Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,349 Exploit Attempts.

Aliasing....a time and a place

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
Nilla
IOW Anger Managment
1037 Points

USA US Minnesota
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:47 pm   Post subject:  Aliasing....a time and a place Back to top 

I have noticed a trend in the past few weeks and hope this is just a VERY short lived fad. Everyone and thier dog is using an alias. For some reason everyone feels the need to play under a different name hiding from their rep. Now, my rep may not be the best, but I at least have the dignity to use my name ALL THE TIME. It gets really fucking annoying when you join and you see a bunch of new playas and are like "cool....some fresh blood." When in reality there isn't a new soul around everyone is just hiding who they are. Is there something I am missing? Did something happen that you guys are afraid to use your handles? And what the hell is up with copying of other peoples names? A few of you are taking other's names and "modifying" them to demean or degrade the said person. wtf mates!!!!!

I understand for admining purposes that aliasing is a must. However, you don't need a server full of admins aliasing.

My advice would be to stick with your god damn name and be proud of it. If you don't like your rep....then do something to change it....not your name. My name is Vanilla Ice. I have alter egos....but I am still Vanilla Fucking Ice. I am not going to treat anyone differently because they are or aren't IOW. There is a time and a place to Alias....but 95% of the time there is no reason to use an alias on this lovely server.

Ice

And Matt, changing your name doesn't change anything. If you intend it to be a permanent name then.....go with it. But 'Burn Puff"??? lol how fitting

Download Post  No rating  
Jayd
Retired
Retired
36465 Points

Puertorico US Florida
Yellow Cards: 1
Yellow Cards: 1
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:19 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I guess they do it 'cause they think it's funny and/or cool? I just change my name to BerryJu!ce whenever the Ju!ces are playing in the server or to Sasuke whenever I notice there's too many IoW's in the server. Don't want to scare the pubs away, you know. Razz

-Jayd

310 Points

USA US Alaska
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:21 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Um ok so who pissed in your cheerios

Download Post  No rating  
Yosh1
Noob
12 Points

PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:26 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

sweet.

974 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:37 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Didn't know there were rules for using names.. i guess i missed that memo.

Download Post  No rating  
Tangik
IoW Supporter
310 Points

USA US Alaska
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:23 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I did not have time to finish that I was at work and got a long ass phone call... anyway it servers its purpose, if you were on ts with us you would know, its been discussed many times.

Download Post  No rating  
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:31 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Ice.

Correct me if I'm wrong - but don't you play as "MC Hammer" sometimes?

Mostly, when the server is dominated by IOW members, we go alias to keep the server from appearing stacked and scaring away publics.

IoW Regular
6971 Points

Ukraine
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:42 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

BECK wrote: › Ice.

.. cant touch this.. Wink

PS I dont like this multi alias thing myself. But I'm not paying for the server either.

Download Post  No rating  
PistolPete
Retired
Retired
62486 Points

Poland US Illinois
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:00 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

mayol wrote: ›
BECK wrote: › Ice.

.. cant touch this.. Wink

PS I dont like this multi alias thing myself. But I'm not paying for the server either.

reason why i change my name, barcleycard is a cool name that i thought of and im tryin it to perhaps change it, pete is lame as hell and there was a reason for it, other than its my name, long time ago when it was created

now my other alias was wolvie's apprentice that i would use when wolvie was on and i went panzer

my last alias, quizzle bitch, is my tribute to quizzle, while his alias is PeTe with the wrong color scheme

btw, everyone knows barcleycard is me, not like its a big secret, i was watchin some soccer when i thought of it, and it was also inspired by regbarclays name, but dun wry pete is here for now and ill represent

Download Post  No rating  
PistolPete
Retired
Retired
62486 Points

Poland US Illinois
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:04 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

ex, dayumed straight u aint payin for this server

nor am i......

Download Post  No rating  
OmegaBlade
IoW Regular
1908 Points

Srilanka
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:09 am   Post subject:  i change Back to top 

I change my name to Evil Omega when ever i sux or whenever i feel like it. All wil know its me for it says omega still.

I mostly just change it because i will be bored or for fun. If the iows play with thier name and a newbie comes they might not want to play for they will think that all these guys ar good and will leave the server. Wink

Download Post  No rating  
Apparition
IoW Supporter
528 Points

Canada
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:36 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

I don't see why it's such a problem to wear an alias, you have something against it?

I personally am proud to wear my tags and my chosen name, Apparition. I change my name here and there not because i'm ashamed or because i'm trying to live down whatever reputation I have. I couldn't care less what my rep is, heh. It's a choice, now personally, I am usually using my tag and proper name.. when I don't, it's either because I don't want a bunch of people constantly /msging me for kicks for afks or whatever reason.
Now don't get me wrong, I do my job, but some things players can do themselves..like vote kicking an afk.
Especially considering my access just got bumped and i'm a ref now.
Alternatively I use an alias name, normally ReverendZelkin, because I damn well feel like it and if anyone has a problem with it, they know what they can do with themselves.

I can't speak for anyone else, though for a word in regard to the co-leaders and others with admin powers aliasing is 50/50. For instance, let's say I call Stevo in to kick/ban a person using a wallhack. So Stevo logs on and doesn't have a chance to change his iow Stevo name. The cheater then leaves when he see's the admin logon.

Now, granted this doesn't happen often, or the cheater know an admin by name but it has happened. Since you, Vanilla Ice, frequent our server you must notice the amount of ppl we ban for cheating on our pub server or for whatever other legitimate reason. I'd say 70% of the time it isn't necessary to alias not 95.

It's also good for new people, so they know that the whole clan doesn't play all the time to just to pwn the new guy. As well as, aliased admins can observe silently and make sure there's no power abuse going on by newly promoted members. But hey, that's just my take on it.

Bottom line, it's about choice, we have it.. I don't know where you get this notion that it might be out of lack of dignity or trying to escape ones repuation, if one exists. Here's a tip: Get over it.

Download Post  No rating  
Nilla
IOW Anger Managment
1037 Points

USA US Minnesota
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:23 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

omgomgomgomgomgomgomg....lolz. LOVE IT JUST LOVE IT. Everyone seems to take such a negative approach to this thread. As I said, it is a necessary thing for policing the server. I am not disputing that one bit. If you are looking to permanently change your name, more power to you. And obviously it is a choice. I am on the server quite a but, and of all those aliases you guys have listed in this thread I could have probrably only recognized one of them. As far as scaring away pubs because of IOW stacking......this doesn't seem very likely. Usually have the usual spec kicking n/such to clear some space along with the number of regulars on the server at any time. And I am not singling out clan members at all, this thread was intended for EVERYONE definitely not just iow. (moreso NON-members) Why would you need to Alias 30% of the time? That makes no sense. That is like saying there is chaos on the server 30 percent of the time. Wouldn't you rather wear your IOW tags and scare away haxors than alias the whole time and have them around? So what if an IOW goes spec. If they are haxing with iows present then they are just retarded. (which I guess is a given since they are haxing anyways) There is nothing to get over Apparition. Obviously it IS a choice, but IMO not a very good one.

Ice

p.s. and as far as MC Hammer is concerned,I have posted that alias on this forum on other forums and obviously everyone knows it is me when I switch. Since you guys are commenting ont it.....you must know that.

Download Post  No rating  
Fuzzy Burrito
IoW Fanboy
9964 Points

Canada CA Ontario
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:10 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

again, i use HOTEL CORAL ESSEX whenever there is more than 4 iow members on. i myself have been known to not enter other servers simply because they are clan dominated, so i believe that it is a very worthy cause. thats even coming from me, no im not the BESTEST shot, but players who have "worse" shots, but still know the game well will be intimidated at entering a server with 22 slots, in which 8 slots are filled by members...

o ya, new alias Wink , La Tuya CABRON, to piss off the mexicans. special thanks to JayD and lildyno for that one, mostly JayD.

o another thought. ice, when i was just a guest on the IoW server, i thought the constant aliasing was retarded too. but as soon as you can do !listplayers, didnt mind so much.

someone give ice lvl one Rolling Eyes

El Presidente
El Presidente
102938 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:28 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

They decision to use alias was based on legit server reasons. For awhile there are popularity was taking a nose dive. we had dropped to an average of 6 players on per day and there were starting to be times that the server was actually empty. So I made the decision to implement a few changes, one being the alias of clan members when we start getting alot of IoW's on the server. This was implemented due to the fact that YES when people connect ot a server if they see a bunch of the clannies on at once, it is intimidating and they assume they are going to be owned, just becuase its our clan server and they leave. Since i have implemented this and other measures our server popularity has climbed back up to a respectable average of 14 players per day and i dont find it sitting empty. As you are not in the clan and dont have access to the statistics or the members section you were not privy to this information.

Download Post  No rating  

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic