Instruments of War :: Official site for the Enemy Territory clan Instruments of War

Instruments of War<IoW> silEnT ServerServer Trouble Goto page 1, 2  Next  :| |:

#1: Note Server Trouble Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:34 am

Those of you who tried to play Friday were greeted with a lot of lag and loss of shrubbot commands (e.g. levels). I'm working to restore that now, and I haven't heard from our host what they think the cause is. It appears the silent database directory is corrupted, all shrubbot levels assigned to your silent GUIDs have been lost. I'll see if we can get this restored from a backup, otherwise we'll just need to reassign everyone. I can try and do that as well.

#2:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:36 am

According to the host, the cause was a bad disk and the disk has or is being replaced.

#3:  ET Server Author: ontheqt Post You have posted in this forum: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:16 pm

Any estimate on when the ET server will be fully restored? I went on today and checked, but server still doesn't have any of the original configuration.

Thanks.

#4:   Author: Sir Sux-A-Lot Post You have posted in this forum: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:56 am

QT I merged your topic with the already existing one to keep the discussion in one place.

#5:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:24 am

Unfortunately, the entire database has been corrupted and lost. Everyone will have to be re-added by the game system when connecting, and all shrubbot level assignments will need to be re-made. I will connect shortly and do this for myself via RCON, and will certainly be on tonight to set everyone's levels as I see you. At least anyone who is playing tonight will be set to their proper levels.

I'm not sure what this means regarding all the KR and PR related stats - those might be reset as well.

#6:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:50 am

Okay, new database seems to be working - carrying over XP and maintaining shrubbot (admin) levels from map to map, even after a server restart. But all users will be considered 'new', so everyone will need to be reset by an admin. I will be around tonight, so no worries there.

#7:   Author: HalfBak3d Post You have posted in this forum: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:25 pm

How does one bad drive corrupt a data base? Are we being hosted on a home PC without any raid? Smile No backups? No storage based snapshots?

#8:   Author: Sin Post You have posted in this forum: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:14 pm

Yeah, I think our provider is total amateur hour. We didn't hear shit or have anything looked at until the next monday. It's probably a small operation since if you go to the guys website, his business email is a hotmail address and if you want more details to message him on MSN messenger

#9:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:21 am

why are you hating on our host? I've never had any problems getting a hold of him, any problems we've had in 15 years have been few and far between, and I think we get a lot of value for the price that we pay. Servers crash. Disks fail.

Its not that a "proper" database was corrupted -- it is the game's database that was corrupted, which is just a file called 'userdb.db' and 'userxdb.db'. These files were possibly open or actively being written to when the problem happened. Either way, they were hosed and corrupted and unable to load any information.

#10:   Author: Sin Post You have posted in this forum: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:11 am

After bakeds comment I thought we were all getting our pitchforks out

#11:   Author: HalfBak3d Post You have posted in this forum: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:03 pm

lol I'm sorry..

Well a storage based snapshot is crash consistent and not application consistent.. It can be dicey recovering a DB from a crash consistent backup. But if it's just a file and not an actual DB, the it should have been an easy recovery without any data loss.

#12:  Re: Server Trouble Author: ontheqt Post You have posted in this forum: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:50 pm

Is there any plan to get the server joining sounds back up and running?

#13:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:05 am

I'll see what I can do

#14:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Wed May 06, 2020 6:52 pm

This problem happened again.....waiting for reply from the host, but new database file had to be created again. Everyone will have 0 level and 0 xp. I've tested it out, xp save is working but all levels will need to be reassigned.

I'll start doing weekly backups of the database from now on, sorry for the inconvenience.

#15:  Re: Server Trouble Author: ontheqt Post You have posted in this forum: Wed May 06, 2020 8:05 pm

Appreciate your hard work Beck. Thanks!
Instruments of War<IoW> silEnT ServerServer Trouble Goto page 1, 2  Next  :| |:

Generated using printer-friendly.