Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,346 Exploit Attempts.

gatorhead
Subject:  Time for a new PC
Hello,

It's time for a new PC and I don't have time to research what to build, what components to buy, or where. I have always built my own systems, but similar to the games i prefer, I am way out of date on todays technology.

My current system is from 2009-2010 era:

C2Quad9550
Asus P5Q mb
gtx260

I plan on re-using the case/m/kb/monitor/ and possibly the PS. I will retain my current drives and re-configure them for media/swapfile usage, but am looking to pick up a system drive as well.

My main goal is that it must run the older style single-core games (ET, RTCW, Quakes, Urban terror) exceedingly well. I use process lasso for CPU control on my current system. All other games are an afterthought. Budget - preferably under $1000

Any input appreciated.

gatorhead

Download Post
Sir Sux-A-Lot
Subject:  
Unfortunately it's a terrible time to buy RAM and video cards these days due to lots of combined factors (crypto miners are hoarding all video cards that have more than 4gb of memory, ddr3 is nearing end of life and less produced, ddr4 offer can't match demand)

Your best chance is to buy a pre-built machine to get these parts at a reasonable price.

Download Post
Nort
Subject:  
currently it costs less to buy a prebuilt computer, due to the above mentioned issues.

Download Post
Sin
Subject:  
Sux is right. It's unfortunately a time where buying a prebuilt is cheaper than a custom built. If you live near a Microcenter they have decent deals on their Powerspec branded prebuilts.

Download Post
HalfBak3d
Subject:  
Sux and Nort are both right. I just ordered all the parts to assemble my new PC too. Thankfully I found a good deal on a GTX 1080 (under $500), otherwise prebuilt would have been cheaper for me too

Download Post
gatorhead
Subject:  Re: Time for a new PC
I went ahead and ordered components for a new system. Will put it together next week. I did explore pre-built vs components and while there was some value saved, it didn't seem worth the trade-off of hand selecting what I wanted.

Download Post
Jayd
Subject:  
I wish you would've said something beforehand so we could help you with component selection. Even though we all say it's a bad time to buy parts, I would have been more than willing to help you pick some. Ask Bak3d.

Anyway, care to share a PCPartPicker parts list? I'm curious as to what you ended up with.

Download Post
gatorhead
Here's what I went with.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JzGPsZ

Download Post
Jayd
Subject:  
Nice, that looks like a really solid build. Definitely overkill with the PSU but at least it gives you room to add another video card (or two lol) down the line if you want to.

Why did you pick up a new ODD though? Presumably your old build had one?

Download Post
gatorhead
My old drive is IDE, new mb appears to have sata only

Download Post
Venom
Subject:  
gatorhead wrote (View Post): ›
My old drive is IDE, new mb appears to have sata only

You can get a adapter but I would just buy a newer harddrive

Download Post
Jayd