag and even clientside affecting framerate.

Conclusion.....the mod designers are getting out of control. What added functionality is in this version or the last upteen versions of pub? Frankly, they need to strip down pub and make it lighterweight and maybe then the parady that everyone complains about in general gameplay will go away.

If it is up to me to vote, I say leave it with the new version. Mr. Beck spent many an hour upgrading in hopes that it would fix some of the things that everyone has been complaining about. It took me a couple of maps to get used to the new version, but it really isn't that much different than the last version. Beck, thanks for the work you put into this. It definitely is not better than the last version....but it definitely is not worse either. In the end it is still pub....and it still blows.

Ice

Download Post  No rating  
cheezeduck
IoW Regular
7145 Points

Canada CA Alberta
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:40 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

time for me to give my reasons i guess...

1. hitboxes are messed
2. ping has drastically changed for me
3. tab menu is too confusing
4. i lag wen too many ppl are on
5. server more unpopulated now than b4
6. the movements feel awkward...more jumpy than smooth
7. i personally like the crouch glitch...so ya, just a personal liking thr
8. i get 999'd on the server frequently and am forced to leave

I'm sorry, but the server is just a bitch to play on now and i don't find it fun...honestly, how sad is it if our other 2 servers r more active than pub and the other 2 servers only have 5 ppl on them! our server was usually empty and now since the upgrade i find it to be even more barren.

- A little off topic now but i have noticed that lots of pubbers have been complaining lately about mods, hitboxes, clan members, hax, abuse or w/e and it is appearing to b a cause of desertion on the server.

I hate to b the bearer of bad news and ur all probably gonna hate me for this but our pub server has become a sh*t-hole. I love the clan, i love the members...we r ALL respectable ppl that obey rules but goddamnit ppl, us being nice isn't gonna keep ppl playin if our server is disliked. we have seriously all got to get on teamspeak soon...AND I MEAN ALL OF US and talk about how the server can b fixed for the better so that it is always packed like it used to b. we need to talk, collect, organize and execute. I'm sorry if i am makin u guys angry or if u think i'm just a newb but think about it, i no u all think the same thing about our server and it's time something is actually done about it rather than just random mod changes.

I propose that we ALL or MOST OF US get on team speak with nort and have an organized discussion on wat to do. we talk about popular mods, skins, weapons, hitboxes, versions, EVERYTHING and come up with a solution to the problem.

Retired
Retired
52130 Points

USA US Illinois
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:44 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Actually server was full all day long today until late afternoonish. I really dont think the problem about our server being vacant because of members,server mods or any other reason.It usually always gets low around this time of year.School and exams being the number one cause. It can be full when it comes down to it. Those are some harsh words there Cheese,shithole? Well i dont think thats the case.I think we're doing a good job for a game thats been out for 4-6 years(correct me if im wrong) The only thing saving all servers is the fact that the game is free. As for changing mods or skins,thats a big negative. The server was full before using the regualr mod,no need for that fancy crap. Not to mention I find that all those servers with mods and skins have even shitier hitboxes.Just like No Quarter,now thats a shithole mod.

Point is we as well as all the other servers around are in a slump.Im sure if u actually browse the forums around the same time last year u will find at least 3-4 topics saying that the server has been vacant and blah blah blah.

Although I still would like to change the map rotation so that Radar and Railgun arent back to back.

7145 Points

Canada CA Alberta
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:09 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

i nvr said we had to change nething...i was merely listing out topics which may be discussed. our previous version was the best ever...i never meant mod i meant version lol srry. and i do agree, we must fix the maps putting railgun and radar together is a nono in the et world. and wen i said shithole donh't misenterpret it, we are doing an awesome job, wat i meant by shithole was that people are hardly on and wen they are on it's for a short time. not to mentiopn lots of ppl hack and complain on ourt server now. the server config itself wasn't directed by the shithole comment. however i still think we need to talk about the popular versions, weapons, restrictions, server slots, skins, and other such things.

hope that cleared up some of my "misinterpreted" lines from earlier.

IoW Regular
10203 Points

USSR US Hawaii
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:20 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

i would like to give props to beck for the upgrade. no matter how much ppl dont like it, i like it beck Very Happy

3048 Points

USA US Indiana
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:46 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Quote: › 1. hitboxes are messed
2. ping has drastically changed for me
3. tab menu is too confusing
4. i lag wen too many ppl are on
5. server more unpopulated now than b4
6. the movements feel awkward...more jumpy than smooth
7. i personally like the crouch glitch...so ya, just a personal liking thr
8. i get 999'd on the server frequently and am forced to leave

1. hitboxes are pretty similar
2. dude, Your ping has always been inconsistent everytime I see you play. I have seen you go ping 999 many times on old config
3. you have to be retarted if you cant figure out how to use tab
4. You always lag. Shocked
5. We already know why its unpopulated, its not the new upgrage
6. Have to agree with you here, they are a bit different but doesnt take long to get use to.
7. lmao, you like a glitch
8. getting a better connection, its not the server

Download Post  No rating  
MrBlack
Retired
Retired
52 Points

United Kingdom UK England
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:21 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Im getting used to it now, even give Nilla a run for his money on sunday, so i say let it stay

but agree with cheesedick when server full its a bitch to play maybe need some tweeks server side?

Download Post  No rating  
Plan9
IoW Regular
12129 Points

USSR
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:04 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Anybody else notice that you sometimes bump into things that aren't there?

I mean.. youre jumping along and even if there is nothing in your way, you stop moving as if youve hit a wall in mid-air?

Had it happen to me a few times now Confused

-P9

General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:25 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

OK, haven't chimed in on this thread in a few pages.

@CHEESE
Come on man, shithole? I know you tried to explain what you meant, but honestly dude...
Tweaking any settings such as weapons and skins IS just gonna drive people away.

Lets get something straight here. The only thing that changed was the server dll - to version 0.7.2. The config file is exactly as it was, short of a new message advertising the mod and I fixed the MOTD a bit. So hitboxes and all that shit, the same as before.

I'll see what I can do about the railgun/radar problem.

This is not to say that they didn't tweak or perhaps break the hitboxes in their implementation for the new version. I'm a coder, I know that you can break things you never intended to do by modifying code that is unrelated to hitboxes. Perhaps that's the case.

In all honesty, I've spent a grand total of about an hour on the new version since last week. The only other night I've tried to play it was dead. AND EVERY SERVER WAS DEAD! So no - the new version is not the cause of slowness - we were complaining about that a week before we did this. That is not to say that if our new version becomes hated that that won't be a factor in the future, but for now, no.

@NILLA & CHIP
Thanks for the support, it's nice to get some recognition during this shit tossing fest. But really, it'll take me a few minutes to restore the old version if we decide to do so. And Nilla, your comment about extra server side logic clogging up the works may not be unfounded. They added a bunch of shit for 'active team balance'. Though I didn't tweak this stuff in the configs, it is enabled by default. Perhaps some of these settings can be turned off to increase performance. We could go back to the old player rating settings for instance.

Code: ›
g_ATB [0|1|2]
g_ATB_diff [integer]
g_ATB controls the type of active team balancing you want to use. Active team balancing will automatically move one of the top three player(s) from the team more likely to win, to the team more likely to lose. There are currently two versions. One uses XP, the other playerrating. Set g_ATB to choose between them. Note that g_ATB only decides WHEN to move a player, and NOT which player to move. See g_ATB_rating to see how ATB chooses which player to move.

EDIT:
OK, here is the graph of activity on our server for the last 30 days:

So you can see a steady decline.

Now, here is the last week:

So you can see our average player base has dropped comparing the last 30 days to this last week. Question is, the upgrade to blame, or just a sign of the trend over the last 30 days? I don't know. All I know is, I played two maps in spec Saturday night with no one, so I went to the server list and found every single other server completely dead too (except for like 1 other big server that was like 64/64, and no way do I like that shit).

Stevo is right - we complain about this all the time this time of year, and we always try and blame it on something. Shit, I think last year we blamed it on the fact that we brought railgun back. So there is always a scapegoat for this. I'm not being stubborn, if we feel that our numbers are hurtting, I'll gladly switch back to the old version. I guess we just need to watch the numbers and see the trends with other servers as well.

EDIT2:
For comparision sake, I dug up an old graph:

This would be a month earlier, but even a year ago our average base was only 7, so I'm not that worried right now.

Members can read this: http://www.iowclan.net/php/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=453

IoW Regular
803 Points

Columbia
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:20 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

BECK wrote: › we complain about this all the time this time of year, and we always try and blame it on something. Shit, I think last year we blamed it on the fact that we brought railgun back. So there is always a scapegoat for this. I'm not being stubborn, if we feel that our numbers are hurtting, I'll gladly switch back to the old version. I guess we just need to watch the numbers and see the trends with other servers as well.

Yeah, like two years ago we thought it was happening cause I started playing on the server and everyone just left cause I was so good? Shocked

x.

i don't want to study anymore Crying or Very sad

Retired
52 Points

United Kingdom UK England
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:39 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Good lol! nah everyone thought you were a haxing mofo and left Twisted Evil

Download Post  No rating  
Nort
El Presidente
El Presidente
102912 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:06 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

the mod does have more background processes. no it does not take "hours" to switch them.
That said. I will take a look into the changes tonight and look over the server.cfg file to see if i need to add/remove anything or adjust any settings that will make the experience better. I am waiting to get a vid card yet, just handed over $1000 to the woman this month to go wedding dress shopping. I am hoping to be back in june or july.

Download Post  No rating  
StEVoNuB420
Retired
Retired
52130 Points

USA US Illinois
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:36 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I was playing on QAW server and they also have upgraded to 0.7.2 but the feel and look of it was how our server used to look,before the upgrade that is.I guess it was the letters how they were displayed or something.Maybe Quizzle can clarify things on that he was there with me as well as Lil.

7145 Points

Canada CA Alberta
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:27 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

@beck

dude, i think ur da bomb, u put so much time and effort into the clan and always make things work, i always agree with you and you put more in than u get out. i appreciate everything u do...but this is the first time since i have been in this clan that i have to go against everyone and say that i don't like the change. keep it if you like i will still play it but since the change my connection has been real screwy. u did an awesome job but ya...i'm against this. sorry if i upset u beck and/or any1 else, i apologize if i am being rude and watnot but i will not cut slack on this topic. most of you should no by now i am a pretty passive person that only makes nice comments so i hope u understand that if i am upset about this, that i really am ticked. again i apologize.

General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:32 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

You're entitled to your opinion just like everyone else. Question is now, how many people are gonna get pissed off if we revert back to the old version? Nort said he's gonna try tweaking the configs tonight, so perhaps that will help?

Stev0 - not sure I get what you mean. I know the new etpub client has settings for fonts, is that what you mean?

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic