Instruments of War :: Official site for the Enemy Territory clan Instruments of War

Instruments of WarGeneral ChatWinnie's new computer

#1:  Winnie's new computer Author: Winnie Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:55 pm

Ok guys I only need $300 before I can build a new computer. I wanted any ideas you guys have. I am starting from scratch new everything. I know somebody told me a site that tells you want is compatible but can't remember. My budget right now is a $1,000 any ideas are welcome and help is appreciated.
Thank you , Winnie

#2:   Author: Jayd Post You have posted in this forum: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:46 pm

The site is PCPartPicker - https://www.pcpartpicker.com/

Honestly at the low-end, AMD and Intel are very competitive with each other so I could make an argument for either an Intel Core i5-10400 or an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 but I'm gonna go AMD because then down the line you can upgrade to the Ryzen 5 5600X if you need to.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (good luck finding it, everything is out of stock lol)

Motherboard: ASRock B550M-HDV (or some other sub-$100 B550 mobo)

Memory: Any good 2x4GB kit that runs at >=3200 (or a 2x8GB kit if you can stretch it)

OS drive: Any decent M.2 NVMe SSD

GPU: RTX 3060 Ti or RTX 2070 Super

Case: Any <$50 case, or even reuse your old one.

Power supply: Reuse your old one or any good >500W PSU. Preferably a fully modular one if your budget allows.

Last edited by Jayd on Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:41 pm; edited 2 times in total

#3:   Author: Sin Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:55 am

Now is honestly a pretty bad time to build a pc

#4:   Author: Winnie Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:14 pm

Im going to start researching cause I still don't have a working arm anyway so can't play yet anyway and my computer now doesn't work so havre nothing to lose

#5:   Author: Sir Sux-A-Lot Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:27 pm

SSD and Ram are pretty cheap right now

3600 is good bang for your bucks. Pair with a recent mobo so you can upgrade the CPU to 5XXX later.

#6:   Author: Venom Post You have posted in this forum: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:10 pm

don't listen to jayd. horrible advice all around.

save up like $1300 then we can talk builds

#7:   Author: Jayd Post You have posted in this forum: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:40 pm

Lol what? Please tell me what's wrong with anything I recommended. I'm assuming she has old hard drives for mass storage so figured it'd be good to have her go for an NVMe SSD instead of a SATA SSD and I'm having her spend most of her budget on a graphics card since, you know, it's a gaming PC first and foremost.

#8:   Author: gatorhead Post You have posted in this forum: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:54 pm

Sin wrote (View Post): ›
Now is honestly a pretty bad time to build a pc

broken record

#9:  Re: Winnie's new computer Author: Nancy Post You have posted in this forum: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:42 pm

She should really just save up more money and build something like this.

Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
EVGA G3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
RTX 3080
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh

#10:   Author: Winnie Post You have posted in this forum: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:25 pm

How much more are we talking for something like that Nancy

#11:  Re: Winnie's new computer Author: Nancy Post You have posted in this forum: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:33 pm

1300 without a video card. If you want a 3080 it would be about 2000 total.

Are you planning on gaming a lot and playing the latest games?

#12:   Author: Sin Post You have posted in this forum: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:56 pm

Nancy wrote: › 1300 without a video card. If you want a 3080 it would be about 2000 total.

Are you planning on gaming a lot and playing the latest games?
A 3080 is probably overkill for winnie. I doubt she even has a 144hz monitor. If shes just gaming on a 60 hz she doesnt need anything over a 5700xt or 2070. The problem is that the new line of GPUs and CPUs are so scarce right now that they've actually raised the prices of the last few gens of hardware. Even just grabbing a 3600 is going to be at MSRP or above instead of finding any good deals and it's not going to get any better if stimulus money starts coming in.

I'd almost try and tell her to grab one of the ryzen CPUs that have a graphics chip built in to them until stock and prices on gpus stabilize and she might even be able to save up some more money and grab a sweet monitor as well in that time frame. Just my 2 cents after having just finished my brand new build a month ago.

#13:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:36 pm

Not to derail the conversation here, but didn't a bunch of us chip in to buy Winnie a new PC a few years ago? Or am I just high and not remembering correctly...

#14:   Author: Jayd Post You have posted in this forum: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:16 pm

Nancy wrote (View Post): ›
She should really just save up more money and build something like this.

Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
EVGA G3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
RTX 3080
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh

Core i9? Why? She's gaming, not rendering 4K videos O_o

The FPS gain from an OC'ed i5 to an i9 is negligible, sometimes the i5 even beats the i9. i9 is a TOTAL waste of money if you're just gaming.

BECK wrote (View Post): ›
Not to derail the conversation here, but didn't a bunch of us chip in to buy Winnie a new PC a few years ago? Or am I just high and not remembering correctly...

Wasn't that like 5 years ago?

#15:   Author: Winnie Post You have posted in this forum: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:28 pm

You did beck. Sense then my computer has gone to shit. I can't even be on it without it freezing . And I could not figure out what's wrong with it. After multiple people have looked at it. That's why I am starting fresh new tower and everything.

#16:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:03 am

Hahah, yeah I guess it has been a number of years. Time flies. I'm still playing ET on a really old PC (i5) so 5 years seems new to me. The PC I'm on now is newer, but I don't do a lot of gaming on it.

#17:   Author: Guest Post You have posted in this forum: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:27 pm

When you're done building a new one, send that old piece of shit to me. I'll fix it and repurpose it.

#18:   Author: allagor Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:13 pm

Make sure to get a good power supply. Two Cents

#19:   Author: Winnie Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:43 pm

Guys I Have decided to go the premade route.
The site I am using is IBuypower. If you can give me suggestions the budget is now no higher then 1,500
This one is also an option.
https://xoticpc.com/collections/g11-omega/products/g11-omega-z490
Need input please.

#20:   Author: Jayd Post You have posted in this forum: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:54 am

Winnie wrote (View Post): › Guys I Have decided to go the premade route.
The site I am using is IBuypower. If you can give me suggestions the budget is now no higher then 1,500
This one is also an option.
https://xoticpc.com/collections/g11-omega/products/g11-omega-z490
Need input please.

I heavily recommend against this on the basis that they're charging you WAY too much money. I just put together a computer on their site that was similar to the one I recommended to you and it came out to $1568.49. I then put together almost the same computer (couldn't find the exact same part, had to get better ones instead) on PCPartPicker and it was $1079.69. BTW I also recommend against an Intel build altogether since AMD is a better value as of right now AND gives you a better upgrade path.

If you really don't have anyone that can build it for you (V3nom?) and you don't think you can put it together yourself (I know you can, by the way) then go with some other website like Build Redux. They charge you normal prices for the parts and then just a $75 build fee on top. I literally put together a similar computer on their website (had to go for more RAM, a bigger M.2 SSD and a bigger storage HDD because they didn't let me choose anything lower) and it was $1384.

#21:   Author: Sin Post You have posted in this forum: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:52 pm

That xoticpc system is a total scam.

It for the most part is cheaper to buy the parts yourself and build it but there are acceptable deals to be found on Ibuypower and cyberpower sometimes.

#22:   Author: Sir Sux-A-Lot Post You have posted in this forum: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:32 am

cyberpower is having a sale right now

this seems to be a good deal for $1200

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1N9XPT with NORUSH coupon (found on reddit)

#23:   Author: Sin Post You have posted in this forum: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:29 pm

What kind of monitor does she have? Without knowing its hard to tell her to get a 3070. If shes got some random 1080p/60hz monitor then the 3070 is mostly pointless. The cyberpower deals seem decent especially if you're looking to get the new series of GPUs. Looks like you order it and they build it when they get them in so you don't have to sit on a discord constantly waiting for in stock alerts like I had to

#24:   Author: Jayd Post You have posted in this forum: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:18 pm

I would be surprised if she had a 1080p monitor, honestly. A computer with a 3070 in it seems like a waste.

#25:   Author: Sir Sux-A-Lot Post You have posted in this forum: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:46 pm

Agreed on all counts but on the other hand, since this was under budget, there is/was enough to grab a 1440p monitor on the side. I think these deals have expired now anyway

#26:  Re: Winnie's new computer Author: Guest Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:32 am

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gaming-Instant-Ship-GXL-99053

Look up the individual parts for this and compare prices.

This doesn't have the RTX card in it but it may not matter for you?

#27:   Author: Sin Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:30 am

That price is pretty bad considering you can get something like this for the same price: https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali472/p/N82E16883360057?Item=N82E16883360057

The 1660Ti gets blown away by the 3060TI. And honestly even then, I don't really like the price on that but that's just me.

I think winnie needs to just grab something like this, and then buy a decent monitor. There are many decent monitors right around 250-300. She can grab a curved Samsung Odyssey for right around there that's 1440p/144hz.

Cyberpower is posting daily deals everyday until MLK day at 8pm est. If winnie is serious about getting a PC she needs to jump on one of those. Yesterday there was a 3070 system for $980.

#28:   Author: Winnie Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:53 pm

You guys are all giving good options. I have no idea what I'm doing at all . I don't know enough about computers that I don't understand what I am even looking at with what you guys show me. Irs bling faith that which ever one I pick that you guys showed me will work for me .

#29:   Author: Winnie Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:02 pm

You guys are all giving good options. I have no idea what I'm doing at all . I don't know enough about computers that I don't understand what I am even looking at with what you guys show me. Irs bling faith that which ever one I pick that you guys showed me will work for me .

#30:   Author: Venom Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:04 pm

someone needs to just tell winnie which one to buy

#31:   Author: Jayd Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:42 pm

Winnie, when's a good time for us to get on Discord and talk? We can explain this to you and help you make a decision that fits your needs and your budget.

#32:   Author: Winnie Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:46 pm

I can do it anytime tomorrow. Just let me know when and I'll be there.

#33:   Author: Winnie Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:48 pm

But if you can do ts that works better cause I have that DL on my mom's laptop so I won't freeze every 2 minutes

#34:   Author: Jayd Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:39 pm

TeamSpeak is fine. Just text me

#35:  Re: Winnie's new computer Author: Nancy Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:11 pm

Make sure to get an Intel CPU and Nvidia graphics card. Don't listen to JayD.

#36:  Re: Winnie's new computer Author: bearcat* Post You have posted in this forum: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:15 pm

Winnie, hi!
On your first post, I think you should of told people what you going to use the new computer for. Do you really need a state of the art box for a 18 year old game and handful of five dollar games you buy from where ever. So far all I see is people pulling out their techies and seeing who's bigger.

#37:   Author: Winnie Post You have posted in this forum: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:54 pm

Hi once I have a new computer I want to try newer games and see what's out there and play more games then I do know

#38:  Re: Winnie's new computer Author: Venom Post You have posted in this forum: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:24 pm

Nancy wrote (View Post): › Make sure to get an Intel CPU and Nvidia graphics card. Don't listen to JayD.

#39:  Re: Winnie's new computer Author: Jayd Post You have posted in this forum: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:30 pm

Nancy wrote (View Post): › Make sure to get an Intel CPU and Nvidia graphics card. Don't listen to JayD.

You still haven't replied to my last post asking about your asinine recommendation of an old-gen Core i9 so I'm gonna assume you're just trolling and ignore you. XD

And lol V3n I KNOW you're trolling. You're usually pretty informed on the hardware side of things so there's no way you think Intel is seriously better value than AMD right now.

#40:  Re: Winnie's new computer Author: Nancy Post You have posted in this forum: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:07 pm

Jayd wrote (View Post): ›

You still haven't replied to my last post asking about your asinine recommendation of an old-gen Core i9 so I'm gonna assume you're just trolling and ignore you. XD

And lol V3n I KNOW you're trolling. You're usually pretty informed on the hardware side of things so there's no way you think Intel is seriously better value than AMD right now.

Should be good deals as they sell off remaining stocks of 9th gen.

I have built two AMD computers in the past and my latest computer I built 2-3 years ago I went Intel and Nvidia. Don't think I will ever switch back to AMD.

#41:  Re: Winnie's new computer Author: Jayd Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:23 am

Nancy wrote (View Post): › Should be good deals as they sell off remaining stocks of 9th gen.

I have built two AMD computers in the past and my latest computer I built 2-3 years ago I went Intel and Nvidia. Don't think I will ever switch back to AMD.

So your latest knowledge is from building a computer 2-3 years ago? And the last time you built computers with AMD processors in them was long before even that? I don't see why you're saying to ignore my recommendations and go with Intel, then. No one is recommending AMD processors from 3+ years ago, the only one recommending anything close to that is your recommendation of a completely overkill (for gaming) processor from 2018. Even discounting the fact that the "information" (if it can be called that) you provided to recommend against AMD is completely anecdotal, current AMD processors are running on COMPLETELY different microarchitectures to the ones of years prior so the statement is irrelevant anyway, if it wasn't already. The processors AMD had out just before Zen weren't exactly the best, yes, but as stated that's completely irrelevant to the processors they are putting out now.

#42:  Re: Winnie's new computer Author: Sin Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:59 pm

Nancy wrote (View Post): › Should be good deals as they sell off remaining stocks of 9th gen.

So your latest knowledge is from building a computer 2-3 years ago? And the last time you built computers with AMD processors in them was long before even that? I don't see why you're saying to ignore my recommendations and go with Intel, then. No one is recommending AMD processors from 3+ years ago, the only one recommending anything close to that is your recommendation of a completely overkill (for gaming) processor from 2018. Even discounting the fact that the "information" (if it can be called that) you provided to recommend against AMD is completely anecdotal, current AMD processors are running on COMPLETELY different microarchitectures to the ones of years prior so the statement is irrelevant anyway, if it wasn't already. The processors AMD had out just before Zen weren't exactly the best, yes, but as stated that's completely irrelevant to the processors they are putting out now.
Anybody saying AMD sucks nowadays is braindead and has been out of the game for years.

#43:  Re: Winnie's new computer Author: Nancy Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:24 pm

Didn't realize you were the pc building gestapo for IOW. Why are you so heated?

Sin wrote (View Post): ›
Anybody saying AMD sucks nowadays is braindead and has been out of the game for years.

Never said they suck. I prefer Intel and if I built a PC today it would be Intel.

#44:   Author: MrBlack Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:45 pm

Get yourself a Ryzen 5 5600x + 5700/5700xt and you'll be good for a few years

#45:  Re: Winnie's new computer Author: Jayd Post You have posted in this forum: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:42 am

Nancy wrote (View Post): › Didn't realize you were the pc building gestapo for IOW. Why are you so heated?

I apologize if I came off as heated, I didn't mean to. I just really don't like when people blindly fanboy for a company and then don't give any good reason as to why they're recommending against a competitor's product, specially when the competing product is clearly superior in almost every way possible.

Nancy wrote (View Post): › Never said they suck. I prefer Intel and if I built a PC today it would be Intel.

And this is along the same lines of what I'm talking about. Why do you prefer Intel? You shouldn't prefer a company, you should prefer a product. If Intel is making a better product then okay cool, recommend it and buy it. But a company should never earn your loyalty like that. Companies make good products, but they also make bad ones. To just make a blanket statement that you prefer Intel over AMD is not really serving your best interests, nor anyone else's other than Intel's.

#46:   Author: Winnie Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:09 pm

I have been thinking about this. I don't mind paying extra for a prebuilt computer. I am so out of my element a prebuilt makes more sense.

#47:   Author: Nort Post You have posted in this forum: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:59 pm

the pc built a few years ago should stll be good. have you tried reimaging it and installing from scratch?

building now $1000 isnt realistic as you cant get graphics cards at current prices. even the rx 580 from year ago is asking price of $350 to $500 on fb marketplace, only cards you can find ar the 4gb because they no longer work for mining.

#48:   Author: Winnie Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:24 pm

Don't worry north I'm waiting a little bit longer to buy it now anyway. because my right arm still doesn't work. Which means I can't game anyway. I might as well same more for better ore built options

#49:  Re: Winnie's new computer Author: Nancy Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:26 pm

Winnie finally got a new computer! I'm getting hammered tonight to celebrate.

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400F Comet Lake 2.9GHz (4.3GHz Turbo) 6-Core 12-Thread
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB
Motherboard: ASUS Prime B560M-A
RAM: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz (2x8GB)
SSD: 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD
CPU Cooler: RGB CPU Cooler
PSU: 650W 80 Plus Gold (Brand May Vary)
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50

#50:  Re: Winnie's new computer Author: Nancy Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:26 pm

Sorry double post. Forum gave me some weird smtp error.

#51:  Re: Winnie's new computer Author: Jayd Post You have posted in this forum: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:32 am

Nancy wrote (View Post): › Winnie finally got a new computer! I'm getting hammered tonight to celebrate.

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400F Comet Lake 2.9GHz (4.3GHz Turbo) 6-Core 12-Thread
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB
Motherboard: ASUS Prime B560M-A
RAM: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz (2x8GB)
SSD: 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD
CPU Cooler: RGB CPU Cooler
PSU: 650W 80 Plus Gold (Brand May Vary)
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50

Holy shit, nice! Congrats, Winnie!

#52:   Author: Winnie Post You have posted in this forum: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:29 am

Thanks guys I also bought 2 new monitors. I don't know when everything is going to get here but still

#53:   Author: Winnie Post You have posted in this forum: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:47 pm

Update guys I bought the computer. It never showed up. I filed a claim was denied I'm out 1500 cause someone probably stole it. So no computer for another year at least

#54:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:17 pm

Huh? Where did you buy it from? Do they claim that it was shipped? Maybe your CC company can get involved.

#55:   Author: Winnie Post You have posted in this forum: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:09 pm

its from newegg im trying to figure it out

#56:   Author: Jayd Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:57 pm

Winnie wrote (View Post): › Update guys I bought the computer. It never showed up. I filed a claim was denied I'm out 1500 cause someone probably stole it. So no computer for another year at least

WTFFFFFFFFFFF???

Text me if you're not getting anywhere with Newegg and need help. I can call them on your behalf and figure this shit out.

#57:   Author: Winnie Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:14 pm

Thanks jayd

#58:  Re: Winnie's new computer Author: gatorhead Post You have posted in this forum: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:47 pm

Winnie, any update?

#59:  Re: Winnie's new computer Author: gatorhead Post You have posted in this forum: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:48 pm

Any update?

#60:  Re: Winnie's new computer Author: ontheqt Post You have posted in this forum: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:30 pm

FYI - if you put the purchase on a credit card, you can challenge the payment via your credit card company for lack of product delivery. Very simple.

#61:   Author: Winnie Post You have posted in this forum: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:16 pm

I used my regular card qt. I didn't have a high enough limit for a credit card

#62:   Author: Sin Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:53 pm

Winnie, do you have the tracking # for the package? If you have the tracker you can call whoever was supposed to deliver it. If someone truly stole it then you'll get your money back either through your bank or the package handlers.

If you're anxious or whatever about following through with some of this take Jayd up on his offer. $1500 is a lot of money.

#63:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:07 am

Wonder if it was looted from a train in LA lol

#64:   Author: Sir Sux-A-Lot Post You have posted in this forum: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:17 am

man that's awful, I hope you will get some good news quickly Winnie.

I saw the looted train footage, that's sad.
Instruments of WarGeneral ChatWinnie's new computer

Generated using printer-friendly.