Instruments of War :: Official site for the Enemy Territory clan Instruments of War

Instruments of WarGeneral ChatHelp building a NAS

#1:  Help building a NAS Author: Venom Post You have posted in this forum: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:24 pm

Title:

Want a dedicated plex box transcoding 4kuhd as well as keeping 24/7 video recording from security cameras.

Any info will help, gonna look on google.

Currently running plex off my pc from wd 4tb external drive

#2:   Author: Sin Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:48 am

Last I checked Plex doesn't have tone mapping for HDR to SDR. It would look like total shit and completely washed out color wise. Plex uses ffmpeg to transcode and there just isn't a method to do it.

That means you'll want something that can direct play or direct stream like an nvidia shield. I think a NAS isn't really needed for plex so you could save some money and just build an htpc and buy the shield as the client unless your TV has the plex app that has direct play.

#3:   Author: Venom Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:21 am

I didnt mean transcoding I guess. My tv has direct play plex app. 4k works really good with asus ac1900. I just need like 10TB and enough room to upgrade to 50TB. Also going to be using it as a nas nvr

#4:  Re: Help building a NAS Author: Sir Sux-A-Lot Post You have posted in this forum: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:28 pm

I have a Synology and I would recomment it except maybe for the video surveillance part since they make you pay a fee per camera connected I think.

I don't really get the benefits of Plex vs a dlna/media server with Kodi clients if someone cares to explain.

#5:   Author: HalfBak3d Post You have posted in this forum: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:41 pm

Buy a Netapp E-series. Problem solved.

#6:   Author: Venom Post You have posted in this forum: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:51 pm

HalfBak3d wrote (View Post): › Buy a Netapp E-series. Problem solved.

Yeah I don't think I need quite that much.

#7:  Re: Help building a NAS Author: HalfBak3d Post You have posted in this forum: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:53 pm

That's the solution I went with at work. It's a beast

#8:  Re: Help building a NAS Author: Venom Post You have posted in this forum: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:53 pm

Sir Sux-A-Lot wrote (View Post): › I have a Synology and I would recomment it except maybe for the video surveillance part since they make you pay a fee per camera connected I think.

Ive been looking at the synology but I did read something about them charging you a fee for YOUR camera hooked up to YOUR synology on YOUR network....kinda bullshit.

#9:  Re: Help building a NAS Author: Sin Post You have posted in this forum: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:56 pm

Sir Sux-A-Lot wrote (View Post): › I don't really get the benefits of Plex vs a dlna/media server with Kodi clients if someone cares to explain.
With plex you can play the files locally and remotely on basically anything and also share your library with anyone to stream it off your PC or server. It saves where you stopped watching something and remembers what season and which episode you finished and auto downloads the posters and covers for each movie and show you have. Another big reason it's awesome is basically what venom is asking for, minus the 4kudh part...it automatically transcodes your files to play on whatever device you're playing on. Many TVs can't play a lot of different popular formats and plex fixes that. Audio file is DTS and your TV only supports AAC? Plex transcodes it on the fly. It's just really handy once you get it setup. Plex isn't neccessary, just makes everything convenient.

#10:  Re: Help building a NAS Author: Sir Sux-A-Lot Post You have posted in this forum: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:55 am

Venom wrote (View Post): ›
Ive been looking at the synology but I did read something about them charging you a fee for YOUR camera hooked up to YOUR synology on YOUR network....kinda bullshit.

I agree it's BS

Sin wrote (View Post): ›
With plex you can play the files locally and remotely on basically anything and also share your library with anyone to stream it off your PC or server. It saves where you stopped watching something and remembers what season and which episode you finished and auto downloads the posters and covers for each movie and show you have. Another big reason it's awesome is basically what venom is asking for, minus the 4kudh part...it automatically transcodes your files to play on whatever device you're playing on. Many TVs can't play a lot of different popular formats and plex fixes that. Audio file is DTS and your TV only supports AAC? Plex transcodes it on the fly. It's just really handy once you get it setup. Plex isn't neccessary, just makes everything convenient.

Thanks. I knew about the transcoding functionality and the other bells and whistles seem nice.

Do you have this along something like sickbeard/sickrage/sonarr?

#11:  Re: Help building a NAS Author: Sin Post You have posted in this forum: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:05 pm

Sir Sux-A-Lot wrote (View Post): › Do you have this along something like sickbeard/sickrage/sonarr?
Yup. those are apps for tracking and downloading television shows and episodes and movies for you automatically. They have a lot of customization options. For instance in Sonarr, you can set it to grab whatever episode quality is available first(webdl, hdtv, etc), and then when a bluray rip of the episode is available it'll automatically upgrade to that.

#12:   Author: Sir Sux-A-Lot Post You have posted in this forum: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:02 am

Yes, I'm familiar with these apps. I used to have sickbeard and couchpotato running on my previous NAS but I mostly stream now and I rarely rewatch stuff (with a few exceptions of course)

I only run Mylar for comics these days.

Sorry for derailing the thread Smile

#13:  Re: Help building a NAS Author: Guest Post You have posted in this forum: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:47 am

Oh, I see. So now Mr "storage device" has something to say?

You know who you are butt hole!

Very Happy
Instruments of WarGeneral ChatHelp building a NAS

Generated using printer-friendly.