Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,349 Exploit Attempts.

Nort Help Me Dude!

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
Quizzle
Retired
Retired
20692 Points

Canada CA Alberta
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:02 am   Post subject:  Nort Help Me Dude! Back to top 

Ok. Lately for the past month my ping has been oddly high. For example I will play and my ping will be high at 80, then spratically jump higher to like 200 or 150. I'm use to a 50-70 ping.

I've tried screwing with settings, maybe i fucked something up in my router options. But that wouldnt make sense to me, because that would effect all the computers here.

I'm playing beside my nephew and his ping is at 60, while mine is jumping around like crazy. We always play beside each other and I've never had a ping problem before. (Well I did, but I did a system restore and it was fine again)

Any help?

I´m so.... Quizzled.
Download Post  No rating  
Karnivore
IoW Fanboy
974 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:52 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Most people i play with (including myself) are also getting this problem..

Download Post  No rating  
JEWMAN
IoW Fanboy
14159 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:02 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

its possible your computer could be getting to hot. thas the problem with me and getting my sparatic lag.... you could get some cooling compound and put it on the backside of the fan where it connects and that may help with the problem.

IoW Supporter
372 Points

PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:23 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

It would be put on the backside of the HEATSINK, not the fan. Or directly on the CPU... or both
How ever if i recall that was totaly freazing your computer not causing a higher ping...

If another computer on the same network gets a good ping it must be something with your computer / ET

Just something to check, is your rate set to something good 20000? etc

Id check the /rate setting on both computers... (this is in ET just type /rate and it will tell the default and current...)

Download Post  No rating  
Quazi
Retired
Retired
16243 Points

Poland
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:23 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

I'm lagging too....my ping jumps to 200 - 250 instead of normal 160.

Download Post  No rating  
Matt5
IoW Supporter
372 Points

PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:54 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

open command prompt (start programs accessories)

ping -t 70.85.47.250

see if you notice any ping spikes

just @ Quazi do you have another computer on the same network that you can try ET from? it could just be internet traffic...
do you lag around the same part of the day? or is it totaly random.

Download Post  No rating  
Quazi
Retired
Retired
16243 Points

Poland
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:38 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

It's random and on the PC (2nd comp) it lags even worse.

Download Post  No rating  
Matt5
IoW Supporter
372 Points

PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:10 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

did you try to do the ping thing? even just let it run for a while... alt or ctrl C breaks the ping and gives u the stats...

This should tell if its something running causing et to lag or if its just the internet...

Download Post  No rating  
Quizzle
Retired
Retired
20692 Points

Canada CA Alberta
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:27 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Well I know it cant be in ET. I just reformatted my comp so everything SHOULD be at default settings.

I know it cant be the router because then all the other comps would be effected the same way... right?

Oh well, maybe when i move out it will be fine. Can bad ram cause ping problems by chance?

I´m so.... Quizzled.
Download Post  No rating  
pubstars
IoW Supporter
1361 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:06 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

no. Ping is the time it takes your computer to connect to the server (in milliseconds) Can't imagine it would affect ping unless it is causing ET to go slow (AKA jerking crosshair, transporting people)

372 Points

PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:52 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Quizzle wrote: › Well I know it cant be in ET. I just reformatted my comp so everything SHOULD be at default settings.

I know it cant be the router because then all the other comps would be effected the same way... right?

Oh well, maybe when i move out it will be fine. Can bad ram cause ping problems by chance?

I soo hope you did not do that to fix ET lol...

Basicaly yes... one interent connection = 1 thing to lag... a computer can effect lag but not by too much... (unless it freazes...)

Bad ram, should not

If its not et... the computer could do something causing the CPU to be used and delay ET thus rasing your ping... when you lag does your FPS change? (this will tell if its a CPU being used or not)

dont feel bad Razz i just hacked my router and now again i cant get my laptops wireless to connect... grrrrr... lol

Download Post  No rating  
Tangik
IoW Supporter
310 Points

USA US Alaska
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:11 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Few quick questions since I am at work.

Do you have any other programs that are actively running during the game?

What is your internet connection speed (DSL, CABLE, DIAL UP)? Had to ask that last one.

Is your antivirus set to gaming mode?

Have you cycled your modem? Have you cycled your router?

Have you checked your in game settings for E.T.?

What is your O.S.?

Are you drunk when you play?

Download Post  No rating  
pubstars
IoW Supporter
1361 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:17 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Tangik wrote: › Few quick questions since I am at work.

What is your internet connection speed (DSL, CABLE, DIAL UP)? Had to ask that last one.

What is your O.S.?

I don't think the last two matter Very Happy

372 Points

PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:23 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I Dont think most matter...

dsl/cable should not matter....

ive never seen a AV with 'gaming mode' lol but off would be that i guess...

power cycle should not matter (one computer runs fine so...)

formatted so et is default

os should not matter lol i dont think et can run on anything other then a xp comp but...

LOL drunk could do it though Razz

Just to make it clear you formated
what did you install so far? and it still lags right?

Download Post  No rating  
Tangik
IoW Supporter
310 Points

USA US Alaska
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:29 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

krayz wrote: ›
Tangik wrote: › Few quick questions since I am at work.

What is your O.S.?

I don't think the last two matter Very Happy

At work I always ask the last two... The dumb asses I speak with think its humourous so I ask it.

Download Post  No rating  

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic