Discord
Arrow IoW Discord Server

Server Monitor

Searching

Advanced Search

Style Select
Script by webmedic, v1.0.5

security

phpBB Security ©  Has Blocked 2,348 Exploit Attempts.

Recording game play

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:10 pm   Post subject:  Recording game play Back to top 

So - what do people use to record game play? Up until recently, I actually still used XFire to record demo playback, then convert it to MPEG format to upload to YouTube. Tried to do that last week and the X-Fire overlay just wouldn't show up inside ET. Even after X-Fire died, it still used to work up until recently.

So I started looking for other tools for recording desktop stuff. I'm running Windows 7. On my other PC (where I made my Factorio vids) is Windows 10, so there is the X-Box app on there that I used to record that game play, but no such luck on Win 7. I'm a bit jittery about downloading and installing crap I find on the internet, just wondering if people had any good and safe suggestions for free software for Win 7 that is good for recording demos? And dammit Microsoft, how has it taken you until Windows 10 to add this as part of the OS?

Thanks!

General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:10 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I'm asking because I still need to make a vid of that amazing rnade kill on Vick.

It's probably not as amazing as I remember, but I want to do it anyway Laughing

Retired
Retired
26782 Points

USA US Arizona
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:32 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Plus it's Vick, so it's worth humiliating him. Smile

Download Post  Rating: Acknowledged  
BECK
General of the Army
General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:10 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

lol, right?!

Major
Major
9538 Points

Canada CA British Columbia
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:21 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Not sure if this will work with this video, but a few guys I know use Twitch tv to record games and share on forums. Looks good.

Brigadier General
Brigadier General
67080 Points

USA US Ohio
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:15 pm   Post subject:  Re: Recording game play Back to top 

I know that some people used to use fraps to record stuff. You could definitely use OBS, which is what I used to stream with back when I streamed LoL, but you can record locally with it too.

There's also this slightly annoying guy that does a little tutorial thing about it.

Download Post  No rating  
allagor
Senior Admin
Senior Admin
44798 Points

USA US Illinois
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:48 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I record on windows using shadowplay, but that's limited to newer nvidia cards (650 & up I think). On linux I've used OBS to easily record mp4 video. https://obsproject.com/

Admin
Admin
38083 Points

France US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:55 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I was using the thing that's bundled with the AMD drivers (plays.TV?)

Retired
Retired
32504 Points

USA US New Hampshire
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:55 pm   Post subject:  Re: Recording game play Back to top 

Yea NVIDIA has Shadow play with their 650+ cards and AMD has their own variant for theirs. (Best suggestions)

Admin
Admin
87019 Points

USA US Michigan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:41 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Shadowplay is really nice. But you should just get FRAPS Beck, it's simple and does the job pretty good.

General of the Army
279782 Points

USA US Colorado
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:20 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Thanks everyone.

Senior Admin
Senior Admin
104308 Points

USA US California
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:29 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

FRAPS always seemed to give me unrealisticly large files for what they are. I use shadowplay and it outputs the same quality for way less. FRAPS = 1min vid - 6gig file. Shadowplay = 1min vid - 500mb

Retired
36440 Points

Puertorico US Florida
Yellow Cards: 1
Yellow Cards: 1
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:45 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

FRAPS records uncompressed video, that's why. And no, I've seen ShadowPlay-recorded videos..they don't hold a candle to uncompressed video.

If hard drive space is an issue for you then just compress them yourself afterwards using something like ffmpeg or Handbrake. With the right settings, you'll get a way smaller file size without much quality loss.

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic