Instruments of War :: Official site for the Enemy Territory clan Instruments of War

Instruments of WarWolf ET ChatFinally got a new PC and ET looks like shit on it

#1:  Finally got a new PC and ET looks like shit on it Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:27 pm

Hey guys, I got a new gaming laptop, specs:

i7 12Gen
RTX 3060 Laptop 6GB

For one, the FPS is horrible - I cap at 125 yet its bouncing around in the 40s.
Secondly, as you can see in this vid clip, there's all these glitches all over the screen.

Trying to play full screen with whatever resolution works, tbh, I'm not really picky about making the game look awesome. I just want it to be playable.
Thanks dudes.

Vid: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AuqYOiHKAn1Sgf0ozKx8Q8dFCP716Q?e=BKL1mc

#2:   Author: Sir Sux-A-Lot Post You have posted in this forum: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:20 pm

open the console and type

/seta r_primitives 2

that will fix the FPS

I'm not sure what part of the graphics is bothering you. Can you clarify which part you're trying to improve?

#3:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:41 am

the quality of the video wasn't very good, sorry. There's like a multi-colored snow-like effect that just shows all over the screen.

#4:   Author: allagor Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:06 pm

Sir Sux-A-Lot wrote (View Post): ›
/seta r_primitives 2
100% set that for a modern machine

This screenshot from your linked video doesn't seem normal, possibly the multi color snow like effect you'd mentioned. Do other games have display problems or just ET?
I'd try getting the latest drivers off the nvidia site, &/or trying an install of ETLegacy.

#5:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:39 am

yep, that confetti stuff all over the place. Only happens with ET.

Will try this setting later, thanks

#6:   Author: Jayd Post You have posted in this forum: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:03 am

Does ET:L have the same issue?

#7:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:01 pm

ET:L worse.
The primitive setting didn't seem to help

#8:   Author: Nort Post You have posted in this forum: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:18 am

Did you try what you were going to? back up all your ocnfigs and delete them so you generate the vanilla settings and test?

#9:  Re: Finally got a new PC and ET looks like shit on it Author: gatorhead Post You have posted in this forum: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:17 am

Outside of r_primitives, there are a number of things you can do...

If Nvidia control panel, set a profile for ET.exe or legacy or whatever. Toggle off threaded optimization and anything direct-x related. My opinion, but i hate g-sync and also the amd version, whatever it is, so disable that in NV cortol panel set a fixed monitor refresh rate to whatever matches your hardware. Ensure "prefer maximum performance" is on. Disable trilinear optimization.

Other things to consider is CPU management, it could that based on load, your CPU is throttling down. I think you can adjust your power plan to address that in windows. Personally, i use Process lasso - www.processlasso.com

#10:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:52 am

this helped, thanks Gator.

Now I'm just having issues with resolution. I need to find something that doesn't give me a headache and make it really hard to see far.

Still don't have the mouse feel yet, even though same DPI settings. Dunno what's up, but I can't track people as well as I used to.

FOV is set to 90btw.

#11:   Author: Sin Post You have posted in this forum: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:17 am

That weird multi colored snow looks like a compression problem. If you're not on Legacy(which you should be to minimize problems) then try messing around with the r_picmip setting. Setting it to 3 should make things sharper in general and might help with your long distance problem.

#12:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:00 pm

I've got things worked out pretty much. FPS is stable, widescreen res, no glitches. Now, the graphics are too good and I have a hard time spotting enemies who are far away lol. Never gonna be happy here!

#13:   Author: Jayd Post You have posted in this forum: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:56 pm

At least you got it figured out though. Smile
Instruments of WarWolf ET ChatFinally got a new PC and ET looks like shit on it

Generated using printer-friendly.