Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,346 Exploit Attempts.

Server Trouble

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279757 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:34 am   Post subject: Note Server Trouble Back to top 

Those of you who tried to play Friday were greeted with a lot of lag and loss of shrubbot commands (e.g. levels). I'm working to restore that now, and I haven't heard from our host what they think the cause is. It appears the silent database directory is corrupted, all shrubbot levels assigned to your silent GUIDs have been lost. I'll see if we can get this restored from a backup, otherwise we'll just need to reassign everyone. I can try and do that as well.

General of the Army
General of the Army
279757 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:36 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

According to the host, the cause was a bad disk and the disk has or is being replaced.

Admin
Admin
30699 Points

USA US California
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:16 pm   Post subject:  ET Server Back to top 

Any estimate on when the ET server will be fully restored? I went on today and checked, but server still doesn't have any of the original configuration.

Thanks.

Download Post  No rating  
Sir Sux-A-Lot
Admin
Admin
38083 Points

France US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:56 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

QT I merged your topic with the already existing one to keep the discussion in one place.

General of the Army
General of the Army
279757 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:24 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Unfortunately, the entire database has been corrupted and lost. Everyone will have to be re-added by the game system when connecting, and all shrubbot level assignments will need to be re-made. I will connect shortly and do this for myself via RCON, and will certainly be on tonight to set everyone's levels as I see you. At least anyone who is playing tonight will be set to their proper levels.

I'm not sure what this means regarding all the KR and PR related stats - those might be reset as well.

General of the Army
General of the Army
279757 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:50 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Okay, new database seems to be working - carrying over XP and maintaining shrubbot (admin) levels from map to map, even after a server restart. But all users will be considered 'new', so everyone will need to be reset by an admin. I will be around tonight, so no worries there.

Retired
Retired
26782 Points

USA US Arizona
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:25 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

How does one bad drive corrupt a data base? Are we being hosted on a home PC without any raid? Smile No backups? No storage based snapshots?

Download Post  No rating  
Sin
Admin
Admin
87019 Points

USA US Michigan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:14 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Yeah, I think our provider is total amateur hour. We didn't hear shit or have anything looked at until the next monday. It's probably a small operation since if you go to the guys website, his business email is a hotmail address and if you want more details to message him on MSN messenger

General of the Army
279757 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:21 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

why are you hating on our host? I've never had any problems getting a hold of him, any problems we've had in 15 years have been few and far between, and I think we get a lot of value for the price that we pay. Servers crash. Disks fail.

Its not that a "proper" database was corrupted -- it is the game's database that was corrupted, which is just a file called 'userdb.db' and 'userxdb.db'. These files were possibly open or actively being written to when the problem happened. Either way, they were hosed and corrupted and unable to load any information.

Admin
Admin
87019 Points

USA US Michigan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:11 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

After bakeds comment I thought we were all getting our pitchforks out

Retired
26782 Points

USA US Arizona
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:03 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

lol I'm sorry..

Well a storage based snapshot is crash consistent and not application consistent.. It can be dicey recovering a DB from a crash consistent backup. But if it's just a file and not an actual DB, the it should have been an easy recovery without any data loss.

Download Post  No rating  
ontheqt
Admin
Admin
30699 Points

USA US California
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:50 pm   Post subject:  Re: Server Trouble Back to top 

Is there any plan to get the server joining sounds back up and running?

Download Post  No rating  
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279757 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:05 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

I'll see what I can do

General of the Army
General of the Army
279757 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed May 06, 2020 6:52 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

This problem happened again.....waiting for reply from the host, but new database file had to be created again. Everyone will have 0 level and 0 xp. I've tested it out, xp save is working but all levels will need to be reassigned.

I'll start doing weekly backups of the database from now on, sorry for the inconvenience.

Admin
Admin
30699 Points

USA US California
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed May 06, 2020 8:05 pm   Post subject:  Re: Server Trouble Back to top 

Appreciate your hard work Beck. Thanks!

Download Post  No rating  

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic