Instruments of War :: Official site for the Enemy Territory clan Instruments of War

Instruments of WarET-Pub ServersI want my old IoW server back
Poll :: Should we go back to our old pub version?

Hell yes we should
44%
 44%  [ 15 ]
No,I actually like this gay ass mod
55%
 55%  [ 19 ]
Voted : 2
Total Votes : 34

#1:  I want my old IoW server back Author: StEVoNuB420 Post You have posted in this forum: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:28 pm

I played on our server for the first time since the upgrade,and I must confess,IT FUCKING SUCKS!!!!!!!

I do appreciate the work u put into it to change it Beck,but:

The hitboxes are worse than they were before.Before it used to be just crouch hax,now when the cursor is on the target the bullets still go thru them.

Whats up with the prw crap? Wheres the good ol xp? Yeah I know it shouldnt matter what the xp is and blah blah blah.But the reason I dont play on HH servers is cuz they have this prw stuff.

This made my ET experience even worse tonight.I played with the expectations of enjoying the new mod,I was sadly dissapointed,and then it led to agravation,which eventually led to frustration. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

10 thumbs way down!!!

P.S. Not to mention we are at 0 players now on the server. ON A FRIDAY FUCKIN NIGHT!!!!!!!! COuld this new mod be the prob?

#2:   Author: epIc Post You have posted in this forum: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:35 pm

I don't play pub, so doesn't bother me much. We had the upgraded pub on the private server, it's still on there, but I didn't see much a difference. Just more video spam, text and graphics. It's odd that the pub server is empty right now, it's the weekend!

#3:   Author: Alkaline Post You have posted in this forum: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:44 pm

I was there with stevo. For myself I cant make a judgement on the mod cuase of my shitty computer. However, tell me if this makes sense. I play this afternoon against some noobs and i got owned. Got so mad I up and left. ALmost broke my laptop. Then I play tonight against some great pubbers and had positive kill ratios every map. I was owning stevo and whor...(ftw!!!) lol they both got mad and left...woot Very Happy But seriously is there any way to get a running vote on the server to see who likes it and who doesnt. Or at least put a message telling people to come to our website and vote and/or comment about the new upgrade. If I had to vote I would say keep it for now. At least for a few more days maybe a week before making a decision. As for the low attendance, I think it has been like this for last three fridays. Im gonna have to start making my fiance play if attendance stays like this Shocked . Yeah right she thinks this game was created by the devil. Well just my two cents.

#4:   Author: mayol Post You have posted in this forum: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:26 pm

Well I haven't played in a while so I could not really tell if I was uncomfortable because of the new mod or because I am simply not in the et condition. I would think I'm simply out of practice.

#5:   Author: RichieRich Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:59 am

As long as theres not an ass load of tweaked settings (PPl move super fucking fast, it takes 70 shots to kill some one,ect) I like the game very default (except my customized stuff, config,ect) Ill come and try to give you guys some traffic tomorrow its been while since ive played ETpub

#6:   Author: MrBlack Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:37 am

i feel the same as stevo, cant hit shit now my acc has gone way down and plan9's crouch hax has improved i given you my ten thumbs as well. oh and my headshots i was getting a steady 70-100 most maps now lucky if i get 30 Crying or Very sad

#7:   Author: Fuzzy Burrito Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:53 am

Shot 23% and went 8-25. That shit never happened before.

#8:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:59 am

No settings changes.

No indication from the eptub guys that they did ANYHING to the hitboxes.

No way that our numbers being down has anything to do with this. It's been shitty for two weeks.

But, I don't give a shit, you want it back, I'll put it back. I'm not going to fight for it. You just gotta remember -- you can't fricken make everyone happy. You keep the current settings, you get people bitching and moaning about hitboxes there and crouch hax and lag and all that shit, so we try and do something about that and then other people complain.

#9:   Author: Plan9 Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:59 am

widowmaker wrote: › i feel the same as stevo, cant hit shit now my acc has gone way down and plan9's crouch hax has improved i given you my ten thumbs as well. oh and my headshots i was getting a steady 70-100 most maps now lucky if i get 30 Crying or Very sad

The crouch is no good if you can't hit anything..... Mad I have the same problem; dropped 10% acc.

#10:   Author: StEVoNuB420 Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:25 am

Beck didnt want to make u upset.I can feel that ur getting mad cuz ur prolly thinking u did all the upgrade for nothing.Thing is we tried to upgrade to see if the hitboxes problem would fix,it didnt. So far theres alot of us members that were used to the old hitboxes/mod that have noticed not only our acc go down but that he hitboxes are more gimped than ever.

Which is y I started this poll.To see if it was just my suckage or if other peeps had problems.

#11:   Author: MrBlack Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:35 am

@beck not your fault most of us cried for an upgrade its just one of those things

Last edited by MrBlack on Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total

#12:  Re: I want my old IoW server back Author: Volta Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:40 am

StEVoNuB420 wrote: › Whats up with the prw crap? Wheres the good ol xp? Yeah I know it shouldnt matter what the xp is and blah blah blah.But the reason I dont play on HH servers is cuz they have this prw stuff.

double tap TAB...it changes

I like the upgrade...but I played rnade the whole time, so I wouldnt know anything about hit boxes

x.

#13:   Author: StEVoNuB420 Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:47 am

In all honesty u can leave it or change it back.I dont play as much anymore,i think im coming to the end of my ET life.

#14:   Author: Apparition Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:12 am

I like the upgrade. I don't know what its changed for me, if anything. OR if playing on etpro most of the time has helped my pub play for once.. but I like it. Even with the higher m_pitch, i'm making high accuracy percentages with smg's, sten, and even k43 w/o rnade. I love it. I may or may not play on the pub more because of it. Although, 90% of the time I will be sticking to the etpro servers I like. Either way, I have no complaints regarding the upgrade. Good work.

If any core pubber chooses to leave because of this, maybe you're just too used to the old settings or set in your ways.. I don't know if the upgrade has changed anything but think of it as a challenge to get better. I'm not the best player but, I haven't noticed any problems making headshots, adjust your tactics and aim.
It would be a shame to lose valuable clan members over something as trivial as a server upgrade.. get real. Want a real challenge? Switch to etpro.

[End Transmission]

#15:   Author: StEVoNuB420 Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:40 am

Did the Pro/TWL thing..dont like it. And FYI im not leaving cuz of the new upgrade,if I do decide to leave its because the game doesnt interest me as much anymore and I dont have fun playing it anymore.

#16:   Author: MrBlack Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:51 am

maybe just taking some time out like nervous may help you stevo, you dont realy want to leave(i hope). your a kick ass player/admin

@ Apparition
nobody said they would leave through this we would just learn to adapt to the new mod Wink

#17:   Author: cheezeduck Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:28 pm

i tried pub, no offense...fukin hate it now

#18:   Author: Volta Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:50 pm

i don't know...seems to me you are all looking for "excuses" to hate the upgrade. I have not heard a REAL reason why you guys really "hate" it. As far as hit-boxes, feels the same to me. Some of you have posted that it sucks because you don't get your usual ratios, acc percentage, hs count, etc. Well I tested it, some maps i sucked, some maps I got average, some maps I did better. doesn't seem to me the upgrade is to blame for my sucky maps.

In my opinion, it's the same exact thing we had before...except now we get to see teammates names with colors, which is cooler.

FYI, double tapping TAB changes the stat table!!!! you can still see the usual "name", "XP", "ping" setting...just cycle through.

QW is coming out soon anyways...so whatevs

x.

#19:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:04 pm

I'm not pissed Stev0, just irritated. Everything I've ever tried to do has been a disaster here. The custom server that I begged for: Disaster. Trying to get different hitboxes: Disaster. Now updating to newest version of etpub: Disaster. I'm probably going to revert to the old version because I don't want this to be a catalyst for people to leave our server or clan. I played one night and for me, I thought kills were easier. I mean everyone goes through slumps and good days - all of this on a single server version - I agree with Mars that perhaps the upgrade is a scapegoat. But I'll acknowledge that due to the sheer number of complaints, something MUST be different.

And to the "play etpro" comments, no offense dudes, but I really don't appreciate ET-Pro snobbery. We pubbers have to put up with that condescending attitude around here enough.

#20:   Author: Hobbs_Duke Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:25 pm

I found that it was pretty decent I just found out my aim is real bad (no suprise there) I do tyhink there might be a but maybe cuz I shot MVP point blank and my rounds whent through him could be a bug but I've seen it before on other servers so I really can't say it's that bad. I kinda likee it I die more but my radar seems to have gotten better Smile so here's my quip. good job beck

#21:   Author: PistolPete Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:31 pm

jesus why does everyone hate change, i admit some things i have find annoying, like having names on mines, but beyond that everything seems almost exactly the same, if i play at late nite, i still cant hit them 200 pingers like fuckin roman which still pisses me off, but beyond it feels the same, and IF it is harder to get a hs, look at the bright side, it'll improve ur aim

everyone wants to acheive perfection, but no one wants the change

#22:   Author: StEVoNuB420 Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:36 pm

DOnt change it right awat Beck leave it for about another week or so,ill give it a chance. See if server gets more populated and see what the general response is gonna be. AS I said noone said they are gonna leave it was just a thought,and once again it had nothing to do with the upgrade.

#23:   Author: mayol Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:12 pm

Nein! (I'm just in a spamming mood)

#24:   Author: Fuzzy Burrito Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:35 pm

Second time playing with the new pub. Not any better - still posting 1:3 ratios or worse. Scapegoat, not quite. Both times after playing on 0.7.2 Pub, I hit up SNL, and I played better on SNL. Better being defined as higher accuracy and atleast a 1:2 or 1:1 ratio - nothing out of the ordinary for me on SNL. Doesn't make the least bit of sense.

#25:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:56 pm

On a side note - all the servers are dead tonight. The entire list of servers shows NO ONE playing anywhere, except for a bunch of shitty bots. So it's just one of those nights I guess.

#26:   Author: gchip Post You have posted in this forum: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:28 am

the new mod is cool.

#27:   Author: Plan9 Post You have posted in this forum: Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:37 am

I think I figured it out... It seems to me ping has a lot more to say (or maybe I'm just imagining things), and at the same time the hitboxes have changed slightly.

I just nearly broke my laptop after emptying a full thompson clip and 16 akimbo rounds straight into the chest of a high-ping player ... not a single hitsound (and he wasnt even crouching) Evil or Very Mad

Serenity now.. serenity now ...

-P9

#28:   Author: razi Post You have posted in this forum: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:56 pm

new version of etpub seems fine by me so far...no change in fps which is a good thing as this is one of the few pub servers where i get good fps on. i shot today against some good players around 43% which is about the same as old server. to me the hitboxes seem fine for pub...

#29:   Author: Plan9 Post You have posted in this forum: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:58 pm

43 % as a mortar?

#30:   Author: razi Post You have posted in this forum: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:12 pm

lol plan9 that 43% was smg acc. mortar accuracy seems to be unchanged as well but that varies upon the map Smile i've definitely gotten over 50% with mortar before. btw i dunno if etpubclient was being used before but am glad to see it now.

#31:   Author: Nilla Post You have posted in this forum: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:36 pm

Honestly, the new one is worse....SORT OF. It took me a good hour to figure out the difference. Here is my checklist:

Hitboxes: Same shitty pub boxes as ever. THOUGH it appears the prone boxes may be slightly less retarded. prior versions of pub put the head hitbox behind the body....despite what TJW's snapshots show. (anyone remember SHRUB prone hitboxes?) Overall....NO CHANGE.

Static Ping: Same. Not any excess functionally pulled in by this mod that cause connection issues.....statically.

Overall connection: This is the tricky part. Why do people with 25-30 pings get connectous interruptous? I think it boils down to my general problem with pub(explained later). After unleashing my framerate, I found my fps was about 15-20 frames slower than the prior server setup. (looking at the same wall on goldrush). This leads me to believe there are extra processes running serverside enducing lag and even clientside affecting framerate.

Conclusion.....the mod designers are getting out of control. What added functionality is in this version or the last upteen versions of pub? Frankly, they need to strip down pub and make it lighterweight and maybe then the parady that everyone complains about in general gameplay will go away.

If it is up to me to vote, I say leave it with the new version. Mr. Beck spent many an hour upgrading in hopes that it would fix some of the things that everyone has been complaining about. It took me a couple of maps to get used to the new version, but it really isn't that much different than the last version. Beck, thanks for the work you put into this. It definitely is not better than the last version....but it definitely is not worse either. In the end it is still pub....and it still blows.

Ice

#32:   Author: cheezeduck Post You have posted in this forum: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:40 pm

time for me to give my reasons i guess...

1. hitboxes are messed
2. ping has drastically changed for me
3. tab menu is too confusing
4. i lag wen too many ppl are on
5. server more unpopulated now than b4
6. the movements feel awkward...more jumpy than smooth
7. i personally like the crouch glitch...so ya, just a personal liking thr
8. i get 999'd on the server frequently and am forced to leave

I'm sorry, but the server is just a bitch to play on now and i don't find it fun...honestly, how sad is it if our other 2 servers r more active than pub and the other 2 servers only have 5 ppl on them! our server was usually empty and now since the upgrade i find it to be even more barren.

- A little off topic now but i have noticed that lots of pubbers have been complaining lately about mods, hitboxes, clan members, hax, abuse or w/e and it is appearing to b a cause of desertion on the server.

I hate to b the bearer of bad news and ur all probably gonna hate me for this but our pub server has become a sh*t-hole. I love the clan, i love the members...we r ALL respectable ppl that obey rules but goddamnit ppl, us being nice isn't gonna keep ppl playin if our server is disliked. we have seriously all got to get on teamspeak soon...AND I MEAN ALL OF US and talk about how the server can b fixed for the better so that it is always packed like it used to b. we need to talk, collect, organize and execute. I'm sorry if i am makin u guys angry or if u think i'm just a newb but think about it, i no u all think the same thing about our server and it's time something is actually done about it rather than just random mod changes.

I propose that we ALL or MOST OF US get on team speak with nort and have an organized discussion on wat to do. we talk about popular mods, skins, weapons, hitboxes, versions, EVERYTHING and come up with a solution to the problem.

#33:   Author: StEVoNuB420 Post You have posted in this forum: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:44 pm

Actually server was full all day long today until late afternoonish. I really dont think the problem about our server being vacant because of members,server mods or any other reason.It usually always gets low around this time of year.School and exams being the number one cause. It can be full when it comes down to it. Those are some harsh words there Cheese,shithole? Well i dont think thats the case.I think we're doing a good job for a game thats been out for 4-6 years(correct me if im wrong) The only thing saving all servers is the fact that the game is free. As for changing mods or skins,thats a big negative. The server was full before using the regualr mod,no need for that fancy crap. Not to mention I find that all those servers with mods and skins have even shitier hitboxes.Just like No Quarter,now thats a shithole mod.

Point is we as well as all the other servers around are in a slump.Im sure if u actually browse the forums around the same time last year u will find at least 3-4 topics saying that the server has been vacant and blah blah blah.

Although I still would like to change the map rotation so that Radar and Railgun arent back to back.

#34:   Author: cheezeduck Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:09 am

i nvr said we had to change nething...i was merely listing out topics which may be discussed. our previous version was the best ever...i never meant mod i meant version lol srry. and i do agree, we must fix the maps putting railgun and radar together is a nono in the et world. and wen i said shithole donh't misenterpret it, we are doing an awesome job, wat i meant by shithole was that people are hardly on and wen they are on it's for a short time. not to mentiopn lots of ppl hack and complain on ourt server now. the server config itself wasn't directed by the shithole comment. however i still think we need to talk about the popular versions, weapons, restrictions, server slots, skins, and other such things.

hope that cleared up some of my "misinterpreted" lines from earlier.

#35:   Author: gchip Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:20 am

i would like to give props to beck for the upgrade. no matter how much ppl dont like it, i like it beck Very Happy

#36:   Author: Alkaline Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:46 am

Quote: › 1. hitboxes are messed
2. ping has drastically changed for me
3. tab menu is too confusing
4. i lag wen too many ppl are on
5. server more unpopulated now than b4
6. the movements feel awkward...more jumpy than smooth
7. i personally like the crouch glitch...so ya, just a personal liking thr
8. i get 999'd on the server frequently and am forced to leave

1. hitboxes are pretty similar
2. dude, Your ping has always been inconsistent everytime I see you play. I have seen you go ping 999 many times on old config
3. you have to be retarted if you cant figure out how to use tab
4. You always lag. Shocked
5. We already know why its unpopulated, its not the new upgrage
6. Have to agree with you here, they are a bit different but doesnt take long to get use to.
7. lmao, you like a glitch
8. getting a better connection, its not the server

#37:   Author: MrBlack Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:21 am

Im getting used to it now, even give Nilla a run for his money on sunday, so i say let it stay

but agree with cheesedick when server full its a bitch to play maybe need some tweeks server side?

#38:   Author: Plan9 Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:04 am

Anybody else notice that you sometimes bump into things that aren't there?

I mean.. youre jumping along and even if there is nothing in your way, you stop moving as if youve hit a wall in mid-air?

Had it happen to me a few times now Confused

-P9

#39:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:25 am

OK, haven't chimed in on this thread in a few pages.

@CHEESE
Come on man, shithole? I know you tried to explain what you meant, but honestly dude...
Tweaking any settings such as weapons and skins IS just gonna drive people away.

Lets get something straight here. The only thing that changed was the server dll - to version 0.7.2. The config file is exactly as it was, short of a new message advertising the mod and I fixed the MOTD a bit. So hitboxes and all that shit, the same as before.

I'll see what I can do about the railgun/radar problem.

This is not to say that they didn't tweak or perhaps break the hitboxes in their implementation for the new version. I'm a coder, I know that you can break things you never intended to do by modifying code that is unrelated to hitboxes. Perhaps that's the case.

In all honesty, I've spent a grand total of about an hour on the new version since last week. The only other night I've tried to play it was dead. AND EVERY SERVER WAS DEAD! So no - the new version is not the cause of slowness - we were complaining about that a week before we did this. That is not to say that if our new version becomes hated that that won't be a factor in the future, but for now, no.

@NILLA & CHIP
Thanks for the support, it's nice to get some recognition during this shit tossing fest. But really, it'll take me a few minutes to restore the old version if we decide to do so. And Nilla, your comment about extra server side logic clogging up the works may not be unfounded. They added a bunch of shit for 'active team balance'. Though I didn't tweak this stuff in the configs, it is enabled by default. Perhaps some of these settings can be turned off to increase performance. We could go back to the old player rating settings for instance.

Code: ›
g_ATB [0|1|2]
g_ATB_diff [integer]
g_ATB controls the type of active team balancing you want to use. Active team balancing will automatically move one of the top three player(s) from the team more likely to win, to the team more likely to lose. There are currently two versions. One uses XP, the other playerrating. Set g_ATB to choose between them. Note that g_ATB only decides WHEN to move a player, and NOT which player to move. See g_ATB_rating to see how ATB chooses which player to move.

EDIT:
OK, here is the graph of activity on our server for the last 30 days:

So you can see a steady decline.

Now, here is the last week:

So you can see our average player base has dropped comparing the last 30 days to this last week. Question is, the upgrade to blame, or just a sign of the trend over the last 30 days? I don't know. All I know is, I played two maps in spec Saturday night with no one, so I went to the server list and found every single other server completely dead too (except for like 1 other big server that was like 64/64, and no way do I like that shit).

Stevo is right - we complain about this all the time this time of year, and we always try and blame it on something. Shit, I think last year we blamed it on the fact that we brought railgun back. So there is always a scapegoat for this. I'm not being stubborn, if we feel that our numbers are hurtting, I'll gladly switch back to the old version. I guess we just need to watch the numbers and see the trends with other servers as well.

EDIT2:
For comparision sake, I dug up an old graph:

This would be a month earlier, but even a year ago our average base was only 7, so I'm not that worried right now.

Members can read this: http://www.iowclan.net/php/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=453

#40:   Author: Volta Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:20 am

BECK wrote: › we complain about this all the time this time of year, and we always try and blame it on something. Shit, I think last year we blamed it on the fact that we brought railgun back. So there is always a scapegoat for this. I'm not being stubborn, if we feel that our numbers are hurtting, I'll gladly switch back to the old version. I guess we just need to watch the numbers and see the trends with other servers as well.

Yeah, like two years ago we thought it was happening cause I started playing on the server and everyone just left cause I was so good? Shocked

x.

i don't want to study anymore Crying or Very sad

#41:   Author: MrBlack Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:39 am

Good lol! nah everyone thought you were a haxing mofo and left Twisted Evil

#42:   Author: Nort Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:06 pm

the mod does have more background processes. no it does not take "hours" to switch them.
That said. I will take a look into the changes tonight and look over the server.cfg file to see if i need to add/remove anything or adjust any settings that will make the experience better. I am waiting to get a vid card yet, just handed over $1000 to the woman this month to go wedding dress shopping. I am hoping to be back in june or july.

#43:   Author: StEVoNuB420 Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:36 pm

I was playing on QAW server and they also have upgraded to 0.7.2 but the feel and look of it was how our server used to look,before the upgrade that is.I guess it was the letters how they were displayed or something.Maybe Quizzle can clarify things on that he was there with me as well as Lil.

#44:   Author: cheezeduck Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:27 pm

@beck

dude, i think ur da bomb, u put so much time and effort into the clan and always make things work, i always agree with you and you put more in than u get out. i appreciate everything u do...but this is the first time since i have been in this clan that i have to go against everyone and say that i don't like the change. keep it if you like i will still play it but since the change my connection has been real screwy. u did an awesome job but ya...i'm against this. sorry if i upset u beck and/or any1 else, i apologize if i am being rude and watnot but i will not cut slack on this topic. most of you should no by now i am a pretty passive person that only makes nice comments so i hope u understand that if i am upset about this, that i really am ticked. again i apologize.

#45:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:32 pm

You're entitled to your opinion just like everyone else. Question is now, how many people are gonna get pissed off if we revert back to the old version? Nort said he's gonna try tweaking the configs tonight, so perhaps that will help?

Stev0 - not sure I get what you mean. I know the new etpub client has settings for fonts, is that what you mean?

#46:   Author: cheezeduck Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:37 pm

wow wow wow...don't go changin stuff, who cares if i am not happy with the settings, it is only the majority of the players that need to b happy. we just need to talk i think, i don't want u guys to do something drastic like changing settings just cause i'm upset. I'd rather end up having ping 999 all the time and b forced never to play thr than have u guys lose w/e players u still have coming on thr. i'm not important, and i don't need to b treated like i am, my opinion means nothing i just care that everyone else is happy and from the poll...they are so lets just leave it at that, i don't wanna screw this up.

#47:   Author: StEVoNuB420 Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:20 pm

Yeah I think thats what it was. Makes the letters look different. I know it wont make a difference but at least it would make the server feel like home if the letters where to be changed to the way they were. Two Cents

#48:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:29 pm

StEVoNuB420 wrote: › Yeah I think thats what it was. Makes the letters look different. I know it wont make a difference but at least it would make the server feel like home if the letters where to be changed to the way they were. Two Cents

LOL - honestly, I don't know of any settings that effected the "default" font, but maybe there is. I've really only played the new mod for a little bit of time, and didn't really notice a difference, but I'm really gonna try and play tonight (come on people, fill up for me Very Happy ).

@CHEESE
Your opinion does matter. You're not the only one who is complaining about the server, so relax man Cool. We'll see how shit goes, and if we decide to revert, it won't be just because of you.

#49:   Author: Quizzle Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:53 pm

I like the new mod.

#50:   Author: AnABoLiS Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:57 pm

Am i the only one who thinks at headshot boxes are like 10x bigger than normaly, or am i just so good?

#51:   Author: Quizzle Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:59 pm

I guess since I use rnade and k43 headshots arent that easy; I haven't noticed. BUT I have noticed I die a lot easier now if that means anything.

BTW Nort or Beck does this newer version of PUB decrease the amount of damage that RNade did in the previous version?

#52:   Author: PistolPete Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:19 pm

first thing first, lol at cheeseduck when u sed the server is a shithole, funny part is that it came from you

that being said, i give props to beck for what hes done, i was an advocate of wanting to upgrade it just to see whats up with it, i personally dont think its that diff, i was actually shootin hella good yesterday, one of my highest consistent accs to date, and there was some moments of bullshit but their always be bullshit on both sides, HEAR THAT ICE?! everyone gets bs'ed by the game SmileSmile

#53:   Author: cheezeduck Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:29 pm

hey pete u can fuck off ok, i explained myself and apologized and u have no rite to disrespect me like that.

#54:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:11 pm

Quizzle wrote: › I guess since I use rnade and k43 headshots arent that easy; I haven't noticed. BUT I have noticed I die a lot easier now if that means anything.

BTW Nort or Beck does this newer version of PUB decrease the amount of damage that RNade did in the previous version?

No changes to configs, maybe you were hitting guys with flak?

#55:   Author: Quizzle Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:59 pm

BECK wrote: ›
Quizzle wrote: › I guess since I use rnade and k43 headshots arent that easy; I haven't noticed. BUT I have noticed I die a lot easier now if that means anything.

No changes to configs, maybe you were hitting guys with flak?

Thats what people keep trying to tell me. But thats only for engies and I'm hitting a variety of classes. Hmmmm, just bad luck lately I guess.

#56:   Author: HalfBaked Post You have posted in this forum: Tue May 01, 2007 12:23 am

I have not noticed a change in my acc, headshot ratio, or K/D ratio. It plays the same for me as the old version.

If you guys have noticed a difference with your acc or ability to get head shots you might want to check your custom config settings if you use them.

I know my custom etconfig does not mesh well with NQ mod for some reason. When I play that mod I can have my cross hair right on target and not hit shit. My config is made for pro so I see the best results there. It works second best on shrub/pub then a little worse on jaymod and shit on NQ. Just a thought

#57:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Tue May 01, 2007 1:50 am

OK, I finally played a full night on the new version, and I can answer objectively. I have to say, it feels pretty much the same for me - but I played pretty well tonight, my accuracy locked in the mid to upper 30's which is really good for me. That's not to say that my vote is loaded, if more people think the version sucks and we see a decline in players, I'm still game to revert. But I gotta vote to keep it, sorry Stev0.

#58:   Author: Quizzle Post You have posted in this forum: Tue May 01, 2007 2:02 am

BECK wrote: › OK, I finally played a full night on the new version, and I can answer objectively. I have to say, it feels pretty much the same for me - but I played pretty well tonight, my accuracy locked in the mid to upper 30's which is really good for me. That's not to say that my vote is loaded, if more people think the version sucks and we see a decline in players, I'm still game to revert. But I gotta vote to keep it, sorry Stev0.

Uh Oh! I bet that vain in Stevo's forehead is about to BLOW! Ruuuuun!

#59:   Author: StEVoNuB420 Post You have posted in this forum: Tue May 01, 2007 8:00 am

Im cool with whateva now.Im getting usedt ot it now.I was actually kicking ass these past couple of days.

#60:   Author: MrBlack Post You have posted in this forum: Tue May 01, 2007 8:10 am

Quote: › I was actually kicking ass these past couple of days.

Yeah Right when would that have been? Laughing

@Beck i like the new colour names think you should leave them imo Wink

#61:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Tue May 01, 2007 8:50 am

Yes, colored names is a cool enhancement - especially when you spot your name in blazing color across the map - much easier to spot covies in disguise!

A few other things I've noticed - maybe you have, maybe not.

I play rnade a lot. When you end a map with rnade, you are in warm-up on the next map with rnade, logically. However, when the map starts you spawed with SMG. So you had to specifically pick rnade again to ensure you spawned with it.

That bug appears to have gone away with this upgrade.

@STEVO
I still didn't notice anything out of the ordinary with fonts - can you post a screenshot?

#62:   Author: StEVoNuB420 Post You have posted in this forum: Tue May 01, 2007 9:15 am

Umm, sure but can u run down the list of commands for screenshots and where they go on the ET Folder?

@Widow
I guess cuz ur always gettting raped by me which is why u didnt notice. ET Landmine Owned

#63:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Tue May 01, 2007 9:29 am

I'm not sure about the default binding for screenshots - I've got mine binded to 'p' I think. But you can bind it with /screenshot, I think, or bring down the console and do /screenshot.

You can see where it's binded in the options menu where you set all your movement keys and all the other keyboard shit - it's by the Fireteam shit I think. I've got tweaked configs that rebind everything, so I really don't know.

But they will go in 'etpub\screenshots'.

EDIT:
Not sure if you've all noticed, but there is an 'ETPUB' option when you hit 'esc' now. You can do some cool shit with the HUD, like resize stuff and move it around by dragging and dropping items. But there is a page for Fonts in there where you can set them up however you like. Perhaps there is a 'default' or something that you need to click?

#64:   Author: MrBlack Post You have posted in this forum: Tue May 01, 2007 9:38 am

Quote: › @Widow
I guess cuz ur always gettting raped by me which is why u didnt notice.
LOL yeah right get your faggy ass on tonite i'll show you whos boss i always woundered why you had a nub on the end of your name stevonub Twisted Evil LoVe YaH really

#65:   Author: StEVoNuB420 Post You have posted in this forum: Tue May 01, 2007 10:05 am

Its on like Donky Kong ol chap. Your gonna need a bunch of bobbys to come and restrain my arse.Im gonna have u so humble when im done with you, you'll be saying "Shine ur shoes guvna?"

@Beck
Ill chek it all out today and see if I can get it to work.

#66:   Author: MrBlack Post You have posted in this forum: Tue May 01, 2007 11:04 am

LOL bring it NANCY BOY and bring a friend to help you MAYBE someone like NILLA will give you a chance of beating my gay british ass! Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing

#67:   Author: Nilla Post You have posted in this forum: Tue May 01, 2007 12:09 pm

widowmaker wrote: › LOL bring it NANCY BOY and bring a friend to help you MAYBE someone like NILLA will give you a chance of beating my gay british ass! Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing

When you look up "Nancy Boy" you see a picture of Vanilla Ice. Don't disgrace him by suggesting that he is as bad as the nillameister.

Ice

#68:   Author: KerpZ Post You have posted in this forum: Tue May 01, 2007 3:15 pm

I dont really care although i got owed on the pub. I was 4-38 . That was my worst and i was trying to get kills. I came back a while after and i got 32-11. I dont know why. Maybe its just me.

#69:   Author: Karnivore Post You have posted in this forum: Tue May 01, 2007 4:06 pm

widowmaker wrote: › LOL bring it NANCY BOY and bring a friend to help you MAYBE someone like NILLA will give you a chance of beating my gay british ass! Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing

Uhh....?

#70:   Author: Plan9 Post You have posted in this forum: Thu May 03, 2007 9:52 am

So I'm assuming that the 0.7.2 is gonna stay?

(read: praying that it's not going to)

#71:   Author: Fuzzy Burrito Post You have posted in this forum: Thu May 03, 2007 9:56 am

My view of 0.7.2 is starting to turn around as well. Shot 70 percent with an unscoped k43 yesterday (about 75 shots, I think) - hella sick.

#72:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Thu May 03, 2007 10:03 am

I think people are starting to warm up to it. I have been shooting in the mid-upper 30s all week, which is really good for me. Very Happy

#73:   Author: Plan9 Post You have posted in this forum: Thu May 03, 2007 10:51 am

Then why the hell can't I figure it out?!? My accuracy is still down 10%, my ratios in the hours that I really enjoyed playing have gone from 1,5/1:1 to 1:4-5 and I can only dream of playing when there is more than 12 people on the server...

Really.. I don't think anyone has spent more time than me on the server during the last week, so you'd think I'd be able to adapt to it by now.. but no.

My laptop has come really close to flying out the window almost on a daily basis... It's just aggravating me so much it's not even remotely fun anymore

#74:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Thu May 03, 2007 10:55 am

Plan9 wrote: › Then why the hell can't I figure it out?!? My accuracy is still down 10%, my ratios in the hours that I really enjoyed playing have gone from 1,5/1:1 to 1:4-5 and I can only dream of playing when there is more than 12 people on the server...

Really.. I don't think anyone has spent more time than me on the server during the last week, so you'd think I'd be able to adapt to it by now.. but no.

My laptop has come really close to flying out the window almost on a daily basis... It's just aggravating me so much it's not even remotely fun anymore

So are you seeing lag issues more than before? We might be able to turn off some of the ATB stuff which might increase performance on the server. I certainly don't want people to not enjoy themselves on our server. If not lag, is it just a different feel for you?

#75:   Author: Plan9 Post You have posted in this forum: Thu May 03, 2007 11:07 am

Put simply.. I just can't hit anything up close. A whole clip will fly with 4-5 bodyshots... Out of the daytime crowd I'd say I have a decent ping (avg 150-170) compared to the rest of the regulars. I just can't explain it. Confused It's actually easier for me to kill Apparition on Pro than it is on Pub (and I haven't played much Pro). All this talk & proof of the hitboxes being bigger just puzzles me even more.

Another extreme example form the past week is that I was running along in an area with absolutely noone around (2v2 on railgun and I go from the allie spawn towards the gun instead of the short route), and my fps just drops to 8... No processes running in the background, no TS, XFire or MSN running.

#76:   Author: StEVoNuB420 Post You have posted in this forum: Thu May 03, 2007 11:10 am

Hes not the first to complain about low fps.Nort,and MVp have also said something about that.

#77:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Thu May 03, 2007 11:22 am

I'll poke around on the etpub forums and see what I can find.

#78:   Author: Fuzzy Burrito Post You have posted in this forum: Thu May 03, 2007 12:22 pm

BECK wrote: › We might be able to turn off some of the ATB stuff

The ATB stuff is all related to player ratings, extra k/d calculations and whatnot, correct? I really don't see the need to keep it all around if the method of shuffling still hasn't changed.

Shuffling is currently done by 'rate of xp gained', correct? Well, if we haven't changed the method since 0.7.2 came around (assuming new methods were introduced) we really don't need this extra ATB stuff badgering the server with nonsense; lag.

#79:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Thu May 03, 2007 12:29 pm

Whoracle wrote: ›
BECK wrote: › We might be able to turn off some of the ATB stuff

The ATB stuff is all related to player ratings, extra k/d calculations and whatnot, correct? I really don't see the need to keep it all around if the method of shuffling still hasn't changed.

Shuffling is currently done by 'rate of xp gained', correct? Well, if we haven't changed the method since 0.7.2 came around (assuming new methods were introduced) we really don't need this extra ATB stuff badgering the server with nonsense; lag.

You're exactly right. I've got a post in on etpub forums for some help, no one has posted a reply yet. But I asked if what settings (they're are a half-dozen or so and they're poorly documented, IMHO) I need to change to go back to what we had and if that would perhaps lighten the load on the server a bit.

#80:   Author: Plan9 Post You have posted in this forum: Mon May 07, 2007 11:20 am

Thanks Beck! Not Worthy

Had I known of that forum I'd have done it myself. As suggested in your thread there I removed most of the pk3 files (127MB in 67 files) from my pub-dir. Gotta say It's looking promising.. No sudden mid-fight lags and no unexplainable fps loss yet.

I've only played 3v3 at the most till now.. I just hope it makes as noticeable a difference when the server fills up.

-P9

#81:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Mon May 07, 2007 1:38 pm

LOL - yeah, I just read what they posted.

All of you having issues, try to delete ALL the .pk3 files in your etpub directory - a connection to our server will give you ONLY what you need.

Apparently, this is explained here:

http://www.evilrtcw2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3638

#82:   Author: Plan9 Post You have posted in this forum: Mon May 07, 2007 1:52 pm

Been there.. Done that... Wink

Only one I left was the etpub_client-20060818.pk3
Turns out I had another 2 of those Confused Newer dates and what I recognized as clanabbreviations at the end.

Did the ETMain after I posted last. Cut another 300Mb in useless maps.

-P9

Edit: Now I see the 'All of you' in your post. LOL

#83:   Author: HalfBaked Post You have posted in this forum: Wed May 09, 2007 12:56 am

Well I never noticed a difference when you upgraded. My acc was still around 35-44 and was I getting a good head shot/kill ratio.

I deleted all the other mods(jay/nq/shrub/pub) to help my FPS problem. I downloaded the new pub client from your server and now I can see the problems everyone else had. My acc dropped to about 28-34 and my HS are less.

The good thing is my ACC and head shots have improved on Pro Twisted Evil . Guess I should play that more. I must of had some kind of conflict with the pub client hitboxes and the pro. Not sure if the old pub client worked better with my config or what, but there is a difference between the two. I'm willing to take the decrease in pub and do better in pro Surprised Surprised

#84:   Author: gchip Post You have posted in this forum: Wed May 09, 2007 3:01 am

i tried the old mod again
tbh it sux

#85:   Author: HalfBaked Post You have posted in this forum: Wed May 09, 2007 5:31 am

I think the new mod is better for the most part. There are times however when I'll have my cross hair right on a head and miss multiple times Crying or Very sad

#86:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Wed May 09, 2007 8:30 am

To quote our esteemed collegue from the uDi clan:

Curves wrote: ›
Oh btw, I was reading the forum about the pub change to 0.7.2 and some
of the complaints that it had garnered. I think the regular pubbers need to
realize that with "corrected hitboxes" they may not dominate the way the
used to and will actually have to put some effort into some good shooting
skills. Don't let the comments deter you from your hard work of upgrading
the server. Keep it up.

Not sure that helps. I guess what it means is that there might in fact be a difference and it's just something you need to get used to. Perhaps the 'haxed hitboxes' in 0.6.x gave you all the accuracy you didn't deserve? Shocked Shocked did he just say that?. Yes i did. Razz Wink

#87:   Author: Plan9 Post You have posted in this forum: Wed May 09, 2007 8:54 am

BECK wrote: › Perhaps the 'haxed hitboxes' in 0.6.x gave you all the accuracy you didn't deserve? Shocked Shocked did he just say that?. Yes i did. Razz Wink

Awwww ... that hurts Beck!!!

Wink

#88:   Author: Volta Post You have posted in this forum: Wed May 09, 2007 10:15 am

BECK wrote: › Perhaps the 'haxed hitboxes' in 0.6.x gave you all the accuracy you didn't deserve? Shocked Shocked did he just say that?. Yes i did. Razz Wink

I agree...and that's why I am now shooting 45. Damn I'm good. Cool

x.

#89:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Wed May 09, 2007 11:47 am

MarsVolta wrote: › I agree...and that's why I am now shooting 45. Damn I'm good. Cool

x.

For real - my acc is better now too. But I was just saying that tongue-n-cheek, there may be legitimate problems we've yet to resolve.

I have a new question: Since the polls 11/15 - is there anyone who after a few weeks would change their vote (in either direction)?

Move vote is still: 'keep it'.

#90:   Author: Fuzzy Burrito Post You have posted in this forum: Wed May 09, 2007 11:50 am

Vote opinion changed to NO.

#91:   Author: StEVoNuB420 Post You have posted in this forum: Wed May 09, 2007 12:59 pm

Yeah I gues we can keep it. Were u able to delete some of the things u were talking about on the server beck.Like all the useless stuff that might overload the server itself?

Another question I have is.If the server itself is still in Chicago,why the hell is my ping up to 50ish again? As soon as we changed from Texas to Chicago it went to 20's,then it went back up.Yet Bob the Nailer is hitting 20-30 ping and he lives in Minnesota. Pete is also still getting 20's.Any ideas? Its not just me either.Lil, JJ and Dragon all have the same ping,and yet we all have different ISP's.Any ideas?

This happened before we upgraded also,just thought i would mention that.

#92:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Wed May 09, 2007 1:06 pm

I didn't change any settings. I was hoping that people cleaning up their client installations might help, as that posting from the SplashDamage forums indicated. I think Plan9 said it did seem to help, but then there is another posting that said it didn't.

As for ping issues, we're back to tracert reports and getting Maverick involved again. Especially since you indicated that it was changed prior to the upgrade.

#93:   Author: Plan9 Post You have posted in this forum: Wed May 09, 2007 1:28 pm

I'd change my vote to YES (don't keep it)... but that's just because I really dont deserve the acc I was getting Wink

And yes, cleaning out the pk3's did help a lot, but I've barely had the chance to play when the server fills up (maybe because it doesn't?!?). The few times I did, I still got some lag/fps issus in close combat, but I'd say not as many as before.

I guess it's just the price you pay for being half a world away.

-P9

#94:   Author: StEVoNuB420 Post You have posted in this forum: Fri May 11, 2007 8:02 pm

Well thanx to this ungodly post I decided to also clear out my maps from the folder.All was good till I tried to connect to the server and it said I couldnt until I verified my install or some bullshit like that.So instead of trying to find out which file I deleted accidentally I deleted it and loaded up my backup file.I thought it was all good.I even started downloading the files I needed for the server as soon as I tried to connect.Then it happened.One of the files started to loop itself over and over again. I disconnected,made sure I had downloads on and tried again.Nothing. So I decided to delete all files about ET from my comp and now I have to reinstall the game again. Sad

#95:   Author: DRAGONFIRE Post You have posted in this forum: Fri May 11, 2007 11:26 pm

it sounds like you are having some major troubles. i hope everything works out quickly. i was lucky. i took care of my mouse problem that i was having. i hope you luck. you need to start enjoying your et experience. if your game screws with you that is no fun, get your game together. you need to be reminded on how to get schooled playing et.

#96:   Author: Quazi Post You have posted in this forum: Sun May 13, 2007 4:47 am

I am to lazy to read all 7 pages. I stopped at 3rd or 2nd I think. So I don't know if it was already said.

Me, App and Plan tested hitboxes today and I can say it is ONE HUGE BULLSHIT.

1 - you can hit somebody if he is around the corner and you can't see him

2 - you can hit somebody if you shoot 10 inches away at the line of neck/shoulders

3 - you shoot head but you still get bodyshots

4 - when somebody prones his hitboxes are the same as he was crouching. You can shoot above far above him and still hit him

So my question is. Do we have to play on that mod ? Can't we go back to the old one ?

#97:   Author: MrBlack Post You have posted in this forum: Sun May 13, 2007 7:29 am

i think we should just stick with what we have now.
Im up and down, good days bad days but to be honest now im used to it theres not realy that much in the two, hitboxes have always sucked thats pub for you.

i was one of the ones whining for change so i say we all eat a bit of humble pie and thank beck for his hard work Very Happy

and that is not meant as Sarcasm

p9 no matter which one you go for your always gonna have that freaking crouch hax(lame)

quazi you'll get used to the hitboxes i am just dont aim for the person you cant miss lol

#98:   Author: Plan9 Post You have posted in this forum: Sun May 13, 2007 8:05 am

MrBlack wrote: › p9 no matter which one you go for your always gonna have that freaking crouch hax(lame)

You're right, and it's especially lame since now all crouching does is give ppl a bigger, slower target than when I'm standing up. Hax is not really the word for it anymore.

You know where I stand on this, but I realize that downgrading is never gonna happen. If you look at the SL listing of the 500+ etpubservers out there, you'll see that probably less than 10 % of them are running earlier versions than 0.7.X.

Question is: Do all of the other 0.7.2 servers also have the same warped hitboxes, or is there something we can do serverside to fix it? And I'm not only talkng about hitboxes. That goes for limiting processes to reduce lag as well.

Anyway... all I'm saying is that something has to be done, cause this doesn't seem normal to me: SL Server Stats

-P9

#99:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Sun May 13, 2007 11:30 am

DELETED RANT POST - NOT WORTH IT

In short, we might be able to tweak settings, but it ain't happening...

#100:   Author: Plan9 Post You have posted in this forum: Sun May 13, 2007 1:10 pm

Fair 'nuff, you won't hear another word about it...

And at least misunderstand me correctly Beck.. This was not a personal attack on you. I do appreciate the hours you put into this...

-P9

#101:   Author: Quazi Post You have posted in this forum: Sun May 13, 2007 2:36 pm

Plan9 wrote: › And at least misunderstand me correctly Beck.. This was not a personal attack on you. I do appreciate the hours you put into this...

-P9

Exactly. I didn't want it to look like an attack or something like that. I just wanted to give word, from my point of view, about that mod.

I can't even imagine how much work is with setting that shit up so I admire you BECK. You always put much effort in clan developing. Just thought that if some opinions will be posted we could get to concensus and make that mod better.

#102:   Author: gchip Post You have posted in this forum: Sun May 13, 2007 3:19 pm

reply 101

#103:   Author: Alkaline Post You have posted in this forum: Mon May 14, 2007 7:13 am

OK...Finally.
It's been a while, but I am finally getting headshots again. I played for a couple hours the other day and averaged about 2hs per kill everymap. Just took a while to get used to. Loving our server once again.

#104:   Author: razi Post You have posted in this forum: Mon May 14, 2007 9:20 am

bump for biggest thread ever on IOW? lol

#105:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Mon May 14, 2007 9:50 am

razi wrote: › bump for biggest thread ever on IOW? lol

Heh...not even close. Not even in the top 5. Joke of the Day still rules!

http://www.iowclan.net/php/modules.php?name=Forums&file=statistics

Too bad that thread (jotd) is trashed and unusable now...

To add some actual content here, not just SPAM, let me respond to the recent posts.

Ok - yeah I was pissed off because every few days a new crop of complaints come in. You're certainly entitled to come here and post them, not trying to stop them. My frustration comes out of the fact that no matter what changes I make, someone is going to hate it and complain about it. If I fix one thing to make group A happy, group B is mad now. So I make a fix to make Group B happy, well Group C is pissed off. Now certainly, if I was getting really shitty performance and the game didn't feel right to me, I'd complain and probably vote to bring back the old version too. I'm sorry that some of you are still having problems, I hate to alienate even members of our clan from wanting to play on our server.

The only thing I can suggest is (like Alky said) to try and get used to it. Honestly, I didn't see a lot of problems with 0.6.x, as I don't see a lot of problems with 0.7.2, so it's hard for me to understand where you're all coming from. You have to remember, the hitboxes are just that - boxes with 4 sides. They are not complex polygons that wrap the contour of the players body. So yeah, (pete and I tested this a few times) you can shoot outside the players body (a reasonable distance) and still score a hit. That's not different than the previous version, and I've got the demos to prove it. Therefore, yeah, you might be able to score a hit with someone who is "out of sight behind a corner". If the hitbox is exposed, you get hit. Plain and simple.

I'll say it again not to suggest changes, but we are using ETMain hitboxes - most servers are probably using 'improved hitboxes'. So that is why you probably see differences on other servers. Nort has expressed his desire to not change those hitboxes, and I respect that. I'm not going to ask for it anymore (cause then Group D will get pissed off -- get what I'm saying?).

There are so many factors at play here. Not only settings or code at play - but networking, pings, rates, tweaks, FPS. There are way too many things that may contribute to different feel and experiences for all people. You have to think about the dynamics of a game like this - how does the information of me pointing my mouse at one pixel on the screen and pressing the left button translate to different corners of the world to 15 different configured PCs? It's pretty amazing that it even works as well as it does if you think about it. Lighting fast response time and rendering of the fact that I am shooting at Plan9 who is literally half a world away from me. There are so many things that can happen to that information from the time I click the left button to the time Plan9's game decides where that bullet actually hits. Understand what I mean? What I see is not necessarily what he sees. We've all seen those demos of people aiming three feet behind a guy running across his field of view and score hits. And you're like - wtf! I wish I could aim three feet behind someone and get a hit. But you have to wonder, is that really what this guy sees?

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is - it's a game. It's imperfect. It's complicated. Maybe that doesn't make you feel any better. Maybe it isn't enough for you to just grin and bear it. Maybe it's not enough for you to keep playing at IoW. I don't know. But me clicking a few switches in the configs may not be the magic solution either.

#106:   Author: StEVoNuB420 Post You have posted in this forum: Mon May 14, 2007 10:39 am

As for what ur talking about some guy shooting 3 feet behind the enemy and scoring hits is true. I was on our server and it was only 3 of us.I was in spec looking at these guy go 1v1 and their ping was about 140ish. They were shooting each other and the hits registered even though the cursor was not even on the guy,as u said it was way behind him and he would still get the kill. Just thought I might add to that. I was also on a couple days ago and owning the shit outta Plan,App and Grindul,it was 3v2 me and Quaz spanked that ass. Twisted Evil

#107:   Author: Quazi Post You have posted in this forum: Mon May 14, 2007 10:52 am

@Stev

Hell yes. Was a great game.

Same was today with App, Plan, Shadow, Reg, HiddenInTheFog. It was brilliant. I scored ver 50 hs almost every map and didn't get under 35 kills except one map.

Maybe it's a matter of time to get use to it.

PS. Crouch hax still pisses me off as fucking hell. I swear I'll start to kick noobs using that bug.

BEWARE PLAN !!!!! Twisted Evil

#108:   Author: Plan9 Post You have posted in this forum: Mon May 14, 2007 10:53 am

Oops!!! Silenced Silenced Silenced

Last edited by Plan9 on Mon May 14, 2007 11:04 am; edited 2 times in total

#109:   Author: Alkaline Post You have posted in this forum: Mon May 14, 2007 10:54 am

About this whole shooting three feet behind. I dont think thats actually what is happening. Thats just what you see. What the person shooting sees is something different. On their screen they are actually hitting the body or head (hitboxes). But when you spec people (I think depending on their ping) you see a slightly lagged version of what they see. This seems to be the case whenever I spec someone with a high ping(100+). I have never seen this happen when I spec players with low pings. So yeah it looks ******, but its not.

#110:   Author: Volta Post You have posted in this forum: Mon May 14, 2007 11:30 am

yeah, something else you have to live with. its not thaaaat bad. Mr. Black has killed me a couple of times right when I thought I was far inside a corner already to where he couldn't shoot me. I asked, "how the hell did you get me if I was way past the corner?" and he said something like, "i could still see you when i was shooting, im gay", something along those lines. So yeah, what alky said. I can actually post two demos of that happening so you guys can understand.

x.

#111:   Author: Quazi Post You have posted in this forum: Mon May 14, 2007 11:43 am

Can't agree.

App, Plan and me tested it while STANDING, CROUCHING and PRONING IN PLACE. No move. We were standing still. And EVERY one said the same - you can still get a hit when you shoot "3 feet" higher. So it has to be a global glitch but nvm.

#112:   Author: Quizzle Post You have posted in this forum: Mon May 14, 2007 5:49 pm

Quazi wrote: › Can't agree.

App, Plan and me tested it while STANDING, CROUCHING and PRONING IN PLACE. No move. We were standing still. And EVERY one said the same - you can still get a hit when you shoot "3 feet" higher. So it has to be a global glitch but nvm.

Plan and I tested this aswell. It was a bit ago. By viewing the demo, you can't argue with "lag". We are standing still, we have both his pov and my pov demos on this thread.

http://www.iowclan.net/php/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2327

#113:   Author: Alkaline Post You have posted in this forum: Mon May 14, 2007 7:38 pm

@quiz and quaz: Communication break down. There are two issues here. 1. Hitboxes. 2.Lag from high ping and what you see when you spec those players with high pings. My post was about #2. I agree that you can hit people's hitboxes when you cant even see them. You are correct in stating that. My post was addressing stevo's comment about shooting three feet behind someone. I was merely pointing out that it only looks like that to the person that is actually specing. The player may see something different than what the person specing sees. It only happens to people with high pings and lag. Sorry for the confusion. But yeah it sucks that the hitboxes are like that. However, its a game and its like that for everyone. So in a way its fair. Its not like anybody has an advantage over anyone else because of hitboxes. And if you noobs could aim then you wouldnt have to run and hide and then complain when you get killed. Shocked LOL , jk

#114:   Author: Quizzle Post You have posted in this forum: Mon May 14, 2007 7:58 pm

Quote: › And if you noobs could aim then you wouldnt have to run and hide and then complain when you get killed. Shocked LOL , jk

lol

Sorry, I jumped in not knowing what the hell was going on ;]

#115:   Author: razi Post You have posted in this forum: Mon May 14, 2007 8:43 pm

i thought iow server was using improved hitboxes not etmain?....not to open a new can of worms but may i ask why?
i guess that's why my accuracy is higher here than on other servers? other than those hitboxes i love the settings...i get really nice fps here compared to 99% of other pubs and i get a good stable ping here too. i'm just busy with RL atm so have not been able to play as much as I have been..

#116:   Author: BECK Post You have posted in this forum: Mon May 14, 2007 10:24 pm

We can't change to improved hitboxes because Nort and epIc both say they suck. Even say if we do, then we will lose all our players. Apparently, the etmain hitboxes with g_realhead on (like we have) make the hitboxes as close to etpro as possible. Honestly, I don't know why we need to have 'etpro-style hitboxes'. If you want etpro hitboxes, play etpro. Wink

#117:   Author: RichieRich Post You have posted in this forum: Wed May 16, 2007 4:11 pm

BECK wrote: › If you want etpro hitboxes, play etpro. Wink

/amen

#118:   Author: ShellShocked Post You have posted in this forum: Wed May 16, 2007 5:51 pm

BECK wrote: › Honestly, I don't know why we need to have 'etpro-style hitboxes'. If you want etpro hitboxes, play etpro. Wink
connect 70.85.241.59:27960

#119:   Author: Nervous Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:27 pm

All I can say after playing about 2 hours is that whatever the settings on the server now, it plays "choppy".

The ET Pro-like look is annoying because it doesn't play as smooth as pro. Thought I downloaded the wrong pub .pk3, despite getting the one from this website.

Note, with the new machine I get well over 125 fps - constant. Not the HW.

Shot 47 percent and felt like everyone took WAY too much damage. Spec'ed and saw that a couple I was losing fights to were juicing so no big deal. Played FO most of the time anyway. Call it the new Nervous. You want to hear the funniest thing? Got complaints over arty (52 kills, only 15 were arty) on Oasis OUTSIDE our rear spawn from Allies!!!! ROFL. If I played med, oh my at the juice rants, go FO and get arty rants. Guess some people just like to play and not have the other team try to kill them. I "could" go SMG soldier I guess so all those folks could be quiet. LOL JK

Couldn't buy hs on this setup and on pro they are no problem. Eh.. Not a big deal I guess since I don't plan on playing much if at all. Still fun.

Take it easy.
J

It's difficult to complain about 40-47 percent for whole rounds with bastardized etpro head hitboxes. However, I think the mod as it is now is set up to be not like really anything. It's not like pub (acc is high but damage "SEEMS" lower), it's not REALLY Et Pro hitboxes and definitely not smooth as pro. So why not just pick one already. Same maps, server goes pro, or pub and put it back like it was. Crouch at least wasn't choppsville.

#120:   Author: PistolPete Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:04 pm

no one is ever happy with anything....just be happy people, be happy, as bob marley says "dont worry be happy"

#121:   Author: Nervous Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:15 pm

"Bobby McFerrin killed my grandmother." - Alec Baldwin on SNL

LOL

P.S. I know Marley had that in his lyrics. Just couldn't resist.

J

#122:   Author: mayol Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:22 pm

After playing with new version for a while I think it is definetely better than previos one.

#123:   Author: sum1else Post You have posted in this forum: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:34 pm

I actually like the new mod. It has a few upgraded features, and I don't see the gameplay as really changing that much. I didn't play on the old mod for very long, maybe a few months, but I like the new mod as much as the old one, if not better.
Instruments of WarET-Pub ServersI want my old IoW server back

Generated using printer-friendly.